Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

I like the flatlands of Maine.

I grew up in a state with mountains, and I do find that I rather miss living in a state with mountains. However this flat land [Maine] is nice too.

It is nice being able to drive along these low-altitude 'mountains' that exist in Maine without the need to re-tune your vehicle's carb to run on thin air. Which is so common in Mountainous regions.

For being such a low-altitude state [entirely devoid of any true 'mountains'] I find intriguing the usage of the term 'flatlander' for anyone that is from a mountainous region.

Any hill that does not exceed 10,000 foot altitude is not a true mountain.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAck View Post
If your moving to Augusta ... you will need to heat your house 9 months out of the year.
In Augusta Maine?

Not Alaska. Not anywhere near the Arctic Circle, but Maine.

I find it hard to imagine anyone living in Maine, needing heat more than 5 months a year.

Quote:
... 95% of the house heat with oil at 3.50 a gal so the average house runs about 4K a year to heat.
I do not think this is accurate. I pay less than $1,000.

Quote:
... The cost to register your car will average 500.00 a year for a 2006 and up.
So you do agree that owning a vehicle is cheap in Maine. Good, I agree. It is much lower priced here in Maine than many other states. As you pointed out already

Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM

26 posts, read 41,331 times
Then you should know what the issue's are with Augusta and the State

Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Quote:
The cost to register your car will average 500.00 a year for a 2006 and up.
Wow! What are you driving that costs $500 for the excise tax? Our 2009 Prius isn't anywhere near that much. The first year was high, but it drops every year thereafter.

For anyone really interested in how much excise tax they have to pay to register their vehicle each year, the guidelines are at:

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -

Now, granted, you can register vehicles in Florida and a few other states for much less, but unless you're driving a luxury car $500 is on the high side in Maine. I know a guy who drives a $59,000 Audi who probably pays that and more. Of course, he can afford to buy a $59,000 Audi, so the excise tax isn't a big deal for him.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Last week I had to re-register my pickup, the excise tax was $64.

The combined fee was a total of $80 [which included the excise tax].

If I was still in Connecticut it would have been over $600.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
In central Maine we don't heat for nine months out of the year. This penguin moved up here to escape the likes of Bill.

Sincerely,

Opus

Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 AM

14 posts, read 42,204 times
I moved from Maine to Tucson, and back to Maine last month. It's allot easier adjusting to the weather in Maine than Arizona. Maybe it's just me but dealing with the cold is far easier than, the choking heat of Arizona. I like the Belgrade Lakes region Northwest of Augusta about 20 miles, there is lots of festivals and stuff to do in the summer. Oh taxes are not much different than Arizona and retail goods are cheaper. Milk, cheese and meat are far more expensive though. And traffic if u live in Phoenix u would never think there was traffic in Augusta, yeah it's busy for Maine but compared to Phoenix it's non existent.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM

90 posts, read 171,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
If you're looking for in-town living within a short distance to the Togus VA hospital, Augusta/Hallowell/Gardiner are all good possibilities. Because of all the government workers in the area, expect rents and home prices to be higher than average for the good places. You can also look at Chelsea and Randolph, across the river from Gardiner and much closer to the VA. All of those towns also offer rural living -- even Augusta has some surprising open space.

Be prepared for winter. If you can, find a house with a solid-fuel (wood, pellet, coal) stove to offset heating oil costs. If it's just you and the dog in a small house with good insulation, expect to pay $2,000 or so each winter for heating oil at current prices if that's your sole source of heat. If you have physical handicaps, add the cost of having your driveway plowed and walkways shoveled.
Coaster said it very well.
As for exactly where you want to live it depends on your budget. Don't forget to ask the land lord because in Maine utilities and such are rarely included in the cost per-month.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM

26 posts, read 41,331 times
Weather History for Augusta, Maine Weather History for Augusta, Maine
If your not heating your house on these days ! your cold
my 2002 Chevy pick up cost 196.99 to Register. and It been the same for the last six years.When I bought it in 2002 It was 987.00

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
... If your not heating your house on these days ! your cold
Not sure what you mean, our windows are open and we have window fans blowing.

Quote:
... my 2002 Chevy pick up cost 196.99 to Register. and It been the same for the last six years.When I bought it in 2002 It was 987.00
Braggart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine