Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ohhh....drama, he's so good to you!!
I am a very lucky woman andf to think I found him when I was 17!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
ohhh....that's sweet!

and what a treat it is to have YOU on here this time of day!!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ohhh....that's sweet!

and what a treat it is to have YOU on here this time of day!!
Thanks...I love being on the same time as you. Today is one of my late days 11-8.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
yea!! me too you!!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 97,894 times
The locals will look at you like an alien. I'm not certain what it all about. It's just strange. Doesn't mean they don't like you ...it's just that you're different. Also....we've been here almost 7 years also from another New England state and it's not the accent. It's that w/ such a small population in rural maine...they don't get to see anyone to speak of from away. Locals have always been nice to my family since we've been here. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:12 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
"It's that w/ such a small population in rural maine...they don't get to see anyone to speak of from away."

That's funny. I thought tourism was one of the largest industries in Maine. I've read that the population swells several times its normal size during the summer months. That's a LOT of folks "from away" for Mainahs to gawk at!

And they looked at us like we were aliens, too. Then they asked what the hell we were doing there during mud season! They were the nicest people we've ever met in our lives.

You know when your 6 year old asks why people are being so nice to us that you're in the right place!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,608 times
Most of the tourism is along the coast. Jamming up traffic along route one and making me late for work. LL Bean has actually passed Acadia National Park for Maine's biggest tourist shop. I bet though its because everyone stops there along the way to Bar Harbor.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
seems to me -- having lived, volunteered, worked, raise family, etc in more states than just about anyone who wasn't part of a military family, that the quickest way to get branded (negatively) an "outsider" just about anywhere... and to make the locals want to keep you that way, if not send you back where you came from... is to start every sentence with the words "where I come from, we... "

I dunno how many times I have heard that and seen the automatic reaction to it... never a good one.

When I was a group leader, the first time a new member would say it, I would make an effort to take her aside during the coffee and cookies part and suggest that, while we were always open to new ideas, that particular turn of phrase was not the best... One of the things I was supposed to do was train other leaders... so I would suggest things like "have you tried..." or "how about..." and usually that would turn the tide. I also advised the new gals to spend 75% of their time listening, minimum, to help get the feel of their new group.

Also my experience the best way to fit in is to actually HELP especially in the behind-the-scenes, down and dirty ways... help clean up after the church pinic... wash dishes at the PTA chili supper... generally that way you also meet the people who really make stuff happen in town, too!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
Well, the last thing I would ever utter would be is, "where we come from, or that is how we did it down there." If it was so great, why did I leave, right?
People will accept you if you are yourself, not pretentious, and don't look down your nose at them. People work hard, all over the whole country. Mainers are blessed with a beautiful, pristine environment, but not such a great employment picture. But think about this, would you sacrifice your beautiful state for jobs? I don't think so. You guys have a right to be proud of what you and your state have done. Nobody in their right mind thinks Maine winters are tropical, but hey, if you guys can stand the cold and prosper, so can I. That is just plain and simple. Many people forget that the basic necessities in life and fairly basic. The old adage he who dies with the most toys wins is a load of baloney. Did you ever see "he made a million dollars" on a tombstone, no, you didn't. You did see, however "loving father.....husband......wife", those are the important things! Sorry to get on the soapbox....

I suggested to a Michigan native who always told me how great Michigan was (and how bad Florida was) that if it (Michigan) was so great, why did he leave. He just looked at me and smiled. He got my point.

The Mainers I met were gracious and hospitable, and I consider all of them to be my extended family. That is exactly how they treated me, and I them.

Last edited by maine4.us; 01-20-2008 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: grammar, left out words

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw View Post
My wife and I are contemplating the move to Maine. I am in law school (trying a second career) and am doing some interviews in Portland and Lewiston-Auburn in a couple of weeks. Maine seems like the perfect place - skiing, sailing, hiking, etc. and simply beautiful. But, we talked to a friend of ours who recently moved up there, though, and she likes it (neither her nor her husband do any of the aforementioned outside activities), but feels really "put-off" by the Mainers. She feels looked down upon, both socially and professionally, by the locals because she isn't from Maine (granted, they aren't the easiest people to get along with to start - tough eggs to crack).

Is this attitude pervasive? We are from the south, don't really have southern accents, but would sound different and the idea of being judged based upon the fact we are not from Maine doesn't really sound appealing to us.

Just wanted to hear others opinions and experiences.

NO NO NO...it's not pervasive. I'm from MA (probably the most unwelcomed state in Maine) and people have been super nice and friendly to us. Oh sure, they rib us about being from MA, but all in good fun.
You get what you give. Are you genuine? Are you giving? Are you a good neighbor? If so you'll have absolutely no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine