Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Healthcare provider in WTRVL: lifestyle change, slower-paced community, hometown feel, children

Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM

164 posts, read 240,749 times

Advertisements

Good evening all from Maine. This is my first thread post. I have read through most of the Maine threads and find your thoughts & opinions quite helpful.

Just looking for a bit of advise...there are job opportunities for a healthcare provider in WTRVL, Machias or possibly in Bangor. I'm looking here(Maine) for a lifestyle change. I need to leave behind the crazy stressfulness of living in the tri-state area (someone referred to straphangers in a different thread and I chuckled because I knew just what she/he meant!
I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the "me first/ give it to me now"/unfriendly/aggressive people I deal with day after day. Life is so fast-paced hear in NJ that sometimes I'm running just to catch myself! I hope to find the friendly, slower-paced community/ lifestyle that I feel I need and value.

This is where I need advise: I am the mom of three children aged 19, 17, 13; and my husband is self-employed but flexible. Is the change I'm proposing to them outlandish? What more should I know before thinking about such a change? Would we fit in? Thank you in advance for any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,723,137 times
Remember, It is what it is. If you have read through most of the posts then you have heard the "good, bad, and ugly" about Maine.

My major concern would be if it is not what you want it to be and you don’t like it. If you come here and rent, no problem, just pack up and move. If you buy, which may be tempting because I am sure the prices down east a way less than NJ, you may get stuck here trying to sell your home. And then of course, is the children. I can only imagine the change in lifestyle it will be for the children coming from NJ. Have you considered Southern Maine? Portland area. Portland though metropolitan is very livable and still much slower pace than NJ. Just a thought.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:56 PM

164 posts, read 240,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Remember, It is what it is. If you have read through most of the posts then you have heard the "good, bad, and ugly" about Maine.

My major concern would be if it is not what you want it to be and you don’t like it. If you come here and rent, no problem, just pack up and move. If you buy, which may be tempting because I am sure the prices down east a way less than NJ, you may get stuck here trying to sell your home. And then of course, is the children. I can only imagine the change in lifestyle it will be for the children coming from NJ. Have you considered Southern Maine? Portland area. Portland though metropolitan is very livable and still much slower pace than NJ. Just a thought.
Thank you for your reply! Well, the location I consider would be dictated by the employment. And I would rent and or work for a bit before commiting my family to a move.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,110,172 times
Wow you've got some thinking to do huh? I know it's not easy....we were actually considering a move out west earlier this year to an area we love, and there's a lot to think about! Would the 17 year old be in his/her senior year of high school? If so, unless there's a willingness to relocate on his/her part, the move may be difficult. We have a 17 year old and I know the reaction I got when I mentioned moving! It was rather scary.... Ultimately, though, no place compares to here. Nice place to visit, but not "home".

I've lived in Bangor, and I loved it. Big enough to have all that you need, yet still has a nice, hometown feel to it. And the surrounding towns are just as wonderful. Right now, I live 45 minutes from Machias. I like Machias a lot--and it's beautiful too! It does not offer a lot of the conveniences that you may be used to, but the trade-off is that you can be as much a part of the community as you'd like, and you will be in a small town. By conveniences I'm mostly thinking of shopping, and to some extent healthcare. There are no big box stores in Machias, not even a Wal-Mart, but there is a Sears outlet, and hometown businesses that will appreciate every dollar you spend with them. I will say that I've worked at the hospital in Machias and if you'd like to pm me with questions I'll be happy to answer what I can. I also will say that the hospital in Calais is usually also looking for new hires, depending on your field, so you may find that worth looking into. They typically don't hire a "headhunter" type of agency, so openings may not be as widely publicized.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine