Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBear View Post
Geez, you guys paint a bleak picture! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Cape Liz or Portland, but you're making it sound like hell. We live in Lake George NY now and I think THIS is hell.

Wow, you've given me much to think about. So there's nowhere in Maine you would recommend?
There are plenty of places in Maine any of us could recommend. The problem is after folks move here. There are plenty of misconceptions (this week they seem to come flying out of the woodwork) on living and making a life in Maine. It seems that quite a few have come on here saying it is terrible (I believe the word "suck" was expressed some). It seems to a few of us that they came looking for "Shangri-La" or a "Mayberry" state and found out it isn't. The Dali Lama is no where close to here and Andy lived in N.C. not Maine. And we won't come rush to meet you. That's caled respecting your privacy not being snooty or stand-offish.

We don't don't believe for a second it is hell. Just tired of getting slammed for folks misconceptions as they head back out the door. Plan a few visits at different times of the year, get work or have funds to live off while you look, and pick a place you'll like not a place that fills your romantic mindset.

It a great state, full of great people (for the most part. no place is perfect) and you'll probably like it. Just don't build it all up to the point that no one could fulfill the dream. Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,755 times
Quote:
Geez, you guys paint a bleak picture! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Cape Liz or Portland, but you're making it sound like hell. We live in Lake George NY now and I think THIS is hell.

Wow, you've given me much to think about. So there's nowhere in Maine you would recommend?
I hear Lake george is beautifull..

Myself included we are just trying to give the otherside of the story of living in Maine...

If your coming from NY because the jobs suck, the taxes suck ect... then dont come to Maine... Its not any better...

If your coming from NY because you want to be near the ocean, Maybe your business is dependent on tourism and Maine can support that ect... then ok

I think there are many folks who are coming to Maine because more often then not they are fleeing somwhere else.. and most of us know about the grass being greener theory...Maybe the comment the op made about wanting to get out of Mass triggered something?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,604 times
We are originally from Long Island, so we miss the ocean. We moved to Lake George (and yes it is gorgeous) in 2006. The summers are lovely, but filled with tourists. The locals can't get an elbow in to do anything. You can't get parking, a table at a restaurant, a stool at a bar, it's a nightmare. And I know I don't have to tell any Maine-ah about winters. Yes, yes, I know winters are no better or different in Maine, so we'll move onto to Section C, lol.

We're not running away from taxes or economy. We just prefer ocean views instead of lake views. And believe it or not besides tourists? You just don't see any people here. I know they're here because they came out in droves for the school tax vote, but then they all retreat back into they're homes. I'm not saying I want to see these people at my breakfast table every morning, but a few times a year might be nice. No Mayberry stuff, just a people sighting.

Just a few towns around Portland, Cape Liz seems a bit out of range. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,755 times
Quote:
We are originally from Long Island, so we miss the ocean. We moved to Lake George (and yes it is gorgeous) in 2006. The summers are lovely, but filled with tourists. The locals can't get an elbow in to do anything. You can't get parking, a table at a restaurant, a stool at a bar, it's a nightmare. And I know I don't have to tell any Maine-ah about winters. Yes, yes, I know winters are no better or different in Maine, so we'll move onto to Section C, lol.

We're not running away from taxes or economy. We just prefer ocean views instead of lake views. And believe it or not besides tourists? You just don't see any people here. I know they're here because they came out in droves for the school tax vote, but then they all retreat back into they're homes. I'm not saying I want to see these people at my breakfast table every morning, but a few times a year might be nice. No Mayberry stuff, just a people sighting.

Just a few towns around Portland, Cape Liz seems a bit out of range. Thanks!
I know what you mean by people..... "life" as I like to refer to it.. There are places that just seem dead...

For me there are a lot of places in Maine because of poor demographics just seem dead to me.. and I am not talking about small town rural life.. I expect that to be like that.. I mean places that actually have a population of people but yet there is really nothing there..

Oh well.. Portland and vicinity is expensive and unfortunately the north east will always be this way..

I might suggest bangor though... now I dont know a whole lot about it but I know enough that a lot of people love it there.. it has a population of people and is on the cheaper side since it is north.. You might have to drive to the ocean but its not too far.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM

96 posts, read 424,978 times
Default Wells or Freeport??

Can anyone tell me about Wells or Freeport for a vacation?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,555,307 times
Wells has a nice beach but that's about all. And it is impossible to park at the beach during the summer. Unless you are staying at a motel that includes breakfast there are virtually no places for breakfast in Wells. If you are staying at one of the motels on Rt. 1 there is a trolley to the beach. Freeport has the "shopping" which it is famous for and and LL Bean, there is also Wolf's Neck State Park "no camping" and the Desert of Maine. Check out Ogunquit that is just south of Wells. Nice beaches, wonderful restaurants, summer theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine