Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon! DH and I will be visiting your lovely state for the first time next week. It has long been a dream of ours to go and we are so excited! We fly into Boston from Orlando on Monday morning, drive to Cape Elizabeth to Two Lights State Park and the Portland Head Light then stay in Cape Elizabeth Monday night. Tuesday, we would love to get up really early and drive HWY. 1 up to Bar Harbor where we have reservations for the remainder of the week. We would like to stop along the way to see Owl's Head Lighthouse and the Penobscott Narrows Observatory and perhaps some of the small towns....BUT I have read online that this would be a 10 hour drive without stops! Google maps qualifies it as a 3 Hour and 40 minute drive but I know that is without stops, traffic lights, etc.

Could a native give me some insight into the feasibility of this option? I really don't like driving the interstate up as we will be driving it back on the return trip to New Hampshire where we are spending the following week in the New Hampshire mounts. Also, if there are other, more interesting places to see along Hwy 1.

Thanks SOOO much for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
You can do that in one day. I'd estimate 5 to 5-1/2 of driving time. Since you like the lighthouses, let me recommend a drive out to Pemaquid from Damarascotta. It's ~15 miles from Rt. 1 to the lighthouse, but it is one of the prettiest in Maine.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You can do that in one day. I'd estimate 5 to 5-1/2 of driving time. Since you like the lighthouses, let me recommend a drive out to Pemaquid from Damarascotta. It's ~15 miles from Rt. 1 to the lighthouse, but it is one of the prettiest in Maine.
Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of information I needed! I did read about Pemaquid but was afraid I wouldn't have time. We'll add it to our itinerary.

Any suggestions on good places to eat?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
You don't need to be intimidated by the interstate Highway in Maine - it is an easy road to travel and we have done it hundreds of times. Early June there won't be the number of tourists that will be found starting July 1. I can understand you wanting to take Rt 1 but it will be a long and probably tiring trip. I would recommend you pick out a couple of places to zero in on along Rt 1 and take the interstate for the rest of the trip.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of information I needed! I did read about Pemaquid but was afraid I wouldn't have time. We'll add it to our itinerary.

Any suggestions on good places to eat?
If you go to Pemaquid, go over to New Harbor and eat at Shaw's.

In Camden, I really like Cappy's chowder.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

If you decide that you really want to drive Rt. 1, you might consider taking I-295 up to Brunswick and then use Rt. 1. You will see a lot of great scenery on Rt. 1. You might see some ships at Bath Iron Works. You might want a lobster roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset, or you might want some Blueberry Pie from Moody's Diner in Waldoboro.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
That could be a nightmare due to traffic. As Mensa said, the drive on Rt 1 to Brunswick is pretty boring (unless you want to go to LL Beans). But, once you get away from I-95 the traffic can be absolutely terrible during the tourist season, especially when combined with any road construction along the way. I could tell you some horror stories, but I'm not going to. Maybe if you picked certain days of the week it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't know what days are better than others.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
id consider this...take 295 from portland to the bath/brunswick coastal rte one exit,,, you will be entering brunswick,,,,go straight and watch for signs,,,you will take a left at an intersection (cumberland farms will be on your left)
this will go right to bath,,during the weekdays traffic wont be bad....keep going you will go over the bath bridge and headin towards wiscasset on rte 1...
keep following rte 1,,, thru wiscasset- go over the bridge,,,and exit on the damariscotta/pemaquid exit (you may see rtes 129/130
take the damariscotta exit...go thru the small town,,and take a right before the big white church (rte 130 i believe)
follow this road right to pemaquid point--one of the most beautiful places in maine,,there is a a beach nearby too-pemaquid beach,,,
drive back, the way you came,,,and get back on rte 1 north at damariscotta,,,the traffic shouldnt be too bad til you hit rockland/camden,, but again, not bad on the weekdays,,,,keep going north til you come to the observatory/narrows bridge in prospect

from there,(head towards bucksport, not frankfort or winterport),keep going til you hit ellsworth,, now you are close to bar harbor,,,follow the road to bar harbor..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM

Wow!! Thank you all so much!! You've given me wonderful advice and great pointers! I feel so much better about driving Rt. 1. I'll report back in a couple of weeks when we return. Can't wait to visit your amazing state!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Wow!! Thank you all so much!! You've given me wonderful advice and great pointers! I feel so much better about driving Rt. 1. I'll report back in a couple of weeks when we return. Can't wait to visit your amazing state!
be sure to eat some lobsters and steamer clams (in butter!!)

I was near bar harbor today and the traffic wasnt bad...even with the road construction,,

if you are in a hurry on your way back from bar harbor,,,you can go back to ellsworth -take 1a (i think) back to bangor (take the newport west exit) this puts you on (south)"95" and now you are headin south,,speed limit is 65....take this road til you get to the gardiner exit,,,then take 295 south back to portland/cape elizabeth....this will take you 3.5-4 hrs at the most
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine