Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 PM

103 posts, read 194,781 times

Advertisements

I guess we are a bit of an oddity as we are ringing in the New Year in Maine this year instead of our usual summer vacation. Since we are moving up there at some point we want to get a feel for the winter time. Can't wait to hit the trail and get up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM

51 posts, read 90,504 times
If you want to enjoy the winter, it is a good idea to pick up a winter sport.
It might be worth inquiring if LLBean still has weekends for learning to cross country ski. They used to do this and you could rent skiis.

Clarissa

Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Clarissa, I will do just that! Thanks for the advice.

What I AM worried about is our vehicle. Because we have so many children we drive a 15 passenger van (like the one on Kate Plus 8). It's rear wheel drive so if we get snow at that time up there, I wonder how a heavy vehicle like that will fair?

I suppose when it comes time to move we may consider a Suburban.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM

740 posts, read 1,885,582 times
I have a cargo van and it is rear wheel drive and horrible in the snow. I put weight in the rear and snow tires and it improves drastically. I am sure you don't want to purchase snow tires for one trip and you might already have a lot of weight in it by the sounds of it.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,730,196 times
Newer all season radials will suffice in most situations. If your vehicle has a limited slip rear end it is much better than one wheel drive. I have one piece of advice with your van. Park it pointed down hill with nothing in front of you. It is nearly impossible to back most vans up hill on a slippery surface.

My wife has an all wheel drive van which is great in snow.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 PM

701 posts, read 1,085,545 times
Yay! You'll have a great New Year in Maine Have a great time and know that I'm green with envy.......

It would be great if you could try out the cross country skiiing too....

Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,455,971 times
Good for you!!! Enjoy. I'll be another one in the jealous boat! And we love pictures...... Just saying.....

Maybe you can rent a van or SUV for the trip?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,105,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Clarissa, I will do just that! Thanks for the advice.

What I AM worried about is our vehicle. Because we have so many children we drive a 15 passenger van (like the one on Kate Plus 8). It's rear wheel drive so if we get snow at that time up there, I wonder how a heavy vehicle like that will fair?

I suppose when it comes time to move we may consider a Suburban.
The heavier the better. If you aren't bringing the kids put some other weight in the back over the rear axle. The problem with front-engine, RWD vehicles is that there isn't much weight on the rear wheels (comparitively speaking), which can lead to traction problems.

The theory promoted by proponents of front-wheel drive cars is that because the engine sits over the front wheels it gives them better traction. However, I've driven front and rear-wheel drive vehicles and I much prefer the RWD to FWD. It's been my experience that once a FWD car loses traction there is no control whatsoever- you can't go, you can't stop and you can't turn, which can cause you to acquire a lamp-post for a hood ornament. With RWD (if you know what you're doing) you can still retain some elements of control that are lost with FWD.

Of course, 4X4 is still preferable to either. My wife bought a Jeep a couple of years ago and now she wouldn't trade it for anything. (She didn't buy it for the 4WD, she bought it because the price was right. She had never wanted an SUV but now she wonders how she ever got along without one.)

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
My wife has an all wheel drive van which is great in snow.
I was just going to ask if an all wheel drive does well up there. My husband has an all wheel smaller SUV (doesn't fit even half our family though) It does awesome in the snow here and we had 3 ft last year.

Chaos - I knew you would be will send pics for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine