Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Good Lord, has it come to this? Listing what animals you've killed with your car?
What is it? We can't answer unless we know what it is.

Who was supposed to be watching the bridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times
Just a few squirrels, I think. I've been lucky.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM

503 posts, read 1,026,007 times
I haven't hit anything in awhile but a moose ran into the side of my pickup around this time last year .

Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Good Lord, has it come to this? Listing what animals you've killed with your car?
Bumper Hunting! Road kill for supper.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
for the amount of miles i drive- ive been lucky (knock on wood)

A patridge flew in the side of my car a few years back-thump! didnt know what it was at first-stopped , got out, it was obviously dead, I felt bad for a minute, then paid homage to the patridge gods, and cut the breast out of him-

hit a turkey near belfast- I slowed seeing little ones on the side of the road, and this dumb one-come flying out of the woods head on in the windshield
so, I stopped got out, he was just shaking, i tried to help him up ...he just kept shaking,,,so, I had to do the humane thing, didnt want to see him suffer, so took the big knife out of my car, and took his head off with one swipe,,,,, said a silent turkey prayer and carved the breast out of him-it was good!

A deer come running out of the woods ten yrs ago...just hit the back end of the car,,,
was still quite a thump
got out of the car-it was a small doe it was writhing a bit,,,then stopped, so, im thinking, I could cut the backstraps out of this in no time, but I could still see it breathing, so approaching from the back (so the hooves wouldnt hit me, if it starts kicking- I put my arm under her neck and lifted her up, she let out a bleet, and slowly wobbled away into the woods

thumped quite a few things at night on 95 at night-didnt have time to react, and didnt stop-then learned to follow the big trucks at night-if a deer of moose is in the road, the truck has a better chance than me

had many near misses, everything from bears to cats....the one critter that drives me absolutely insane is the squirrel or chipmunk, darting back and forth in the road.....so you can try to miss it, but its a guess

birds irritate me too, dont like hitting them,,,,had many slam into the side of the car coming out of the woods...
crows are really good with speed, distance and time, if you can hit a crow, youve done well

Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM

64 posts, read 119,533 times
My old Ranger had an amateur radio antenna mounted top dead center on the roof, and that thing must have hit a least a half-dozen birds in its' lifetime. Doubt that it killed any, but BOY that must have stung!!!

Last edited by Mike Mc; 09-29-2011 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
Came up last year to visit. 1 deer 2 turkeys and who else knows

Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
...Who was supposed to be watching the bridge?
Um... shoot, I've been away from CD, and out of practice... oopsy!

I've been sooooo lucky in almost 30 years of driving.... I've gotten a bunny, which caused my then 6 year old to sit as far forward as her seat belt would allow to watch for bunnies for the next six months or so, a squirrel, and I've been hit by a moose. He ran into the side of the van and took off. I can still vividly remember the sound of antlers against the roof rack~ yuck. He was fine, and no where to be found after I pulled over to the side of the road and looked around! No deer, no skunks, no porcupines, no raccoons....

Worst thing ever was when an oncoming car hit a dog that bolted in front of him on a pitch black night on 181 near Beech Hill, and the dog flew into my car. It was horrible enough, and both the other driver and I stopped, but the owner came out of his trailer with a shotgun, screaming at us. The other driver motioned for me to get in my car, he did the same, and we both drove away. When I got home I called the police, and they told me that the other driver had all ready called it in, and they were sending a trooper to the trailer. I had nightmares about that.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 09-29-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I saw a dog chase its tail for 10 minutes and thought, wow, dogs are easily entertained. And then I remembered I had just watched a dog chase it's tail for 10 minutes.
HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...on 95...learned to follow the big trucks...-if a deer of moose is in the road, the truck has a better chance than me...
This is exactly what I have thought and now do. I figure if a moose bolts out in to the road, it will hit the truck in front of me and the driver probably won't get killed whereas if I hit it with my tin can of a car...I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Worst thing ever was when an oncoming car hit a dog that bolted in front of him on a pitch black night on 181 near Beech Hill, and the dog flew into my car. It was horrible enough, and both the other driver and I stopped, but the owner came out of his trailer with a shotgun, screaming at us. The other driver motioned for me to get in my car, he did the same, and we both drove away. When I got home I called the police, and they told me that the other driver had all ready called it in, and they were sending a trooper to the trailer. I had nightmares about that.
Ugh. I think having the hit dog hit my car would be worse than hitting the dog in the first place. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been, how gross the sound and the sight.

I can understand the owner being upset but a shot gun? Get a grip.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,398 times
This seems like bad luck to even talk about it....like breaking a mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine