Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:03 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

We're looking more seriously at Searsport, Stockton Springs, Bucksport, Rockport & Castine areas. We do prefer the smaller population towns and have learned that emergency work for DH is not going to be a problem. We also want to try and avoid the more touristy areas. Main Street community gatherings and fellowships are a must - not the churchy type things, though. Just good friends, good times and good food and drink!

Of these towns, which would you choose and why? Thanks!

Maybe we can get together when we visit and meet a few of you nice folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
I would choose Bucksport kinda centrally located between Bangor and Ellsworth I would also check out Orland. The only negative thing that I can say about Bucksport is the papermill in the dead center of of town It does'nt stink but can be an eye sore

Old 10-01-2006, 11:21 AM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
I would visit all of them to see what you like best

Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. We will visit each town in March, but a one day visit won't tell us all we can learn from the locals who know the areas inside and out. Also, we're coming during the off-season, so we won't see the brunt of the tourism and traffic conditions that only you guys can share.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:58 AM

53 posts, read 261,625 times
I would look at Searsport, Stockton Springs, Prospect, & Winterport. This little stretch provides much of the Mid-Coast "feel" without the extravagant Real Estate prices associated with some of the other towns (Camden). Of course anything right on the water is going to have a premium price tag, no matter where it is... but then again, everything is relative.

These towns are along Route 1 and 1A.. which are the main tourist routes in the area. A bit congested at times in the summer, cleaned well and early in the winter! Give and take.

Buying in this general vicinity will place you within 30 minutes to an hour of everything you want from mid-coast Maine living. Housing is relatively affordable here (a nice, newer ranch on 2 acres with seasonal water views- $176,000).

I would focus on this slice of the Mid-Coast. Lots of community spirit, if you try to fit in, you will be welcomed.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Castine and Rockport are really not at all like the rest in your list. Castine is home to Maine Maritime Academy, and is very upscale with substantial summer residents. Rockport is next door to Camden and is very upscale with very large summer residential swings.

Searsport is a pleasant "traditional" Maine village....very charming as you drive through it. Searsport of all of them, is a true port town, with a shipping point for fuel that really makes a positive impact on the tax base.

Stockton Springs....well, this is the town that the world forgot. When the "new" Route 1 was put in back in the 1950's, the main road bypassed the town, and the town shriveled. Now, there isn't much there, but it is charming and rural, with quite a lot of nice places at pretty reasonable prices.

Bucksport has had quite a rejuvenation over the past ten years or so. The Bucksport Chamber of Commerce has been serious about trying to find an identity for Bucksport APM, which means "After Paper Mill", because the mill will close sooner or later as it is uses terribly outdated equipment and its obsolescence will eventually kill it off, as will die most of the rest of the paper industry in Maine. There is a certain charm to Bucksport and it is a close and easy drive to Bangor and to the more coastal areas from there.

You really need to go and see them all, though, as your view of them will be very much different from mine.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:46 AM

Thanks so much for the specifics. That's the kind of info we're looking for. Can't wait to visit!

Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Castine is expensive, that's true, but it really is like living in a Norman Rockwell picture. Kids are safe, on July 4, all the kids dress up in HOMEMADE costumes and parade around the town; on Memorial Day, people walk around town and end at the cemetary for a quick ceremony....it's an amazing place. It's also pretty far from anything, which isn't so bad in summer (though I did get tired of summer people...even though I was one in earlier years...) but in winter it's tough. Or it was for me. 45 min. to Ellsworth, which makes things like a "quick trip" to anywhere, a fairly major endeavor. Also, there are a lot of rich retired people and rich summer people, but not a whole lot of young new people to the area.

I would never personally consider Bucksport. The schools are horrible, but even if you don't have kids..that paper mill is nothing to ignore. The houses are beautiful, but there is a working paper mill spewing pollution into the air every day. If this isn't a cancer risk, I don't know what is. Great real estate prices there, but I think it's obvious why...also very blue collar. I don't say that as a negative...I'm just saying what it is. You might like that, you might not.

stockton Springs is less touristy, even in summer, than CAstine, but it's pretty isolated. That may be a good thing in your case, I don't know. But it's definitely not a place where much is going on.

I haven't spent much time in Searsport though I've driven through it 1,000 times. Rockport is much more "urban" and much more densely populated than the others. Also much more traffic. If you're looking for an area with a fair amount going on...it is the best choice on your list. If you're looking for quaint, quiet Maine, that's probably not it (though there are areas nearby, like Appleton, which would provide that while still allowing you to take advantage of the CAmden area).

Also check out Belfast--great crunchy/hippie town if you're into that. And Blue Hill...more going on (esp. in winter) than Castine, more young people, good elementary and middle schools, on the water, and only 15 min to Ellsworth when you need a fix of something more than a small main street can offer. Also not too far from Bangor for an improved fix. Far from 95 though, so not the easiest daytrip to Portland.

I lived in Blue Hill for 3 years with my husband and kids (still go back every summer). Also I grew up spending summers in Castine (and lived there for about a year after Blue Hill).

Old 11-10-2006, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,165 times
You might take a look around Rockland - Owl's Head, etc. Rockland has a lot of retail establishments open year-round and the hospital is there as well as the airport with scheduled service. My sister keeps very busy and the scenery on Penobscot Bay is spectacular.

My brother has a summer home in Castine and most retail establishments close up in the winter. Also it's a lot of driving to go shopping etc. There is a year-round social scene surrounding the Maritime Academy but it's mostly retired Admirals and people like that.

We have also had a summer camp near Bucksport for many years, but Bucksport hasn't had much to recommend it plus there's a lot of traffic in the summer which clogs everything up.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:01 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Ditto what Stevenlear said. That is my favorite area along the coastline as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine