Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM

527 posts, read 423,624 times

Advertisements

I'm all of protecting enviornment from waste discharge, human or industrial and moveable log cabins they build certainly are able to withstand very heavy snow loads and are meant for it more than many regular houses (and have great r-value)

However, the government has no business to tell me what structure I want to live in, as soon as I don't pollute anything/affect other parcels. If I want to die under a snow pack, it's my problem. Government can't tell anyone how they want to live or die. If someone wants to buy a house, they should have an inspection done. If they don't like the house construction quality, they can build another one or just not buy. They (government) just want to force giant mac-mansions to tax alot. And even though heating costs for these make them non-"energy effcient" for sure, they're picking on r-values of small properties or anything else to prevent people from living in them and paying small tax. The government has no business telling me if I should have my kitchen inside the house or separate structure, same for the bathroom (speaking of ridiculous oppressive building codes, including IBC). It starts with a little more "code"..."for your safety, of course"...it'll end in California-style urbanized swaths of subdivisions where you can't grow a potatoe without being fined, take my word.

Last edited by opossum1; 04-01-2015 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Some people love zoning and condominium type subdivisions run by an association. They need this type of living condition because of the control they have. Just beware that such people exist and they want to control you too. Do your homework before you buy and you won't have to deal with them.
How cold does northern Maine have to get, for those folks to move down south???

Old 04-01-2015, 10:10 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,205,393 times
The implication is that someone shouldn't be able to do what they want with their property, or a Municipality vote (god forbid a democratic process) in a zoning ordinance. But they should be able to buy a Governor who will help them out, exercise the State's eminent domain law (while claiming THEY themselves wouldn't be exercising eminent domain - kinda like "I did not have sex with that woman"), slide through legislation quietly that benefits them, and cut Maine in half with a private, fenced, paved, zero access (well, for us peons anyway) high speed highway from Canada to Canada. Then sell it to China. See how that works?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 AM

527 posts, read 423,624 times
I guess if you have a potole on your 20acres and some future buyer *may* trip and fall because of it and then sue the state, town or former owner should warrant removal or all potoles, trenches, or any other ground surface irregularities over 3 inches from all parcels! Also, what if you fall and break your neck due to the pothole on own land? Unsafe and should be unlawful, by the same logic of building codes "for safety", because somehow the jurisdiction is "obligated" to send an ambulance, sheriff and fire department to rescue you from said potole incident and you'll be a money drain.

Last edited by opossum1; 04-01-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
"How cold does northern Maine have to get, for those folks to move down south??? "

It isn't directly the cold. It's fuel cost which is somewhat related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: