Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

I just got mine out of the shop that week, they had to replace the master cylinder and two slaves, ouch. I had told them that while I wanted to change the oil, I could not find the oil filter. He laughed, and we looked together. Both of us could not find it, so he suggested that while it was in his shop getting the brakes fixed, he would drop the factory skid plate and see if the oil filter was hiding behind it.

Come to find out this model has no oil filter.

So now I have a 'stumper' question for any jeep experts, "where exactly is the oil filter on this model vehicle?" LOL

As for skid plates, I wonder if perhaps they just do not get factory installed on newer models?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:19 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
just in case you wondered what I have been up to this weekend...

Well I have all the paint applied and am ready to begin thinking about packaging. Somehow, I always though that "real artists" were free from the sort of deadline pressures that plague us designers and "commercial artists"... but I guess not. Maybe that's just the "starving" variety of artist? LOL

Anyway this is what I have been up to this weekend. Friday night I finished cutting and priming the "blanks" but not a single line was drawn nor brush decorative brush picked up until yesterday!
http://www.ursai.net/blog/BlessedYear2Wood.jpg (broken link)
This one was requested, on wood, 20" diameter, as the customer sent me a photo of 4 designs hanging on a gallery wall and asked for me to replicate them. Since this is folk art Inot copyrightable) and the designs were familiar to me I agreed. However, in the photo they sent me this sign was painted with 16 rays. This is incorrect; there is no proper use for that number in a sign.. . this is a yearly blessing (rays of the sun) and therefor I painted it as fortnights (24) which is allowable but uncommon. The center holds a six petaled flower (good fortune) surrounded by a protective 6 pointed star.
http://www.ursai.net/blog/BlessedYearWood.jpg (broken link)
This is another yearly blessing sign, similar to one that I have seen called the "Daddy Hex" though I have no idea why. I hope the folks who are getting these signs NEED the over-abundance of fire energy (they are not going to CA, thank the Gods!). Traditionally many of these colors were not used. In the old days, you used what you had... red (from the barn) white (from painting trim) and green (from the porch floor) were common. Other colors were not and color was not of significance as much in those days. Now, I often use color representationally and, while I am glad to fill orders, I would prefer that folks consult more on the significance of what they order.
http://www.ursai.net/blog/AbundantYearWood.jpg (broken link)
This is another one that I was not personally familiar with from my work. I found it on the web with some malarky explanation saying that the leaf motifs around the border represent family members support and that the multicolored rosette was for joy. I dunno who made that up or why but what it told ME, while I painted it, was that it was a prayer for abundance / fertility through the four seasons with yellow for spring, green for summer, orange for fall and brown for winter. Now, THAT makes sense!
http://www.ursai.net/blog/finalDesign.jpg (broken link) http://www.ursai.net/blog/AbundanceProsp.jpg (broken link)
Here is the last of the four custom designs finished and drying on my workbench. This one I wonder about too.. it is familiar to me, as you can see by the smaller image, which is the design painted in it's fullness on a prosperity box. WHY anyone would leave out the FAITH (unless they were either ignorant of what they were painting... or perhaps it was a Freudian slip?) when painting a prayer is beyond me... Also I have no idea why they painted the wheat images blue, unless here again they did not understand the symbolism.

These folks also ordered 5 of my designs from my website, painted on art paper for framing under glass. These I completed during the week.

I also sold the 24" exterior Love and a Happy Home this week and the check arrived this weekend so I get to ship it too! It is a Christmas gift and I will be wrapping it too.

Since all of these things are painted while in sacred space, this has been a VERY intense weekend!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:22 PM

454 posts, read 887,071 times
Star...they are gorgeous!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Wow very nice

Old 10-28-2007, 03:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,758,066 times
What beautiful work, star!!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:43 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Thanks... my eyes are crossed from painting... I do not paint color over color; each one has to be painted exactly next to its neighbor. Exacting work, especially with those contrasting colors!

I am going to have to replace my favorite brush, too... it's getting plumb wore out. I was fighting it on that last design to get a sharp, exact edge. Just have to remember next time I am at WallyWorld to go by the cosmetic aisles (not my usual haunt <g>) as that's where I got the brush. After being aghast at the prices and not finding what I wanted, I happened to notice the $1.99 sable hair eye shadow brushes, and bought one on a whim. I have used that one brush more than all the others, I think.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Very nice work. What talended friends we have!!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So now I have a 'stumper' question for any jeep experts, "where exactly is the oil filter on this model vehicle?" LOL

As for skid plates, I wonder if perhaps they just do not get factory installed on newer models?
Forest, I remember you posting what year your Jeep is on another thread, but cannot find it, and my memory isn't that good. I want to say early 50's Wagoneer, but just don't remember. Not that I'm any style of expert, but have built a few over the years and have owned one for way, way too many years. If I remember, the old ones didn't have an oil filter like we think of them, instead they had a canister type that mounted inside the engine compartment. About 4 or 5 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall, with a knurled nut on top.

A lot of the newer models don't come with skid plates anymore . When Chrysler bought them out the model line went right down the toilet. Yes they "fit" better, Yes they are more stylish, but they are supposed to be a Jeep, not just another Dodge knock-off.

Last edited by Bydand; 10-28-2007 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
nope....not yet....it's a 2007, so there's nothing on the market YET....they've just begun to come out with the after market bikini tops and such for it....but, the guy we talked to at the dealership today is currently designing one for his, and we'd just as soon see his product and buy one from him as from Quadratec
Try the guys at "4 Wheel Drive Hardware". They have a bit of everything there. If they come up empty look up: "Rustys Off Road", or "Tellico", or "Discount Jeep Parts". All of these places I've bought Jeep parts from and are generally a bit ahead of Quadratec when it comes to Jeep parts. That way you get a product that is guaranteed and has some R&D time in to the product. A local welded affair, while probably a very good job, may void the warranty on parts they attach to if something should fail.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Forest, I remember you posting what year your Jeep is on another thread, but cannot find it, and my memory isn't that good. I want to say early 50's Wagoneer, but just don't remember. Not that I'm any style of expert, but have built a few over the years and have owned one for way, way too many years. If I remember, the old ones didn't have an oil filter like we think of them, instead they had a canister type that mounted inside the engine compartment. About 4 or 5 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall, with a knurled nut on top.

A lot of the newer models don't come with skid plates anymore . When Chrysler bought them out the model line went right down the toilet. Yes they "fit" better, Yes they are more stylish, but they are supposed to be a Jeep, not just another Dodge knock-off.
Yes many of the Willy models did use canister type oil filters.

My previous Willy had a Chevy short-block V-8 in it, so this issue was not something that I had been exposed to.

I am told that the 'Super Hurricane' L-6 engines did not have an oil filter.

We have searched for one, and the mechanic even removed the skid plate looking for the canister nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine