Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Even in these, there're still pockets where no enforcement occurs
Always stay on good terms with your neighbors. Everything is legal until they rat you out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
"It's actually 30% by area or volume, which ever is least. That is for the lifetime of the structure. You wouldn't ever be allowed to double the size."

Not true. If you had a 600 square foot camp you could double the size to 1,200 SF IF you put in a legal septic system. It's in the law book.

Never say "never".

Old 03-31-2015, 09:23 PM

527 posts, read 422,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"It's actually 30% by area or volume, which ever is least. That is for the lifetime of the structure. You wouldn't ever be allowed to double the size."

Not true. If you had a 600 square foot camp you could double the size to 1,200 SF IF you put in a legal septic system. It's in the law book.

Never say "never".
So, is there anything in the books that allows for conversion of camp to a permanent residence?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:20 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Never say "never".

It seems that there can be exceptions, however the portion that is non conforming won't become doubled in size. It is interesting reading, since I've got three non conforming dwelling units. I pay attention to these things. When I was on the planning board, I had to be up on the states minimum shoreland standards, because that is what we went by.

http://www.maine.gov/dep/land/slz/ip_non_conforming.pdf

Last edited by AustinB; 04-01-2015 at 03:30 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
here's some good info

Questions & Answers for Maine Waterfront Properties

Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 AM

I have been on Maine Planning boards since 1973 back when towns were first trying to cope with Maine's new land use law. Yes, that is the one that created LURC. Towns can be even more restrictive than state requirements, so it is intentionally very difficult for a citizen to be able to plan what he wants to do. I consult with towns that want the value of experience in these matters. Progressives who want ever more government control are not just in the legislature. They pop up in small towns and become absolutely frantic when they are unable to impose their agendas on the town. The towns need help. It is like the game Wackamole. You never know where they will pop up next.

Land use in Maine is full of superstitions. This happens when somebody assumes that the restrictions he must comply with are the same in other towns. Not necessarily. As I have written before, there are still pockets of freedom in Maine. Then there is the town with 38 different zones.

Then there are subdivisions within towns that have restrictions written by a condominium dweller from Delaware. The members can dream up restrictions that their neighbors must comply with. A property owner may go to the town and complain. The town says, "Hey, it isn't our rule. You bought there. Good luck."

As to living in your camp year round, there is a post above where a family just spent the coldest winter ever in Maine in their camper. They are in a town with freedom. Let me make a general statement. In most Maine towns you can live year round in the camp you own. That said, there are towns where the code enforcement officer may show up on Christmas Eve and tell you to get out.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,611 times
I think its absolutely hilarious that I was born in Bangor 60 years ago this year, have lived in half a dozen different towns, had camps in Townships, worked for Paper Companies, dealt with LURC (now LUPC) on a regular basis both privately and in business, and have never run into the problems others seem to have with zoning and permitting. Zoning is as much a quality of life issue as it is air and water quality. It comes from lessons learned from a century of polluting rivers and lakes and poisoning groundwater. "Freedom" to some obviously means the ability to do anything you want next door to your neighbors who have saved all their lives and built their dream home only to have some out of stater drag in an old camper, a few wrecked vehicles, pump the camper tank out into the back yard and change the oil onto the ground into the driveway and start all-day target practice.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:40 AM

527 posts, read 422,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I think its absolutely hilarious that I was born in Bangor 60 years ago this year, have lived in half a dozen different towns, had camps in Townships, worked for Paper Companies, dealt with LURC (now LUPC) on a regular basis both privately and in business, and have never run into the problems others seem to have with zoning and permitting. Zoning is as much a quality of life issue as it is air and water quality. It comes from lessons learned from a century of polluting rivers and lakes and poisoning groundwater. "Freedom" to some obviously means the ability to do anything you want next door to your neighbors who have saved all their lives and built their dream home only to have some out of stater drag in an old camper, a few wrecked vehicles, pump the camper tank out into the back yard and change the oil onto the ground into the driveway and start all-day target practice.
There's a difference between someone degrading your quality of life by polluting (such discharging oil into the ground or human waste into stream) or bothering you with noise (shooting all day, etc)--preventing your enjoyment of own property--and simply living the way they want to not polluting anything or intruding your space with noise or fumes, such as living in their RV, teepee, wigwam, yurt, tiny house, small moveable cabin, tent, manufactured house, shed, barn, etc. The latter is about excercising most basic form of freedom, certainly, and such freedom being denied all over the US is a sign there's no freedom here now. Years down the road, they'll come telling you what color your car should be and what time you should be sleeping at, take my word.

Last edited by opossum1; 04-01-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 08:54 AM

The most expensive home in our town was built by a retired farmer who invested wisely. Next door is an older 2 bedroom trailer. Both property owners went to kindergarten together. They played little league together. They fished, hunted and played high school sports together. Why should government tell these two life-long friends they cannot be neighbors?

Some people love zoning and condominium type subdivisions run by an association. They need this type of living condition because of the control they have. Just beware that such people exist and they want to control you too. Do your homework before you buy and you won't have to deal with them.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,611 times
I have no idea what your point was. Being denied the freedom to . . . living in a teepee? Still haven't run into it. Moveable cabin? I don't see a problem provided you have a waste disposal plan. I'm pretty sure you can build up to 12' x 12' (maybe that was in CA, but I had heard it here in Maine) shed without a permit. You'll still get taxed on it. Throw it in as permanent housing, and you then have issues with health codes, soils, fire suppression, etc. Building codes are in place for a reason. I was looking at a structure the other day someone got away with building a few years ago. 2 x 3" 24" on center roof trusses. Stupid. A snow cave-in waiting to happen. But well enough hidden so most people would pay the asking price and the seller would skate on the poorly built building. The builder obviously did. There's no doubt some zoning goes too far and was put in place (spot zoning, special exceptions, etc.) to benefit a chosen (monied) few.

I put a trailer next to my house for the kids. I'm on Ag. zoned land. I still don't see the problem, unless you want to slap a moho in a neighborhood of upscale homes where the zoning doesn't permit it, or the subdivision covenants, to maintain the nature of a subdivision and property values, don't permit it. Now you want to tell someone they can't do what they want with their land - build condos or subdivide. I couldn't live in a condo - mini governments for people that can't get power any other way. Some people like the simplicity, not having to maintain or mow. Only makes sense, has nothing to do with "freedom."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: