Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times

Advertisements

I'm sending "positive energy" your way elston. I truely hope things go well.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Thank you so much Msina! I have a good feeling about this one and if it isnt "the one"; well we do have a contingency plan. (To off set the loss we anticipate we are looking further north and finding some astoundingly beautiful homes.) Bangor and vicinity is looking more and more like our destination. I am rather excited and looking forward to a visit. But first things first, so I best go do my housework. lol

Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Elston, can I ask what is drawing you to the Bangor area? And do you intend to be in the city or in one of the outlying small towns?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Two things El: and this is all still very much in flux. Prices seem to be much less up in that area for more house and size of lots. We are prepared to mark our house down below the comparables in our area and take the loss now rather than follow a falling market bit by bit and never standing out as the best damn value in the area. That said we hope to find a real bargain in Maine to offset our loss. Home and yard are my priorities, AND my church and there is a Unitarian Universalist church that is a welcoming congregation.

The houses in Bangor (this is all sight unseen) seem more interesting and less like cookie cutter big square colonial "5-4 and a door" style homes like we were looking at in Scarborough and Gorham.

My DP has researched all the indoor tennis clubs in Maine and says the best ones are in Portland and Bangor (with Bangor's looking like it offers leagues and activities that match his age and level of play.) Tennis is the most important component for [him] us in choosing a place.

My Maine family are down in Saco so we are choosing a place tht is a bit of a drive (2 hrs) but when I think of it, tht is a lot closer than san diego to saco!!!! and when I lived in NH they choose to live in Maine (about 2 hrs away) and that worked out just fine. So I think family dynamics will work out very well, visits are intentional and planned and personal space is also respected.

Bangor seems like a charming city (though my youngest tells me that he goes up there for work and he isn't fond of it....but he likes Boston) and I was surprised it has the oldest continuously performing symphony orchestra in the country and a live theatre and some lovely parks and amenities.
I grew up in northern new england and Quebec and am not afaid of snow or cold; and when we get the late winter doldrums....we plan to go visit my other son who lives in SC...and see spring come in down there.

We both revel in nature, and while I know there is plenty of nature near Portland...Bangor seems to be ideally situated. We are looking at both Bangor but also the towns.
So this is all a new idea and speculative......but it is where I am today.

Last edited by elston; 12-02-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: meaning clarification

Old 12-02-2007, 10:42 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
I agree completely - sounds as if you have it all thought out very well. We, too, chose to use Bangor as our "hub" city, though we hope to settle along the coast. Prices are dramatically lower the further north you go, and nature is more abundant. And it is a gorgeous city!

There is a park right in the middle of town where we played in the snow for the first time in my kids' lives. It was picturesque! It would be perfect for romantic evenings on a park bench, watching the sun go down.

Our sweet Molly and Forest can share a lot more about the area, but I can say we were very impressed when we visited.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 AM

It's closer to me

Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 AM

storm coming
THIS STORM WILL HAVE A HIGH IMPACT ON THE WARNING AREA. A COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH WILL CREATE VERY HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS. VISIBILITIES WILL FREQUENTLY BE LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE IN FALLING SNOW WITH OCCASIONAL BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW CAUSING NEAR WHITEOUTS

Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
... Our sweet Molly and Forest can share a lot more about the area, but I can say we were very impressed when we visited.
Thank you.

My world view is largely very different from most other folks here on this forum. I see things differently, and I value different things.

What is important to me, might well be at the bottom of the list for most other folk.

When someone asks about CSAs, I know what they are talking about. When someone mentions wanting to follow the 'one straw revolution' farming methods, I am there.

I place more value on the rural, farming and forestry aspects of Maine. While many folks here value the urban night life.

I view things in terms of where are the lower taxes, the cheaper cost-of-living, and the greater personal freedoms.

When I express the parts of Maine that I have found that I truly value, I sense an amount of disagreement from the responses that I read.

I remain content with my world views. A retired professional soldier who is tired of many things and wants to focus more on growing things and having more personal freedoms.

May God bless you.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 AM

May God Bless You too Forest! And may all be well in your corner of the forest!

Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Molly, where are you ? thinking of you, snow is on the way

EXPECT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 18 INCHES ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. NORTHEAST WINDS WILL GUST FROM 35 TO 45 MPH AT TIMES... ESPECIALLY ACROSS DOWNEAST MAINE... LATER MONDAY AFTERNOON AND INTO EARLY TUESDAY. THIS WILL RESULT IN AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW... WITH NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS POSSIBLE AT TIMES.

Last edited by msina; 12-02-2007 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine