Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM

764 posts, read 1,458,041 times

Advertisements

My Dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed when I was a child in Maine for a year or so and in Massachusetts for a year or so as well. I’ve forgotten so much of my childhood. But I remember my time in New England very vividly even though it was ages ago, and have longed to live there many times throughout my adulthood. My folks often talked fondly of Maine.

I’m falling for the Maine forum myself. I’ve been watching for a few weeks. It seems to me that the people in this forum have a very good handle on what takes place in Maine’s governance; have significant knowledge of the various parts of the State; are genuinely friendly and accepting in this written format; understand the economic, social, and political characteristics of the various geographic areas quite well; and are willing to answer questions openly and without stereotyping the inquirer.

There isn’t much strife among the posters and discussions are civil and extremely interesting in most cases. Possibly, people gravitate to this forum after watching many others and consider Maine’s forum the closest thing to civil discourse they're likely to find. Kinda like going to one’s Great Good Place with friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 AM

103 posts, read 392,334 times
I agree with you at all.this forum has thousands of peole to visit every day,and have lots of information,especially it devide into different areas.that's convience.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:52 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
My Dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed when I was a child in Maine for a year or so and in Massachusetts for a year or so as well. I’ve forgotten so much of my childhood. But I remember my time in New England very vividly even though it was ages ago, and have longed to live there many times throughout my adulthood. My folks often talked fondly of Maine.

I’m falling for the Maine forum myself. I’ve been watching for a few weeks. It seems to me that the people in this forum have a very good handle on what takes place in Maine’s governance; have significant knowledge of the various parts of the State; are genuinely friendly and accepting in this written format; understand the economic, social, and political characteristics of the various geographic areas quite well; and are willing to answer questions openly and without stereotyping the inquirer.

There isn’t much strife among the posters and discussions are civil and extremely interesting in most cases. Possibly, people gravitate to this forum after watching many others and consider Maine’s forum the closest thing to civil discourse they're likely to find. Kinda like going to one’s Great Good Place with friends!
thank you! and almost all of us are trying to keep it this way!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 AM

145 posts, read 338,991 times
Default cleaner air in Maine

I live in the Atlanta area and am thinking of moving to Maine for better air quality. The allergies and asthma here are insane!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,787 times
When the Brookings Institute completed their large study about Maine, they found that with no exception, Maine people are passionately devoted to their state. The Maine "brand" is very, very powerful in Maine and this forum is yet another example of how Maine people feel about their state.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
When the Brookings Institute completed their large study about Maine, they found that with no exception, Maine people are passionately devoted to their state. The Maine "brand" is very, very powerful in Maine and this forum is yet another example of how Maine people feel about their state.
Woo Hoo! YEA for US!!!

now, about those Red Sox....oh, wrong thread, sorry

Old 09-08-2007, 09:04 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
We can be an interesting bunch, huh? And I think we all like each other!! I, for one, can't wait to get settled in Maine and meet some of the new friends I've made on this board. I actually feel like I have already established a life there that I can't wait to step into. Thanks, everyone!!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 57,731 times
Can one of you impressively active posters tell me if it's possible to live out of the reach of storm surges and yet be within the reach of ocean breezes, in ME, NH, or MA?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Stay away from Texas, Louisiana and Florida! Seriously, I asked about hurricanes and such recently and was assured they are rare to non-existent in ME. And I doubt a snow storm will blow your house down.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Storm surges?

Well depending on how tall the waves are at the front of the tsunami that you are expecting. If the wall of water were 100 foot tall and coming directly perpendicular to the shore line, then you could well expect the surge to travel as far as a mile inland along the tidal waterways. If the wall of water were 200 foot tall, then perhaps some of it might travel inland a bit further.

I am not aware of any such wall ever striking this shore line however.

Most storms here come from the South-West, so they hit us from ashore. Not from the sea. So no water is surged inland at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine