Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I can't help it, but I've seen it mentioned on here a couple of times... The animal is not a fishercat. It is just a fisher. It is a part of the weasel family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)
My 8 year old is obsessed with Fisher's... well, the "phase" is slowing down.. But still I know more then I ever thought I would about Fisher's

Gray animal farm has one that is usually pretty active pacing about..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Our dog had a "meeting" with a skunk three weeks ago and even after several treatments still is referred to as "puppy la pew." Hopefully your dog won't decide to chase the black and white ***** cat.
Hey my neighbor, who is a chemical engineer, said there was a formula that all of the ingredients readily available that immdediatly counter act the oder of skunk on dogs.. you clean the dog with it.. I am sure its not a secret but if need be I can find out if you like.. they have dogs and according to him the dog being sprayed is no longer the catastrophy it used to be..

Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
I use a "de-skunk" formula of hydrogen peroxide solution and ordinary dish soap or shampoo. You can find the exact recipe on many vet sites.

As far as the term "fisher cat", it is a colloquialism. I'm sure the fishers don't care if you use the "cat" part or not. Fishers actually like cats a lot.

And here are some facts about hibernators.

Hibernation

Most mammalian hibernators will wake at some time during the winter interval. I've seen chipmunks many times in Jan. or Feb. as they take a quick stretch. Nature doesn't like absolutes in any definition.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
To scare away skunks and such just make a clicking noise with your tounge. they will usually saunter away. [very calmly as well]. I used this while working security at a campground in Maine and it would work almost every time [I did have one old grandpa of a skunk refuse to budge till he was done with the garbage the campers had not put in the dumpster.]

Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Most mammalian hibernators will wake at some time during the winter interval. I've seen chipmunks many times in Jan. or Feb. as they take a quick stretch. Nature doesn't like absolutes in any definition.
That answers my question about why they're storing so much food. Are you seeing them under feeders?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
I used to see them under the bird feeders , when I maintained feeding. these days I can't budget for feeding the birds, too so I see the chippies scrambling around the woodpile looking for one of their many caches.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 PM

75 posts, read 196,924 times
Re the term "Bug"...while with the Marine Patrol, we hear the term plenty. Mostly out near Matinicus..but then again they still use sails to keep the prow into the wind.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 PM

468 posts, read 758,756 times
Woodchucks are true hibernators and Maine has plenty of them, as nearly anybody's unguarded garden can attest: Groundhog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
Woodchucks are true hibernators and Maine has plenty of them, as nearly anybody's unguarded garden can attest: Groundhog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never knew woodchucks would, or even could, climb trees. Anyone ever seen one in a tree?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Yep, shot a few out of cherry trees. They climb for the fruit.

They are raised for research and have been critical in liver cancer , infect hep vaccines. One of the cleanest animals with few diseases and a good model for human research.

The males are fierce fighters and I have seen two males locked in battle roll out to the middle line of a busy highway and roll back, all the while ripping each other up.

Did a lot of long range shooting to help farmers reduce the 'herd' and after the shot you see all the scars and one eyed warriors. They are a tough bunch. See the other thread where I just posted a photo of a chuck who decided to rip apart the cushion on our swing and tear out the stuffing to line its den. That's a new one on me.

Watched a fox move pups into a chuck den and stay there for a few weeks. The day after the den was abandoned by the fox I saw a chuck moving back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine