Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I've been watching the series on tv. Other than some extreme gun stuff it kind of reminds me of living in Maine and always having extras stashed away, just for a rainy day.....
Sorry, not in Maine. Just did a "new posts" search and this one came up, and I felt compelled to comment.

I love your statement about being a prepper...."other than some extreme gun stuff....." LOL That's like saying.... "Other than believing in that "god" stuff, are you religious?"

just sayin'

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 20,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We had an ice storm back in 98 when some people were without power for up to 3 weeks. Those who were prepared were not inconvenienced in any way. The Maine Militia had a kitchen set up and there was a very large soup kettle on a stove. It started as beef stew with vegetables and potatoes. Over time it also contained venison and moose meat. Careful study showed corn, carrots, lima beans, lentils, barley, green beans wax beans, soldier beans, yellow eye beans, hamburger, sirloin tips, macaroni and about anything you would find in a stew. Measures were taken to prevent turnips in there, but some might have been snuck in. It was called "miracle soup" because people ate from that kettle for three weeks and it never went empty.

WVOM out of Bangor was on the air 24 hours a day with local programming and messages from people offering their homes to neighbors. There was no power to the WVOM transmitter. Militia members brought 100 pound propane tanks up Passadumkeag Mountain to the transmitter to keep the generator running. When the governor found out who was taking the propane up the mountain he had the National Guard fly large sling loads up the mountain with helicopters. That was a relief.

One lady called in to WVOM. She had just taken a loaf of bread out of the oven and was having a cup of tea while watching the birds at the bird feeder. She volunteered to be the very last one in Maine to be reconnected to power. She was prepared for just such a situation.

Yup. Miracle soup. Maine people taking care of Maine people. The militia is us, just as it was in 1775.
... and this is why I want to move to Maine. The way life is supposed to be.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,901,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Contrary to popular belief, many Amish are well armed. Maybe you were thinking of Quakers. Don't make the mistake of confusing the two if considering thievery.

City-data has a good forum on preparedness:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/

Many Mainers are well prepared for any eventuality. They just don't describe themselves as "preppers". Self sufficiency goes back many generations in Maine. I have a friend whose family has been in Maine since 1634.
I have traced my family to the early 1630's (Maine). My parents (Dad, a 9th generation Mainer) knew the meaning of being prepared and they were resourceful. It just seems like the common sense thing to be.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 03-17-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM

885 posts, read 1,497,078 times
No branson, I just don't need assault rifles to keep me safe. I have plenty of weapons thank you very much.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:42 PM

827 posts, read 1,674,313 times
Any REAL Prepper will NEVER announce it to the world. They believe in OPSEC [Operational Security]. Only those wanting their 15 seconds of fame will broadcast it. And THOSE are NOT real preppers!!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
I'll go one step further, BoxCar Willie. In the event of shortages of any kind, get right in line with the general public for government cheese, powdered milk and powdered eggs.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:52 PM

827 posts, read 1,674,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern maine land man View Post
i'll go one step further, boxcar willie. In the event of shortages of any kind, get right in line with the general public for government cheese, powdered milk and powdered eggs.
yup!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM

375 posts, read 913,723 times
in FL when we had that set of 3 hurricanes pretty closely together, many ppl weren't prepared. The stores were completely wiped of food and water quickly afterwards, there were no generators to be bought, no charcoal or grills, nothing. FEMA brought in food and a hot meal once a day but it was miserable to wait in line. I wasn't prepared back then and it sucked - if you're counting on the govt to save you, what happens if the govt goes down? or there is no one to bring you help? It's our duty to "be prepared" - part of the prob w/the country is that everyone is counting on the govt to help...we need to go back to the old days where we have personal responsibility

Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
We seem to lose power fairly often. This past month it has been 5 - 6 times a week, though mostly less than an hour each time. Always gotta be prepared to go without municipal utilities.

River rises and floods out the road on occasion, so gotta be prepared for the road to be submerged.

Moose get startled at night and go running into / through stuff.

Trees blow down on a regular basis.

Can I exist when municipal power goes out? Sure, I gotta as a routine part of life.

Can I still feed myself without going grocery shopping each week? Sure, we produce most of our own food anyway.

Not so much because we are afraid of zombies, or aliens, fascism; but because I moved to Maine so I could strive to live more self-sufficiently.

Not really a 'prepper' though.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I remember when prepping" was simply called "putting up" whatever. Now it takes on a whole new, paranoid-sensed, meaning. Shame, really. I suppose it could have gone spastic back in the 50/60's with the Cold War and "Duck and cover" and grew from there.
I think it's gone nuts since the era of "Reality TV"

It seems the more drama the better. Sometimes I think we ought to go back to farming so people will be too busy to feed the paranoia. Oy Vey.

I also think that we are such a society of 'choices'' now, that the single thought of having to do with less may throw some into a tizzy.

I don't think about 'being prepared' because I grew up knowing how to survive on a lot less than my kids have. We didn't have the ungodly amount of 'choices' then that they have now either. We ate what was on sale, we put up several gardens, and we raised meats for a while. It was pretty simple to live with less IMO.

Now I could easily stand in a single isle for 15 minutes perusing the choices for a single product if I were so inclined.

I keep basic pantry items on hand (flour, sugar, salt, spices) along with canned goods and frozen items (still have green beans from the garden). I make most things by scratch as I've found that it really isn't any less 'convenient' to purchase over-priced boxed meals and it's much better for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine