Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times

Advertisements

Skunks are starting to put on winter coats and can look more white than usual this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Pretty sure it was a skunk now. Didn't see it last night, but definitely smelled it. By far the biggest skunk I have ever seen. Looks like his daddy was a bear.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM

75 posts, read 196,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I can't help it, but I've seen it mentioned on here a couple of times... The animal is not a fishercat. It is just a fisher. It is a part of the weasel family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)
Coming from Unity College, and having spent many years in the Maine woods. I am well aware of the technical name of them as well as the entire family lineage. I prefer to use the name Fishercat as it is representative of the local culture. Same as the term Timberdoodle for woodcock, bug for the North American Lobster. Or other terms like dooryard, stoved up, apiece regarding distance, or even the term wicked.

There is a reason why people love Maine, and it's because of small nuances like that. Much of the state I love has been ruined because of the folks who move up here from away. They come up, change names, enact ordinances, make tons of rules, slap up the posted signs and the next thing you know it's just like where they came from.

Not cool at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
There is a reason why people love Maine, and it's because of small nuances like that. Much of the state I love has been ruined because of the folks who move up here from away. They come up, change names, enact ordinances, make tons of rules, slap up the posted signs and the next thing you know it's just like where they came from.

Not cool at all.
Why mislead people? I have been asked (via a Maine-based publication I own) numerous times why fishercats look so different than other cats. My kid goes to Unity College. I'm curious now and will ask her if she's hearing fishercat there. I've never heard anyone in the four generations of lobstermen in my family refer to a lobster as a bug. I did once name a Girl Scout day camp after timberdoodles but then had to explain it often. I haven't made the connection between a misleading name and ordinances, rules and posted signs so I'll have to leave that one alone. I'm not from away. AustinB's gonna be shocked when he finds out he is.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Why mislead people? I have been asked (via a Maine-based publication I own) numerous times why fishercats look so different than other cats. My kid goes to Unity College. I'm curious now and will ask her if she's hearing fishercat there. I've never heard anyone in the four generations of lobstermen in my family refer to a lobster as a bug. I did once name a Girl Scout day camp after timberdoodles but then had to explain it often. I haven't made the connection between a misleading name and ordinances, rules and posted signs so I'll have to leave that one alone. I'm not from away. AustinB's gonna be shocked when he finds out he is.
The only people I've heard call fishers, fishercats, are transplants...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Honey badger.

Pretty bad ass and always remember: honey badger don't care.

The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube

Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Skunks have a wide variety of patterns and colors that range from bluish black to a roan color. Supposedly males have less white than a female but the white may be missing or it may be large double white stripe or anything in between.

I like to pick up roadkills for fur but one hot July day I came across a roan colored critter and had to stop to id it. Darn if it wasn't a skunk. Hide too thin in the summer and I was on my way to a business meeting and didn't have my camera. Had the color of a pale irish setter or roan colored horse.
Skunks don't usually move very fast because they know, that you know, the power of their scent. Neat critters often show no fear, which is also a symptom of rabies, so these guys get a lot of bad publicity.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Baby albino bigfoot.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
Coming from Unity College, and having spent many years in the Maine woods. I am well aware of the technical name of them as well as the entire family lineage. I prefer to use the name Fishercat as it is representative of the local culture. Same as the term Timberdoodle for woodcock, bug for the North American Lobster. Or other terms like dooryard, stoved up, apiece regarding distance, or even the term wicked.

Not cool at all.
Perhaps the reason they do that is too many people tearing up or destroying their property hunting "fishercats", and going on snipe hunts. Last I knew Fisher Cats were a minor league team from NH. Even spellcheck doesn't recognize the word. And BTW, I'm not from away either.

I still think it's a big skunk even if you didn't smell it the first time. I tell ya, next time tell it to wait for you.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
Best you keep your trash barrels in the garage or somewhere where the skunks can't get at them or you will end up with a huge problem. We had a couple "mostly" white skunks pass through our back yard on a regular basis through the winter. It seems a couple neighbors keep overturned old canoes in their back yards and the skunks use them for shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine