Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 PM

570 posts, read 1,341,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
Last winter was my first winter in maine a subsequently my golden retriever's too. I actually did buy hey a tastefull coat but I only put it on her during heavy snow or extreme cold. She seemed to like it. I Noticed from time to time her paws would bother her possibly salt possibly from dryness. so I bought her some mushers wax....get it early in the season it gets hard to find and is like $8 and it seemed to help. Think of it like chap-stick for paw pads. Humm, I wonder if you could use chap stick?
Enjoy your 1st winter, your dogs will! But by march you'll be ready for it to go!
The musher's wax is a good idea. I'm going to get some for our pooches for this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Where do I find musher's wax? I'm still considering boots just because they will be out a lot...even as we build up their time outside and yes, some days it's going to be coooold and there may be a lot of snow. I just don't want to end up having them get injured in some way, (because of the cold), when I could have plunked down $50 or so smackers on some boots that would have prevented all of that.

I've never had a dog when I lived in snow before so...maybe I'm worrying over nothing but I would hate to learn the hard way.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM

75 posts, read 196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where do I find musher's wax? I'm still considering boots just because they will be out a lot...even as we build up their time outside and yes, some days it's going to be coooold and there may be a lot of snow. I just don't want to end up having them get injured in some way, (because of the cold), when I could have plunked down $50 or so smackers on some boots that would have prevented all of that.

I've never had a dog when I lived in snow before so...maybe I'm worrying over nothing but I would hate to learn the hard way.
Look at it this way...wait until winter, see if the dogs even need boots, and take it from there. Chances are they don't need them at all. Honestly, boots are really only needed when travelling some distance. We section hiked some of the AT this summer and found that my dogs pads were wearing, though for 15 years we have never needed them in the winter.

Dogs are not humans, and weather the climate better. Even if they get injured, it would only be a minor issue that would resolve itself in a matter of days. Don't fret. It's easier on dogs in the winter than the summer

Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM

164 posts, read 240,698 times
Hello!
I agree with those who suggested Musher's Wax. I have an Aussie- she LOVES the snow! I trim her paw hairs regularly, and apply the wax before we go out. This prevents those painful ice balls that stick to her feet. (Before I knew about this product, she would stop frequently on walks to try to bite the ice balls off, then her paws would bleed, then she stopped to lick them,, you get the idea).
I found the product at Blue Seal Feed store.
She doesn't really need a coat because she is a double coated dog; but she doesn't mind a coat for longer outings.
Boots?? She would definitely find them undignified for her!! ( I couldn't even imagine the look she would give me as I came toward her with them - hahaha)
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Prep and Pets-img_6940_2_2.jpg  

Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,397 times
Dog Boots | Dog Shoes, Dog Snow Boots & More - Dog.com

Tho we never used em on our dogs these look like the'll work OK.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Williams View Post
Hello!
I agree with those who suggested Musher's Wax. I have an Aussie- she LOVES the snow! I trim her paw hairs regularly, and apply the wax before we go out. This prevents those painful ice balls that stick to her feet. (Before I knew about this product, she would stop frequently on walks to try to bite the ice balls off, then her paws would bleed, then she stopped to lick them,, you get the idea).
She doesn't really need a coat because she is a double coated dog; but she doesn't mind a coat for longer outings.
Boots?? She would definitely find them undignified for her!! ( I couldn't even imagine the look she would give me as I came toward her with them - hahaha)
A fine looking girl!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
Look at it this way...wait until winter, see if the dogs even need boots, and take it from there. Chances are they don't need them at all. Honestly, boots are really only needed when travelling some distance. We section hiked some of the AT this summer and found that my dogs pads were wearing, though for 15 years we have never needed them in the winter.

Dogs are not humans, and weather the climate better. Even if they get injured, it would only be a minor issue that would resolve itself in a matter of days. Don't fret. It's easier on dogs in the winter than the summer
Yah, I just see people keep talking about ice balls and to be honest, I think it would be easier on all of us, (me and the dogs), to just slap some boots on them than work some wax on them. You should see them when I go to cut their toenails. The horror! They act like I'm going to sever their limbs.

And I have thought about waiting...I'm just afraid that the prices will go up in winter if I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Williams View Post
Hello!
Adorable dog. What a cutie! I'm actually going to start getting them used to at least having things put on their feet by putting socks on their feet. (Take them off, put them on, have them walk a few feet, take them off, etc over a period of time.)

But your paragraph about the ice balls has really convinced me to just get the boots.

I do think that they won't need a coat. I don't leave them in the car. They are either in the house when I'm gone or with me when I'm not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Dog Boots | Dog Shoes, Dog Snow Boots & More - Dog.com

Tho we never used em on our dogs these look like the'll work OK.
Thanks for the link!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM

404 posts, read 778,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

You probably are pre worrying and you may worry us out of getting any snow this year. In the winter I saw a number or dogs at the dog park none had boots. Mine didn't get hurt , she just pulled her paw up and favored it for a bit, it healed quickly. You can t get the mushers wax at petco..I think. or did I see once you mentioned you live in bangor? You could try that nice little independent pet store on griffin between union & ohio. I think dr foster smith carries it too.
But do look for the salt that is pet friendly They sell it every where including the true value. And Use the salt!! so you don't fall on your butt and then can't walk your doggies!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 AM

75 posts, read 196,981 times
HA!! if you are worried about the snowballs on their legs...you just wait until you see the ones that form on the chest, armpits, upper legs, rear, and sides.

What's funny is not every type of snow will form balls. You might only get 5-10 storms with that type of snow...the rest will just form ice and freeze on the dog.

Ah maine winters....so much fun.

My suggestion remains...wait until winter and deal with issues as the arise. Prices will remain the same until spring. Or just trim the under fur and arms shorter to inhibit the formation of balls to begin with.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
You probably are pre worrying and you may worry us out of getting any snow this year. In the winter I saw a number or dogs at the dog park none had boots. Mine didn't get hurt , she just pulled her paw up and favored it for a bit, it healed quickly. You can t get the mushers wax at petco..I think. or did I see once you mentioned you live in bangor? You could try that nice little independent pet store on griffin between union & ohio. I think dr foster smith carries it too.
But do look for the salt that is pet friendly They sell it every where including the true value. And Use the salt!! so you don't fall on your butt and then can't walk your doggies!
What? I drive that little stretch almost every single day to get back on the freeway from work, (avoiding the stop lights on Union). I have NEVER seen it! I will totally look the next time. From Union to Ohio, I would assume it's on the right because on the left all I've seen are apartment complexes. Is it past the DMV, (that mall that no one ever seems to be in)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
HA!! if you are worried about the snowballs on their legs...you just wait until you see the ones that form on the chest, armpits, upper legs, rear, and sides.

What's funny is not every type of snow will form balls. You might only get 5-10 storms with that type of snow...the rest will just form ice and freeze on the dog.

Ah maine winters....so much fun.

My suggestion remains...wait until winter and deal with issues as the arise. Prices will remain the same until spring. Or just trim the under fur and arms shorter to inhibit the formation of balls to begin with.
I'm not too worried about snow getting on them, (considering how I have heard and seen a few photos of how deep the snow can get here), cause I can just brush them off. I'm just worried about their feet getting too cold and/or icy conditions causing them pain or injury. Like I said, I've had a dog before and I've lived where it snows, before, I've just never had a dog where it snows, before.

Not much to trim on the underside...still waiting for that area, where they were shaved to get fixed, to grow back. Better hurry up if it's going to get cold here. Maybe by the end of this winter I will laugh at myself for worrying over nothing. But right now, I'm just anxious.

On another note in reference to some earlier postings and the thoughts on my dogs being maybe part collie:

I have looked up collies, (border collies), and dang if they don't act just like them in many ways. I also looked up border collie/lab mixes and some of those photos were spitting images for my hoodlum dogs. (The girl has the tiniest, tiny, tiny white spot on her chest.) Their demeanor, how dang smart she is, how loyal he is, how so very much they just love, love, love, "zOMG!!!!" love people, (and yes, I know labs love people, too but this is beyond ridiculous how much they love people), how they aren't always very good with the cats, (but they continue to learn), how he herds, and stalks, how she runs....I'm beginning to think that a couple of you are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine