Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,889,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where does one find a list of unorganized townships? I assume that places one out in the boondocks?
Here ya go:

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax - Click on the map

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax - Scroll Down

http://www.maine.gov/revenue/propert...y/taxrates.htm Tax rates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
... I assume that places one out in the boondocks?
Most of Maine townships [52%] are UT.

Some UTs are remote, others are not.

We are located off exit 199 on I-95, my Dw's daily commute into the Bangor Airport is around 25 miles.

Keep in mind that UTs provide a lower level of municipal services.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Does anyone know if there is a property tax abatement for age 65+ in Maine, as there is in Mass.?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,889,563 times
The state is in charge of exemptions not towns. There is no exemption for over 65. There is for vets, a homestead, and a few other tax reducers. Plus what we call a circuit breaker" Tax/Rent Refund program.

Maine Revenue Services: FAQ's: Tax and Rent Refund

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -

Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM

157 posts, read 327,862 times
Happy spring all!

Sorry, I just have to vent, my home search continues and it is so very frustrating to find all of these beautiful waterfront homes in wonderful locations, and reasonably and affordably priced for us BUT , and here's the big BUT, the taxes are just outrageously prohibitive to even consider seeing some of these homes, specifically I am citing some gorgeousones new on the marketin Belfast. Oh well, there's always Jonesport, low mil rate.

My sympathies to homeowners and real estate agents who are losing Buyers purely because of the high taxes !!! Whine whine, okay I have vented and whined but don't really feel better.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
Happy spring all!

Sorry, I just have to vent, my home search continues and it is so very frustrating to find all of these beautiful waterfront homes in wonderful locations, and reasonably and affordably priced for us BUT , and here's the big BUT, the taxes are just outrageously prohibitive to even consider seeing some of these homes, specifically I am citing some gorgeousones new on the marketin Belfast. Oh well, there's always Jonesport, low mil rate.

My sympathies to homeowners and real estate agents who are losing Buyers purely because of the high taxes !!! Whine whine, okay I have vented and whined but don't really feel better.
You can drive from the shipyard at Kittery up to Lubec and only do 275 miles, but the coast line is over 3,000 miles. There are lots of peninsulas, harbors and bays. A great many of those bays have a river feeding them. So you can have a boat in the water, with navigable access to the ocean without actually being on the ocean.

I suspect that if you looked 5 to 10 miles inland, you could easily find a home with lower taxes, water frontage, and the ability to sail the ocean blue.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 PM

157 posts, read 327,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You can drive from the shipyard at Kittery up to Lubec and only do 275 miles, but the coast line is over 3,000 miles. There are lots of peninsulas, harbors and bays. A great many of those bays have a river feeding them. So you can have a boat in the water, with navigable access to the ocean without actually being on the ocean.

I suspect that if you looked 5 to 10 miles inland, you could easily find a home with lower taxes, water frontage, and the ability to sail the ocean blue.
Thx. For your encouraging advice FB

yes I am expanding my search to include river waterfront, so many listings on the market, alot of inventory to choose from for buyers, and growing everyday. I have added a new criteria, mus have those tasty little wild blueberries on site ! Any idea when they are in full harvest?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
Thx. For your encouraging advice FB

yes I am expanding my search to include river waterfront, so many listings on the market, alot of inventory to choose from for buyers, and growing everyday. I have added a new criteria, mus have those tasty little wild blueberries on site ! Any idea when they are in full harvest?
If you want blueberries, I would plant them.

May to August.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,567,404 times
Quote:
No one ever challenges the school budgets around here, either, except for a few lone elderly farmers who have their say and are ignored. No one even examines the line items. The principal, teachers, parents all get up at town hall and make their case. I'm becoming a proponent of home schooling. It would be cheaper to teach kids in small groups in peoples homes. I bet they'd learn a lot more a lot faster with very little burden on the taxpayer, except for the cost of occasional evaluations.
NE Girl, I am not against home schooling, but I know of three cases where the home schooling hurt more than helped. I think that if you are going to home school your children you need to be qualified and up to date with today's criteria. School is so much different than when I was a child, different from when I had my two older sons. Now I have a first grader who is reading at third grade level, being taught at a more advanced level than I ever dreamed of in first grade!

Due to budgets, so many programs have been dropped from our schools. We have to keep up with the times or else we will be very behind other countries. I myself do not mind paying a little extra in my taxes towards my child's school as long as my child is getting the benefit of the extra!!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
NE Girl, I am not against home schooling, but I know of three cases where the home schooling hurt more than helped. I think that if you are going to home school your children you need to be qualified and up to date with today's criteria. School is so much different than when I was a child, different from when I had my two older sons. Now I have a first grader who is reading at third grade level, being taught at a more advanced level than I ever dreamed of in first grade!

Due to budgets, so many programs have been dropped from our schools. We have to keep up with the times or else we will be very behind other countries. I myself do not mind paying a little extra in my taxes towards my child's school as long as my child is getting the benefit of the extra!!
You make valid points. However, homeowners who do not have children and the many who are retired are simply not going to able to keep up. If the taxes largely due to public schooling are now stretching folks' wallets, imagine what it is going to be like in 5 or 10 years. And...it is a very sensitive subject, but many severely handicapped children must be serviced by the public schools, at enormous cost on top of teacher/admin pensions cost. There is a lot of debate on this, which is not the right place...but anyway, if Mainers think their property taxes are high now, I'd like to see what they're going to think in few years, and when they're retired. IMHO, something has to be done, not only in Maine, but in my state and all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: