Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM

701 posts, read 1,084,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Montana doesn't have a coast, so that's not going to work.

No, I am going to move to Maine.

I may have to start up somewhere that I wouldn't prefer but it's ok.

By the way, to try to explain why I know it would be a little easier there than here to find a job:

Do you have to be fluent in Spanish to get a minimum wage job up there? Do you have to be fluent in any other language than English?

Yes, I know knowing another language certainly HELPS you and can make you an asset to a company but is it REQUIRED?

(By the way, I say "minimum wage job" because it's what pretty much anyone should be able to get. Finding jobs that pay higher, in a field I'm knowledgeable in may take a bit longer...so we start with what we can find...even if it's flipping a fricken burger at McDs. Right?)
didn't mean to hijak your thread GatorMama Sounds like you've got what it takes to make it where ever you go........Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM

428 posts, read 555,390 times
Default It CAN be done!

We came here less than a year ago naively thinking we could make it on my smalll pension, substitute teacher's pay and raising some of our own food. Stuff happens and things change which made it necessary for one of us to go back to work full time. A very short job search landed me a fairly decent job. Unfortunately we will have to relocate to Southern Maine for a few years. Keep looking, Gator and don't get discouraged. The jobs are out there. I found and applied for about 5 or 6 jobs (not including Walmart), received one call for an interview and landed that job. Good luck!

Kevin

Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
We came here less than a year ago naively thinking we could make it on my smalll pension, substitute teacher's pay and raising some of our own food. Stuff happens and things change which made it necessary for one of us to go back to work full time. A very short job search landed me a fairly decent job. Unfortunately we will have to relocate to Southern Maine for a few years. Keep looking, Gator and don't get discouraged. The jobs are out there. I found and applied for about 5 or 6 jobs (not including Walmart), received one call for an interview and landed that job. Good luck!

Kevin
That's a pretty good ratio!

I applied for a bunch of jobs, got some interviews but was beat out by the flood of people with degrees who were laid off from higher positions. I also signed up with a temporary labor agency, and after pestering them weekly and then daily, finally got a gig at a warehouse. I worked hard, made it a point to never need to be told what to do (unlike many who would just stand around and *wait* to be assigned another task), did every job that I could see needed to be done that no one else was doing, and volunteered to do tasks that no one else wanted to do. In less than a year the owner of the company bought me out from the temp agency and hired me directly- and gave me a significant raise. (It's not what I 'need' to be making...or anywhere near what I'm accustomed to making...but I'm moving in the right direction.)

Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's a pretty good ratio!

I applied for a bunch of jobs, got some interviews but was beat out by the flood of people with degrees who were laid off from higher positions. I also signed up with a temporary labor agency, and after pestering them weekly and then daily, finally got a gig at a warehouse. I worked hard, made it a point to never need to be told what to do (unlike many who would just stand around and *wait* to be assigned another task), did every job that I could see needed to be done that no one else was doing, and volunteered to do tasks that no one else wanted to do. In less than a year the owner of the company bought me out from the temp agency and hired me directly- and gave me a significant raise. (It's not what I 'need' to be making...or anywhere near what I'm accustomed to making...but I'm moving in the right direction.)
Good point to remember; even when you are falling flat on your face, you are still moving forward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine