Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 AM

145 posts, read 338,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I will need much better shelters to winter-over hogs. And after the first six months of growth their increase in size slows down. You simply do not get as much meat per pound of feed return.

I would like to have a winter shelter and to keep a boar and a sow, to produce a litter of squealers each spring. But we are not ready for that yet.

Right now we just went from one dozen hens [last winter] to four dozen hens [this coming winter]. One goat last winter, we had fifteen goats this spring, but most had died through a wide assortment of ailments, now we have five goats that we hope to take through the winter. Next spring we want to add 6 or 8 sheep to the mix.

Then we will be planting sixteen apple trees, and we will be building a greenhouse.
Busy,Busy, Busy!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,368,248 times
I know when my dad raised a pig for our freezer, he said the savings was approx. 11 cents per pound. That was back in 1975. The only real advantage is you know what the critter has been fed.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 AM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Folks pay $45 to $60per head plus 50 cents per pound to butcher an animal.

We freerange our livestock as much as we can, to keep our feed expenses down. However if you pen livestock and feed grain all year the cost of feed will easily quadruple.

We think that we can raise a hog on about ten bags of feed. Right now he is eating two 5-gallon buckets of produce and two one-gallon buckets of grain each day. I think that if we had more produce, he would eat that too.

The economics of raising hogs really depends on how much spoilt produce you can get. I know a local Garlic-milk delivery-truck driver who has told me that each day when he goes to the land-fill to drop-off their out-of-date milk products, there is a crowd of hog owners who fight over his dairy goods. Milk, yogurt, cheese; the hogs love it. And those guys will get into fist-fights over who gets it.

I do not want to be fighting others for hog feed, we have access to grocery store produce throw-outs: Lettuce, cabbage, apples, oranges, corn, peaches, tomatoes, cantaloupe, etc. He likes everything but pumpkin.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:42 PM

411 posts, read 899,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Really you don't have to wear anything just to please me.
That just sounded wrong, all wrong. lol

Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,432,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Yep! Thank you. I knew I wasn't the only dirty minded person around here!!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM

411 posts, read 899,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yeah, Sssshhhhhh! I'm trying to listen to Forest talk about KAF getting nekkid! You're drowning him out!!

OMG, you are too funny!!!

KAF, do I have another partner in crime running nekkid in the woods out there? Some things are SO much more fun when shared with good friends!
Oh yes, I do like to garden naked... and well, just about anything else. We were all born naked weren't we? And the Lord intended nudity as well. Dang Adam and Eve screwing that one up for us.

Quote:
Looks like the PERFECT place to get "free" to me! KAF, I'll call and ask your hubby if you can come out and play when I get there!!
Ah, hubby won't mind much. He may even get naked too. lol... but no hanky panky you understand. Ya know, sometimes I want to visit a nudist colony, but I'd never have the ummm.... ya know... to do it. lol

Quote:
Oh no, you aren't the only one. lol I'm a bad bad girl.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,393,584 times
You guys are a RIOT!! I'm sitting here laughing my ,..er Um youknowwhat off.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes maam

Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
[cough]

what?

?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, I do like to garden naked... and well, just about anything else. We were all born naked weren't we? And the Lord intended nudity as well. Dang Adam and Eve screwing that one up for us.

Ah, hubby won't mind much. He may even get naked too. lol... but no hanky panky you understand. Ya know, sometimes I want to visit a nudist colony, but I'd never have the ummm.... ya know... to do it. lol

Oh no, you aren't the only one. lol I'm a bad bad girl.
MY EYES!

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY EYES?

I CANT SEE!

YOU HAVE DAMAGED A PORTION OF MY BRAIN

I VISUALIZED WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT AND NOW I AM BLIND.

THANKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine