Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 41,386 times

Advertisements

The point is! Your furnace will start running In Sept and will end in May. Click on the link both day were in the 40s. I have been here for 50 years and we always were a jacket in the Windsor fair on labor day. As far as bragging goes Its hard to think someone is bragging about a ten year old vehicle, another point it cost a lot to register your car in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM

48 posts, read 123,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAck View Post
Go back to mass.
Oh, right. Because everyone who can spell must be from away...

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:
The point is! Your furnace will start running In Sept and will end in May. Click on the link both day were in the 40s. I have been here for 50 years and we always were a jacket in the Windsor fair on labor day. As far as bragging goes Its hard to think someone is bragging about a ten year old vehicle, another point it cost a lot to register your car in this state.
and there you have it, another maine optimist!!!

Ive also seen days in november thats 70 degrees (out hunting, it's miserable)

if you want to lower the cost of registering your car- then buy an older cheaper one- those roadworthy scooters are cheap to register

id rather be wearing a jacket most months of the year than be in a stifling hot climate with unbearable heat- like the southern states are

the worst two months of winter in maine are january and february- cold temps and snow

outside of those months the weather can be anything- it can be a mild december, and it can be a mild march

Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
The point is! Your furnace will start running In Sept and will end in May.
We have been starting our heating system in either November or December [depending on temps].

Quote:
... another point it cost a lot to register your car in this state.
We have lived in many areas before moving to Maine. In our travels we have never lived in an area with vehicle registration costs as low as it is here in Maine.

'High' prices are relative. It may easily 'seem' high priced, if you have never experienced anything higher. I have.

Everywhere you live, when you pay a fee, it may feel like a lot. That does not mean that it is actually any more than anywhere else.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
... if you want to lower the cost of registering your car- then buy an older cheaper one- those roadworthy scooters are cheap to register ...
Which is a nice thing about a system that focuses on MSRP and that lowers the tax each year as a vehicle ages.

This way it gives the individual the option to choose.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM

68 posts, read 195,491 times
Not to defend "BillAck", because I am not, but once again, Forest Beekeeper, the information you are providing is seriously misleading.
If you choose to drive an older plain jane vehicle, then yes, registration in Maine is cheap. If you drive anything late model, the price goes up significantly and it only drops for the first 5 years. At which point you are locked in at that rate for as long as you own the car. Also, to say that you don't turn on your heat until November or December may work for you but most people choose not to walk around thier house in jackets and snowpants just to prove a point.
At our house we use programmable thermostats to control the temperature day and night. The day temp is set at 66 deg. The furnace does occasionally kick on in September and May when we are in a cold snap. Not often but it does happen. By December it has run quite a bit.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb01 View Post
Not to defend "BillAck", because I am not, but once again, Forest Beekeeper, the information you are providing is seriously misleading. If you choose to drive an older plain jane vehicle, then yes, registration in Maine is cheap. If you drive anything late model, the price goes up significantly and it only drops for the first 5 years. At which point you are locked in at that rate for as long as you own the car.
As I said: "a nice thing about a system that focuses on MSRP and that lowers the tax each year as a vehicle ages. This way it gives the individual the option to choose."

You know and I know that a higher priced vehicle will have a higher tax. We also both know that newer vehicles have higher tax. Knowledge is power and with this we each have options.

I am sorry if you feel that having knowledge and options is misleading.

The fact of the matter is that I was paying over $600 for taxes and registration fees for our family car before we moved to Maine. Suddenly registering that car in Maine the cost went way down.

Last month I got my pickup truck re-registered. It cost me $64. I still have the receipt laying on my desk. There is no way I could have gotten it done in any of our previous states for this cheap.

Maine uses a system that allows the vehicle purchaser to choose if he/she wants to pay more or less in taxes. Which I think is great!

Quote:
... Also, to say that you don't turn on your heat until November or December may work for you but most people choose not to walk around thier house in jackets and snowpants just to prove a point.
At our house we use programmable thermostats to control the temperature day and night. The day temp is set at 66 deg. The furnace does occasionally kick on in September and May when we are in a cold snap. Not often but it does happen. By December it has run quite a bit.
Jackets and snow pants what a thought. Have never done that, but I can see where it might apply in an under-insulated house.

Many homes in Maine appear to be way under-insulated.

Also I wonder about how much passive solar-gain heats homes in Maine. In the winter we get a lot of heat from our windows. [of course I guess we gets some heat from them in the summers too, which is why we have window fans running]

In the winter, we can be gone all day, with the woodstove 'cold', and often come home to a house that holds at 50F. Mostly I think from the solar-gain.

When it is minus temps outside, and assuming the house never gets below 50F it does not take long for the woodstove to have the house warm and toasty. But then again we only see minus temps for a few months, and rarely in October.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
Oh, right. Because everyone who can spell must be from away...
Or have a computer program that corrects your mistakes. Sometimes you guys are so mean (LOL). Why can't we all just get along. (Jack Nicholson quote from Mars Attacks.)

Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 AM

26 posts, read 41,386 times
May 4 and we are still burning oil and wood ! how about you ?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 AM

701 posts, read 1,084,138 times
Quote:
May 4 and we are still burning oil and wood ! how about you ?
Hey, we've been running the air conditioner. Wanna trade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine