Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,190 times

Advertisements

I like OTHER peoples' socks the best. When a friend of mine passed away I got her socks. Yes, I DID. I guess it sounds weird.

When I wear those socks it gives me more comfort than I can relate.
I wouldn't have JUST ANYONE's.

But she bought all her socks at waccamaw?? Don't know if you have those. Outrageously good things. Elastic that never quits. Wear em long or push em down, they come up over your knees. I'm telling you I wish I had a pair on RIGHT NOW.

What a nice thought.
I love those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Ok, MWB, that does sound a little odd to me! I don't wear other people's underclothes!! I have a real hang up with that one, though I can see how you could save TONS of money on recycled socks. Those suckers are expensive these days! Whatever happened to the 6 pack for $1.49?? I just paid $6.49 for 3 pair of regular little white bootie socks.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
maine you are very sentimental I like that in a person

Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
I try to "shop the flyers" I had a coupon for $5 off if you spent $30 at one store, I stocked up on the sale items I regularly use, then off to the next store for their sale items. I also buy 50 lbs. of taters at a time, and can all my tomato sauce, freeze apples, and pickle whatever I can get my hands on. I like to do up about 30 qts. of strawberries each summer but this year we weren't here in time. I store winter squash , onions and the taters in bins in the "shed" ,.. Note: in Maine a shed is often an unfinished room attached directly to the house. I have a kitchen door out to my shed and a door that exits it to the back porch. Great for yard tools, shovels, rakes and such

Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 AM

MWB, though I'm too OCD to wear someone else's socks, I do understand the sentiment! Sorry, didn't mean to discount that part of your post. I have collected various little "things" from my grandma's over the last couple of years, including a long wool coat that is so out of style I'll probably never wear it, but just seeing it hanging in my closet reminds me of her. It still smells like her! And I also have all her old jewelry and several doilies that she made. I wouldn't give them up for anything in the world!

Also, I have my grandpa's collection of old, broken pocket watches and I have his bench that he used to sit on and put his shoes on. One day a few months back, I went into his bathroom and there sat his hair brush, right where it was abandoned 2 years ago when he died. I picked it up and immediately got a whiff of the hair oil that he used. Of course it made me cry!

So, my friend, I fully under the sentiment and the warm reminders that keepsakes invariably bring us.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
it always amazes me how quickly a particular fragrance can whisk us away!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I have hardly purchased any socks (for us grown ups) since moving to Durham, NC 14 years ago. The kids love the loon socks we got in Maine.
We have a pile of odd socks for the kids and just wait til one gets a hole. Use it for a rag and match the other to one of from the odd pile.
I guess once I move up to Maine next spring I will have to increase my clothing budget to include socks!
You will want to add some slippers to that budget also.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM

There are some very simple homemade solutions on this site to replace store-bought beauty products. **I have not tried them yet, but by next week I'll report my findings!

Homemade Beauty Recipes

Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
One of the top things I see that kill a budget is take out. Stopping for coffee, going out to eat, and convenience foods are expensive. If a family of four eats or orders supper out twice a week, and the working parents each stop for coffee (or whatever) and order lunch out it can easily come to a hundred dollars a week, add in lottery tickets and it can really damage a paycheck. I know that parents and kids are tired after a long day, but taking the time to plan and prepare meals and pack lunches can help tremendously when you are trying to make ends meet.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
One of the top things I see that kill a budget is take out. Stopping for coffee, going out to eat, and convenience foods are expensive. If a family of four eats or orders supper out twice a week, and the working parents each stop for coffee (or whatever) and order lunch out it can easily come to a hundred dollars a week, add in lottery tickets and it can really damage a paycheck. I know that parents and kids are tired after a long day, but taking the time to plan and prepare meals and pack lunches can help tremendously when you are trying to make ends meet.
Ain't this the truth!!
I love my crockpot. Even though I do not work, I use it all time. So easy to make a meal and just let it simmer away all day. I did a big chicken soup in it yesterday.I make my own pizza crust. The recipe I have will make 4 large crusts, and it freezes very well.
Hubby has taken his own lunch since we've been married, and even before that. We rarely go out to eat unless its a special occasion, then we make an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine