Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Massachusetts but my boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Cape Elizabeth some time next year or in 2013. We are having a baby in a few weeks and we'd like to raise her in a more laid-back and safe area. We are ready to get away from Mass!

I've heard a couple things about Cape Elizabeth and it seems like a nice place to live. We took a trip there yesterday and ended up liking it a lot.

Any advices on what areas would be better to raise a child i.e good school system etc? What about jobs? My boyfriend has 10 years of experience working as a flight dispatcher / flight planner in the Army but could easily go back to working in construction like he recently did.

I work for a medical billing company and have clerical experience as well as a Military background. My boyfriend and I are also students and we'd like to live somewhat close to a University or College.

We would like to know about other areas as well. I've heard Yarmouth has good schools.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Any advices on what areas would be better to raise a child i.e good school system etc? What about jobs? My boyfriend has 10 years of experience working as a flight dispatcher / flight planner in the Army but could easily go back to working in construction like he recently did.

I work for a medical billing company and have clerical experience as well as a Military background. My boyfriend and I are also students and we'd like to live somewhat close to a University or College.
I grew up in Cape and my parents still live there. Cape is VERY expensive to live in! When I returned to the Portland area five years ago, I looked in Cape first. I couldn't touch anything in Cape that I would want to live in. Even the cute little houses in nice areas I remembered and immediately looked for had been torn down and very large houses built on the lots. The area most people live in (as my parents did) that want their kids to go to the schools, but don't have very high incomes is the "Park" area. If you drive past the middle school on Scottdyer Rd you'll see the development on your left. It's full of identical tiny Cape Cods (very low end). From memory, they were going for over 300k when I was down there. The schools are very good, but very focused on the pursuits of the wealthiest in Maine with kids expecting to go to the finest colleges. That's good if your child fits in, but not the best for many children.

I would recommend Scarborough. When I was growing up, 45 years ago, Scarborough was known for its poor schools. Now, however, it has turned itself around and is an upper to upper-middle class town. The schools are very good. I've got friends that live in Scarborough and they love the school system. I ended up living in Brunswick and loved it, but I don't know about the schools.

As with anyone, I advise that you NOT move to Maine without good jobs already in hand. Maine is a very poor state with few opportunities.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Cape Elizabeth is beautiful! May be a but too $$$$, depending on your budget. If I were you, I would look for the most modest place in CE and stay park yourself there!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Personal opinion- Yarmie/Cape Liz aren't far enough from Mass...and might be hard to do on a construction worker's budget (unless you have your own TV show like 'This Old House').

Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,545 times
If you're going to have kids AND THUS NEED AN INCOME, I would strongly look to finding a job first, and then looking to a school system.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
I have to agree, find employment first, jobs can be hard to find. It won't be any easier to live in Maine than in Massachusetts if you're unemployed and raising a child.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Maine is and always will be a great state to visit. It's returning to it's roots as being Vacationland. I wouldn't move here on a bet if I hadn't lived here all my life and already knew what to expect. Having extra money to paint the house or put in carpet is a luxury in Maine for most. Fuel is high, taxes are high, food is high, pay is low and entertainmant is scarce. It's FAR and away more depressed than you might think...we're used to it, though I know for a fact that a very significant number of people who move to Maine looking for utopia don't stay. You really have to WANT to live here to stay here. Many find out they don't really WANT it that badly. Try it if you want to but Cape Elizabeth is far too expensive unless you're already wealthy.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 12,593 times
Geez, you guys paint a bleak picture! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Cape Liz or Portland, but you're making it sound like hell. We live in Lake George NY now and I think THIS is hell.

Wow, you've given me much to think about. So there's nowhere in Maine you would recommend?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:32 AM

428 posts, read 553,880 times
Default Consider Saco-Biddeford

We moved to Maine last year to "retire". Economic conditions and perhaps my temperment made it necessary for me to go back to work. We are moving to the Saco-Biddeford area and had no trouble finding a reasonably priced apartment. Not sure about real estate prices we are only planning to stay a few years. There seem to be many jobs in the area. The company I will work for has at least 7 more openings (professional, skilled and semi-skilled) advertised on their website. Keep looking and good luck.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Maine is and always will be a great state to visit. It's returning to it's roots as being Vacationland. I wouldn't move here on a bet if I hadn't lived here all my life and already knew what to expect. Having extra money to paint the house or put in carpet is a luxury in Maine for most. Fuel is high, taxes are high, food is high, pay is low and entertainmant is scarce. It's FAR and away more depressed than you might think...we're used to it, though I know for a fact that a very significant number of people who move to Maine looking for utopia don't stay. You really have to WANT to live here to stay here. Many find out they don't really WANT it that badly. Try it if you want to but Cape Elizabeth is far too expensive unless you're already wealthy.
Just came back from a trip to PA near coal country and I was...once again.. amazed at the house you can buy and just the overall standard of living is higher... I am a real estatae guru when it comes to markets so I know my stuff...

If you plan on living mainestream.. that is middleclass american and want a decent job, a home and community to raise a family in and stuff to do and not be broke then there are a TON of places you can do it better than here..

Maine has its niches if you want to live off the beaten path and live simplier or plan on being poor and dont mind that...

My guess is "just want to get out of Mass" statement is because they really can't afford to live in a nice community down there and are sick of the struggle..

I say if you cant do it there dont expect to be able to do it here..

The best thing kids learn here in Maine is the value of an education.. and or the lack there of.. with awefull graduation rates and test scores a generation of children will be seeing first hand how hard the real world is.. try living and working up here with a high school deploma or less... if you dont want to drive a truck or work in a hospital good luck in providing for your family.. then come to the realization that to get out of maine and really get a decent job you have to have an education... well itsa sad and tough lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine