Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:32 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times

Advertisements

I like elston's suggestions, though I also like 007's of "Ebi."

I had two female barn cats once named "Betty" and "Wilma."

I have a Scottish Fold who came to me from Friendship, ME. His name is "Ferguson of Friendship." Or "chat noir." Or "evil kitty." Or...simply..."chat!"

I have a slew of bantams at the moment, and I hadn't planned on any having names. One of the cockerels gained the name of Earle Studley today. He'll wing dance a flower pot.

But, good luck with the gatos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM

78 posts, read 163,547 times
Hmmm....what do your kittens look like?

I have a Scarlett O'Hara, I also have Georgie...I thought she was a boy so I was going to name her George Henry because my girls found her on a road named GH (George Henry) Wilson Road, I also had a boy cat that I thought was a girl that I named Annie because he was a beautiful long haired cat. I also have Belle because my daughter loves Beauty and the Beast....I now also have Momma Cat who was a stray with kittens, her kittens found homes but we still have her and I have never called her anything but Momma cat since I had no intentions of keeping her....but now she is becoming a permanent member of the clan.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I have Serenity, (I did not name her but she brings it to me).

I had Xaxu, (pronounced Sha Shoe), which, when you say it, it's an Ethiopian dialect that means, "panther". The spelling I got from the Brazilian kid's show host, Xuxa. I just changed it around.

I had Wenzel, aptly named after I got him from the shelter. He was brought in to the shelter in a Wenzel sleeping bag box.

I had Mycah. I think an acquaintance came up with that one.

I have Rani which means, "Queen" and my friend's housekeeper from Sri Lanka came up with that one.

I have Daniel Striped Tiger...let's see if anyone ages themselves with that one.

I have Casper, a black cat.

I have Morticia, a black cat.

I have Shadow, a black cat.

I have Blondie, a striped tabby type but she's very light brown with almost blonde fur in places.

Then there are my dogs who are named Shasta, after Mt. Shasta in California, (you know, where the real mountains are...according to "flatlanders"), and is my favorite area pretty much in the entire world.

And I have Sakari which means, "sweet" in Eskimo.

Typically, I can go for days or weeks before I find the right name for the pet. You can name them something that correlates with how or where you got them. You can name them something that fits their personality. You can name them something totally random. You can give them a human name. Heck, I used to have a rat named Lucy...why not?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:43 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
So we has Lucis, named after Lucis Trust in NYC

Nuri: a doplick cat who didn' treally improve by being named for a ballet dancer

Elva: From A horse and his boy in Narnia, she had extra toes on each front paw

Fruitcake: because he constantly came up and sucked on your arm

Eowyn: From Lord of the rings

Patima: a Siamese cat and we knew a person named Patima who was from Thailand

Rebock: She had white running shoes sort of

Rainey: Named by my 6 year old daughter after the Janitor in her school

Mina: From Bram Stoker's Dracula, also named by my daughter when she was 12, unknown reason

Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 PM

30 posts, read 32,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I have also known cats called Dog -- pronounced as dog and also as "dee-OH-gee."

LOL AWESOME!! We have a 160 + lb bloodhound mix named dog pronounced dee-oh-gee.

Alright so pet names mainly for cats. Well lets see....we have a cat named Darby (darby o'gill and the little people reference) We have Spike who looked like the black and white gizmo gremlin before going all mean. My son's cat was named Puck (from a mid summer's nights dream) there's Copper, Blinkin (robin hood men it tights reference, she was blind) Mouth, and Bombadil (LOTR reference) my first cat was named Boo-Boo. We have Sid, Fuzzy, and Princess.

My sis in Florida has 3 cats one named Meiko. Then Yuri and Teek who were named after philosophers I think. I like to call Yuri: Yuri-tard and Yuri-tarded.

I have a full blooded Bernese mountain dog named Brew or akc papers it's Brew Whiskey Revels and my son's puppy is named Witch Hazel (after an old disney cartoon with donald duck-my personal fav cartoon) and then there's also Lucky the dog my mother inherited from my other sister.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Feruggia and Ozzard

We named two adopted sisters Feruggia and Ozzard after the names on two election posters. Called Ruggi and Ozzie for short.

Also a happy coincidence for Ruger and Uzi.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM

454 posts, read 793,837 times
I try and let a name suit the cat (if possible)

I found a tiny kitten in a trash can covered with debris, dirt & dust, so she became "Dusty"... also have a runt, named her "Morsel" she is SO tiny even at 4 years old... and "Church" a gray I named after the cat in Pet Sematary.... had 2 black ones who both have passed on at 18 yrs of age; gave them Egyptian names, "Medit" and "Memnet"... and of course there's "Battina Belfry" cuz she looks like a little black bat

Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM

164 posts, read 240,625 times
These are such lovely, creative suggestions for names!!

I once knew someone who named her dogs after her favorite beverages:
Soco (southern comfort); Jada (Jack Daniels)
The pedigree line for my dog has dogs that have names that have to do with traveling: Fly, Tripp, Cruiser, etc.
When I was young, I had named my teddy bear hamsters after my favorite classical composers: Beethoven, Chopin, Haydn, etc.
So many choices!!
Maybe let the cats choose: put your favorites names on paper pieces in a bowl- let the cats reach in and scratch one of the pieces out.
Best wishes on your little darlings.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 AM

131 posts, read 410,807 times
Great ideas! We have named one Cedar, but are struggling with the second one. Any cool Maine mountain or state park names that would make good pet names? Our last cat was Baxter.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times
Not Maine related but how about Chips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine