Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedg View Post
Ok I have to know now since its driving me insane....what is the Volvo line? Im assuming it has something to do with the 'two Maines'?

its the invisible line between the tree-hugging, bark-eating liberals in the portland area, and the hard-working folks in the rest of the state.

(this isnt my definition, i heard it on the radio)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times
I'm kinda a liberal but I do not want to live anywhere NEAR portland. I hope that makes me acceptable. I really don't like to label people so ... I hope I'll fit in.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Default Volvo Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its the invisible line between the tree-hugging, bark-eating liberals in the portland area, and the hard-working folks in the rest of the state.

(this isnt my definition, i heard it on the radio)
But just where is the line located? Okay, I'm sure that's a subjective thing, but approximately where is the dividing line?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
I'm kinda a liberal but I do not want to live anywhere NEAR portland. I hope that makes me acceptable. I really don't like to label people so ... I hope I'll fit in.
You know, I live down in MA, near Boston, and I can tell you that this area has many people who are called "liberals" but are not liberal at all, in the true sense of the word, meaning open-minded, and flexible in one's thinking. Many are some of the most narrow, rigid people I've ever known, and are very intolerant of, sometimes even hostile toward, anyone who disagrees with them even slightly. From what I know of Maine, as an outsider looking in--and this includes what I've seen of people I've known from Maine--I think the key is to not be the kind of "liberal" who is all too commonplace in the Boston area, but to be truly liberal. I think that in Maine if you genuinely accept other people's right to their points of view, even those views you disagree with, you should fit in just fine.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
I agree with you Ogre, and THAT'S exactly why this forum is so active. The people here in the forum are helpful, open and warm.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I agree with you Ogre, and THAT'S exactly why this forum is so active. The people here in the forum are helpful, open and warm.
Maine sounds better and better all the time. Maybe I should chang MY name to Mainewannabe. Oh well, maybe one of these years.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
The last few post have been fantastic guys!! What a great thing to come home to after running around all day!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
There's Molly,.. she's one of THOSE people,.. lol Nice to see ya Molly

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM

191 posts, read 518,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
Me too (kinda liberal) and me neither (about living in Portland). I mean what's a hard working tree hugger that loves Maine to do??

Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Thomas Jefferson is the most famous of the original liberals—and member of the Democratic-Republican Party. He’s my personal hero. And it’s widely accepted that he was one of America’s greatest thinkers in our short history.

I don’t HOW it can be done, or even IF it can be done, but somehow those of us who are considered liberals by Jefferson’s standards have to separate ourselves from what is considered mainstream liberalism and the stigma with which it has been stuck. However, the definition seems to change, sometimes to a great degree, from conversation to conversation as to the terms conservative and liberal. It makes labeling somewhat useless in reality, and it certainly does skew conversations once those labels are used or assumed without saying.

If some new label could be attached such as paleo-liberal or pseudo-liberal or some such thing, then I could belong to that group even though I tree hug and bark eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine