Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 PM

20 posts, read 64,992 times

Advertisements

I think this forum is so active because of the complexities and contradictions of the state. People are debating issues because people are trying to understand what is going on. The state is a mystery and thus people are debating about it trying to unravel what the "real" Maine really is.

The contradiction? There is the romantisized Maine ceated by artists like Andrew Wyeth or authors like Stephen King. There are also the super romantic, authentically unique, happy-time vacations people often have in the state.

Then there is the Maine with exceptional economic problems, in less visable rural or run down urban areas, with no real relief in sight.

How can a place be so great and so troubled all at once? Its quite diificult to understand. That's why I think there are so many posts. People are trying to figure it out. This mystery is also undoubtably part of the appeal of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
And here we all thought it was just because Molly is so cool to talk to!

I don't think it's all that complex. It's just life, and it's the same in any state you live in. It's the natural diversity of life to have ups and downs, good and bad - to me, the good wouldn't be so good without the bad to balance it out.

I think we tend to overcomplicate things.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
I agree El...and thank you.....it's not about diversity and sorting problems. We have a good time on this forum sharing information and opinions. I don't want to spend my free time on the forum sorting, solving, griping....I do that for a job!! albeit not for 6-8 weeks! And frankly, things are never as bad as they're made out to be Thank goodness for that!!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Im just saying this is why I think this forum is MORE active then others. Maybe there is a reason. I think my reason may explain why this forum is more active than other states.

Maine IS more romantized than other places I would say. Read through some of these posts and people will talk about how they and others have had utopic ideas of the state when they move in. I myself am guilty of thinking that way.

The contradiction is that the state also does have the one of the highest tax rates in the country and serious economic problems like the closure of mills and the slowing of its lumber industry.

This is an interesting contradiction and I don't think it is unreasonable to see this as a contradiction or a mystery.

Although some don't like to use this forum to figure things out, from what I've seen, there is alot of debating and the intelectualizing of issues going on, especially in posts regarding the state's economy.

Last edited by cullen90; 09-09-2007 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 04:19 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullen90 View Post

Maine IS more romantized than other places I would say.
I'm not sure I would agree with that.

Quote:

The contradiction is that the state also does have the one of the highest tax rates in the country and serious economic problems like the closure of mills and the slowing of its lumber industry.
It doesn't matter if there are mill and lumber jobs, if there are no people to work those jobs. The population in general, and the workforce in particular, is going grey. There are fewer young people and more old people. A very significant percentage of the population is at, or near, retirement age.

Some of those people may continue working but they are less likely to be performing physical labor that commonly employs younger people, at least not at the same level of productivity.

As more and more of the population leaves the workforce (as is going to happen in the next two decades) they are going to be needing more medical care. They will have less taxable income. Many will be relying on [inadequate] pensions and/or Social Security, some may even need other forms of public assistance.

Health "insurance" appears to be very costly. How are these people going to be able to get the care they need? How is it going to be paid for?

If there are fewer people earning income that can be taxed, how will the revenue be raised? Increase property taxes? That would again penalize the people who need help- if they are already struggling they certainly don't need another bill that they can't pay.

Does the State then take their homes for unpaid taxes? What do you do with the people then? And who will then pay the taxes on the land? Where would these people live afterward, and who would pay for *that*?

Quote:

This is an interesting contradiction and I don't think it is unreasonable to see this contradiction as a mystery.
The mystery I see, is how do we support a growing need on a declining revenue base?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:34 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
... Then there is the Maine with exceptional economic problems, in less visable rural or run down urban areas, with no real relief in sight.

How can a place be so great and so troubled all at once? Its quite diificult to understand. ...
Economic problems? no relief in sight? troubled?

That is a different Maine from what we are experiencing.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Cullen, where are you from? How much time have you spent in Maine? How old were you when you were here? I've read back a bit from your posts about a job interview gone bad, about how you always wanted to live in Maine....but it doesn't sound as if you've actually spent any time here. Just curious....

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM

228 posts, read 221,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
And here we all thought it was just because Molly is so cool to talk to!

I don't think it's all that complex. It's just life, and it's the same in any state you live in. It's the natural diversity of life to have ups and downs, good and bad - to me, the good wouldn't be so good without the bad to balance it out.

I think we tend to overcomplicate things.
Elcarim I sure hope when if you do move to Maine your bubble doesn't burst or the dream you are dreaming doesn't turn into a nightmare! Good Luck to you and your family

Old 09-09-2007, 06:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
The difference between you (LTTT) and me is that I CHOOSE what happens to me and when that is out of my control occasionally, I CHOOSE how I respond to the challenges. I don't set myself up for failure - I just don't allow it. That is MY choice - noone else's.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:15 PM

MollySmiles, I have spent signifigant amunt of time in the state on vacations, day trips, college interviews, and recently job interviews. I have thought about the state alot and have read about it alot. Desite all of this I have admitted that I see myself as an outsider, and there's abviously alot I don't know. But I have alot of interest and I think its OK to an opinion regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine