Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM

26 posts, read 57,523 times

Advertisements

I would agree with starwalker. Having lived in over a hundred towns and cities across North America, it is essential to adapt to the communities ebb and flow. All have their own set of acceptable and unacceptable behaviors. Be neutral, open minded and always smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 AM

48,190 posts, read 22,030,335 times
I have been an outsider all my life; I am a preachers kid, and like the military, that meant we moved at least every 4 or 5 years. Most of those moves were around New England and mostly to small towns. Then as I transitioned to adolescence we transitioned to Ohio. I have also lived in Indiana, Alabama; visited extensively in South Carolina and now live in California. I think I qualify as an "outsider" every where I go. I know how to meet people and how to find my community.

I am used to being an outsider. My lesson has been to appreciate the place I am and to try to understand its history and culture and "ways". To sample its food and attend festivals and parades and band concerts.

I don't have any expectation that I will ever be more than "from away" to many of the Maine forum community"; but I know that when I get there, I can fit in and be appreciated for who I am and what I bring. I have joined churches, served on the parish committees, contributed my talent and treasure. I know people have always been kind to me and I get hugged an inordinate amount of the time. I am sure people like me. They also probably think I am a bit odd, and I happily admit to that.

I also have an understanding that when I am behind closed doors, I am very proud and happy being who I am. My politics, my religion, my values, my reading habits, the influences that shape me, aren't the same as all my neighbors. My parents and church and education and experience did a good job of forming me, and at my age...Like popeye said, "I yam who I yam, Olive."

I am moving to Maine where my family lived since before the Revolutionary War. Although I never lived there myself, Portland is as close as I have to a "home town".
I know my place in the minds of those who draw lines to divide and catagorize people based on geography. Not to worry, I don't think I am better than the natives, I know we share humanity, and even if they point and stare, we are all trying the best we can to be the best we can.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
My only regret Elston,.. is that you'll still be pretty far from where I am. I'm glad you'll be near your family, I imagine you'll have wonderful times with your granddaughter! (hehehe,.. Buy a Volvo, just for the fun of it)

http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/5.gif (broken link)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM

48,190 posts, read 22,030,335 times
Hey msina, if I am ever up near you, i will drive my Honda across the little bridge in Milo and turn left (?) and ask one of the folks where Ms Ina lives. (and by the way, on my way up, is there anything I can pick up for you?) You are a real treasure and one of the natural resouces that Maine has to offer.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM

Just stop in the Hardware store, the pharmacy or the IGA, ask for me by name. My last name is unusual here, I always have to spell it so they remember it!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,758,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
You are a real treasure and one of the natural resouces that Maine has to offer.
I will whole-heartedly second that!!
You are so right, elston.

Msina is simply wonderful

Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Nah,.. just a chatter box. http://bestsmileys.com/blushing/3.gif (broken link)
Thank You.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
I was thinking of seconding the 'wonderful treasure' idea, there neighbor.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
I've lived here a year now and am often reminded that I am an outsider. It's pretty weird. People seem to get a kick out of it. I guess it makes them feel superior or something. I suppose it could just be some bad apples. There appear to be some kind people, but they are the ones that don't make much noise, so they are a challenge to find.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manywas View Post
I've lived here a year now and am often reminded that I am an outsider. It's pretty weird. People seem to get a kick out of it. I guess it makes them feel superior or something. I suppose it could just be some bad apples. There appear to be some kind people, but they are the ones that don't make much noise, so they are a challenge to find.
I am sorry to hear that.

Where my Dw works most everyone is from away.

I rarely hear anyone saying if they are or not, certainly not to the extent of telling me that I am from 'away'.

What area of Maine are you living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine