Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM

404 posts, read 778,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What? I drive that little stretch almost every single day to get back on the freeway from work, (avoiding the stop lights on Union). I have NEVER seen it! I will totally look the next time. From Union to Ohio, I would assume it's on the right because on the left all I've seen are apartment complexes. Is it past the DMV, (that mall that no one ever seems to be in)?
Yep That's exactly the place. It actually faces griffin, I think its one of the only stores in that mall that does....right behind the Uwash it. It's kind of like a nice independent shops refreshing after all the big box stores. Then when you done there go to Job lots on the other side and that is also one of the nicer dollar tree's I've ever been in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:39 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,398 times
Your dog will get used to the boot if s/he has to wear them. My lab even at 8 is a jumper, and with hard wood floors that we wanted to keep nice for sale of the house, we've had booties on him for almost two years. Most of them don't hold up for cr@p. And most are horribly expensive. With a little velcro, you can make your own with some fabric for inside and some plastic for outside. Be careful you don't put them high enough that they bother your dog's dew claw. That can be a real pain and entail trips to the vet.

Other than that my lab hates hot temps and loves it when the temps drop below 30, and there is a foot of snow on the ground. He also loves swimming.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
Yep That's exactly the place. It actually faces griffin, I think its one of the only stores in that mall that does....right behind the Uwash it. It's kind of like a nice independent shops refreshing after all the big box stores. Then when you done there go to Job lots on the other side and that is also one of the nicer dollar tree's I've ever been in.
Went there today. They have way better fish, more selection, better looking, than Petco. That in itself was worth the trip. (My tank is still cycling.) Felt bad for the poor little puppies and kitties...life in a cage sucks. Cutest little blood hound looking pup there...if anyone wants one. Poor thing looked so pathetically sad.

Anyway, found some boots there. Did have pink ones for the girl and some camo ones with some weird I guess fur or heck, I don't know what it's called, yellowish material that looks very warm, inside.

I went by my measurements I made for another brand and got them some boots.

When I got home, I was expecting a fight and then a stand off, and then more fighting and then some drama...surprisingly, that didn't happen when I put them on.

Started with the girl. She resisted a tiny bit at first but allowed me to put all four boots on her feet. Got them on and then she started walking around.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I wish I would have had my video camera. That was about the funniest dang thing I've ever seen.

She would stick her legs straight out to the side as she took steps and the sound the soles made on the wood floor just about killed me from laughing so hard.

Decided to treat her up so got some hot dogs and made her follow me from end to end in the living room. For a hot dog, there were no problems in the boots. The second the hot dogs were gone, it was like 50 pound weights on each foot, how she walked. I'm still cracking up.

Repeat exact scenario with the boy.

Problem is, they are too big. I have to return these and get a size smaller for each one and try again. But, I think that this could actually be successful. And I might get camo boots for both of them because they looked warm. The pink ones would keep her feet protected from the ice or salt but were more "stylish" than anything. But, we'll see. The pink were hilarious on her.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for telling me about that store!

Zarathu...two weeks! And then your dog will be here to enjoy the cold!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 PM

404 posts, read 778,277 times
Your welcome. Yes there are a few pets in cages. But Its like the old kind of pet store which in itself is cool, I'm tired of the chain pets stores.

Glad you found the boots and that must have been really funny.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks for replying.

I have lab mixes. What they are mixed with, I haven't a clue. Some people say a DNA test works, some say it's horse puckey so I haven't done one yet. Maybe I will some day.

Anyway, clearly they are mixed with something smaller because the boy is 46 pounds, (over a year old), and the girl is 24 pounds. These are brother and sister dogs.

Like I said, their fur is short to medium length. Short near the back end, mediumish length near their necks.

They have never been in the snow, ever. They have never experienced temps below 40 degrees. (It would get that low in Jan, Feb or March in Miami sometimes and did this past year.) But they have never experienced real cold, snow or ice. And they've never had salt on their feet.

I take them hiking sometimes and they do ok with "rugged" terrain like small rocks and uneven ground but again, it's not cold.

If I were to let them run around in the yard for a good half an hour with 3 feet of snow, I'm sure they would be fine.

But I'm thinking more along the lines of when I want to take them somewhere like hiking or for really long walks. Sure, they aren't sled dogs mushing along hundreds of miles a day but they would be out in that for a good 3-5 hours.

Is it necessary? Or would I be one of those people that I laugh at if I get them dog boots?
We moved to maine from southern california with a west highland terrier and a larger mixed breed terrier. The westie had previously been a NYC girl and loved to wear outfits and at one time even had boots for the rain and the vanity. She liked to look good.

In California her paws were very susecible to "fox tail burrs" and we had to be careful about where she walked.....she had no trouble adjusting to Maine ice and snow. We did wipe the salt off her feet when she came in, some of the time. She wasnt into hikes anywhere...cold or hot climate....she liked walking on sidewalks or plowed roads.....and she hated to have to go out in deep snow to do her business......I had to shovel her a yard to do her business.....cant blame her for rejecting the idea of going out into snow deeper than she was tall......I think there is a life lesson in that image somewhere.

The California born mixed breed...has pretty short hair.....she had no trouble adjusting to Maine.

I noticed that both dogs developed a much thicker heavier undercoat of fur and that seemed to protect them.

Now we have a beagle girl....from tennessee.....who only has 3 legs.....she loves loves loves the snow and freezing temps....never seems cold.... she loves it.....summer is much harder on her!

When I lived in NH....I had a black lab and shepherd mix.....he had no trouble with snow and ice.....and my son's lab bassett mix had no trouble in Maine winters.

I bet your dogs will do fine and will enjoy their Maine winter. (They really arent all that bad.....most days.)

If I were leaving dogs outdoors over night in the cold.....I would make sure they had shelter!!!!!! from wind and the elements.

Last edited by elston; 10-07-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM

75 posts, read 196,981 times
In regards to shelter, even in the car on cold days can make them cold. Some days up here get quite cold in Jan/Feb. A good coat is better than boots.

Unfortunately it sounds like the OP bought some cheap boots that won't last the winter and are fashion items

Old 10-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Don't smack your head, that is so rude. You have no idea what boots I bought. As I said, the pink ones did look to be more stylish than warm but they do have boots in her size to protect from the snow, ice and will keep her feet warm.

You can do your dog your way, I will do my dogs my way. I want to keep their feet warm and protected. End of story.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:08 PM

75 posts, read 196,981 times
touchy aren't you? Lets hope the pink fashion boots you bought don't get wet right through, absorb salt water or get plain salt inside, then superfreeze your dogs paws. Ever make ice cream?, you add salt to the ice to get a colder temp. It's the same idea with cheap booties. I learned my lesson the hard way, look like you will have to as well. Good luck

Old 10-08-2011, 03:40 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,688 times
Just scored a full set of camo booties for the doodle at llbean. Originally $49 but I paid $15 at their outlet store in Freeport with the holiday discount. I have always wanted to try them on him but didn't want to risk the high price if he just couldn't tolerate them (he's a big baby when it comes to things like that). He loves long hikes in the snow but when conditions cause ice balls to form between his toes he really suffers and wants to come home. Mushers wax has helped but not completely solved the problem. They had another half dozen there in large and xlarge if youi live close. Wish us luck!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
touchy aren't you? Lets hope the pink fashion boots you bought don't get wet right through, absorb salt water or get plain salt inside, then superfreeze your dogs paws. Ever make ice cream?, you add salt to the ice to get a colder temp. It's the same idea with cheap booties. I learned my lesson the hard way, look like you will have to as well. Good luck
Thank you but I'm not an idiot. If you had read the post I wrote, I said they were more "stylish" than anything but that they DID have other boots that would keep their feet warm. THAT means that they are waterproof.

Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine