Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM

30,314 posts, read 23,789,660 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm not moving to Montana or N or even S Dakota but I appreciate the thoughts.

Mollysmiles, RHB has given me some FANTASTIC advice and leads. I adore her for it. There's also another person who has been PMing me and I'm getting a lot of great tips through her, as well.

I'm going to put in for a few jobs before I get up there, see what happens and have also found a few places that will accept pets...we'll see what that means when it comes to dogs.

I've done this type of thing before, I can do it again.

See, folks, when you want something bad enough, you find a way to make it work. That's how I roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,945,677 times
I'm not sure if this is an accurate likeness, but back during the depression all sorts of people were moving in all sorts of directions looking for something better - without a comparable safety net. They just plain did it. It must have taken a lot of guts but what other options were there?

No doubt, times are tough right now but not like the 1930s. If one has the will to relocate a major distance and has the enthusiasm to start anew in an honest trade, I'd give them a lot of credit. As someone who used to do the hiring, that's just the kind of character I'd be looking for.

All the best GatorMama. I don't live in Maine, but I certainly get there every chance I have and hope you get to live that dream. My dream was to move to Vermont and there weren't any real careers here either, but somehow it all came together - 25 years ago.

Do keep in mind the other posts above, because they're giving it to you straight.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 AM

325 posts, read 706,812 times
She is detemined, obviously. These people are telling you straight what the situation here is.

But there are those intangibles you can get here that are priceless. The lack of gangs, low crime, down to earth people. Clean fresh air.

I know people who moved back from Florida and do not regret it.

GatorMama if you're so determined, do it. Just don't expect to get rich here.

Last edited by Evan_Lanctot; 05-09-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Montana doesn't have a coast, so that's not going to work.

No, I am going to move to Maine.

I may have to start up somewhere that I wouldn't prefer but it's ok.

By the way, to try to explain why I know it would be a little easier there than here to find a job:

Do you have to be fluent in Spanish to get a minimum wage job up there? Do you have to be fluent in any other language than English?

Yes, I know knowing another language certainly HELPS you and can make you an asset to a company but is it REQUIRED?

(By the way, I say "minimum wage job" because it's what pretty much anyone should be able to get. Finding jobs that pay higher, in a field I'm knowledgeable in may take a bit longer...so we start with what we can find...even if it's flipping a fricken burger at McDs. Right?)
New Hampshire has some seacoast, plus unemployment is much lower in NH than in Maine so your chances of finding work would be better in NH, and there's no income tax and no sale taxes in NH, and NH crime rate is lower than Maine's.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM

468 posts, read 759,746 times
It's hard all over the country and it's only going to get worse as our economy and society comes to the end of the cheap energy and resource age.

Maine is tough. So is Florida. So is Massachusetts (believe it or not.) In MA, if I didn't have family and shared resources, I'd never have any kind of home or yard. Rather, I'd be trapped in an apartment, paying through the nose for everything. Maine is hard, so is paying $1400 a month for a studio apartment in the Boston area, one that's not in the best of shape. You can't go anywhere because you cannot afford to keep a car in the city and even ZipCar costs a fortune for a weekend trip. Yeah, there are more jobs around a city like Boston, but the prices around here make up for it and then some. Heating oil costs a bit more in Maine, yes, but even so, heating a 1920s flat in Revere, South Boston, or Brookline costs a pretty penny too. Natural gas is cheaper ------ for now, but it's had some pretty amazing price runs in the past 5 years or so too and will have them again as that fuel becomes loved to death. The only reason I don't pay a fortune in heating costs too is that I saw this energy thing coming and insulated our family house like crazy about 8 years ago (22 inches of fiberglass in the attic, for one thing.) I also am in a fairly unique situation where I've been improving my school employer's 160 acre, mainly wooded campus, get all the free firewood I could want, and have a masonry heater in my house. If not for that, the last time natural gas had a price run circa 2005, we saw gas bills of over $450 a month during the winter.

I also grow a fair amount of my own fruit and veggies here in MA and can and will do so when I move full time to Maine as well (see below.) I have low entertainment expectations as well. I do many of my own repairs, line dry my laundry, etc. These solutions work all over the country for saving money.

Just like Square Peg said, there is a comparison to the Depression when people were torn as to move or adapt in place, so to speak. I've adapted pretty well here in MA, even given the realities of a lower paying, education job. I've also a place in Aroostook, however, that I bought not too long ago, and at some point I'm getting there full time come hell or high water. It'll be tough there, but so it is here too.

The devil is in the details as to *how* one lives rather than which state one lives in, within reason.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
She is detemined, obviously. These people are telling you straight what the situation here is.

But there are those intangibles you can get here that are priceless. The lack of gangs, low crime, down to earth people. Clean fresh air.

I know people who moved back from Florida and do not regret it.

GatorMama if you're so determined, do it. Just don't expect to get rich here.
I would not expect anyone to get rich anywhere in this economy.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:41 AM

40 posts, read 97,628 times
www.bangor-maine.com

Well maintained apartments and pet friendly.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I'm not sure if this is an accurate likeness, but back during the depression all sorts of people were moving in all sorts of directions looking for something better - without a comparable safety net. They just plain did it. It must have taken a lot of guts but what other options were there?

No doubt, times are tough right now but not like the 1930s. If one has the will to relocate a major distance and has the enthusiasm to start anew in an honest trade, I'd give them a lot of credit. As someone who used to do the hiring, that's just the kind of character I'd be looking for.

All the best GatorMama. I don't live in Maine, but I certainly get there every chance I have and hope you get to live that dream. My dream was to move to Vermont and there weren't any real careers here either, but somehow it all came together - 25 years ago.

Do keep in mind the other posts above, because they're giving it to you straight.
good post peg, i agree

It's easy just to throw your hands and say everything sucks, no jobs and no hope,

two weeks ago, after 17 years employment, I was a casualty of a business that closed,,,no notice,

If i believed half of what i read on here,,,, i would panic,,im in maine,,,no jobs,,no hope,,,well, not my nature, within 2 days i had 3 interviews lined up and within 5 days got a better job offer, than where i was, with a much better company

none of the jobs were posted, as i said in an earlier post, apply where you want to work,,,,,,,,even if there are no employment ads out..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:27 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,658,635 times
Good Luck,Gator Mama. The very start of tourist season is an excellent time to move to Maine. Many places don't open until Mem Day weekend and some even open a bit later than that.What type of work to you usually do? Have you xdecided what area you want to live in. I vote coastal-mid coast is nice.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,334,551 times
I moved to Maine from Florida in 2003 and had 6 months of unemployment plus a severance check plus some extra saved and still, it was hard to make ends meet after only finding a minimum wage job because I didn't want to live off unemployment. I had everything planned ahead as much as possible but somehow things did not pan out and it wasn't for lack of trying ...I was told had I been in the medical field, I would have had better luck ...but then I was found to be 'overqualified' for a cleaning job at the local hospital...so after 7 months I left. I am glad I tried to live there, it was an interesting experience.
anyway, to the OP if you decide to go, I wish you well and at least you can say you tried if things don't work out...networking and testing the waters through this forum is a good idea though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine