Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM

885 posts, read 1,498,292 times

Advertisements

What do most people in Central/Northern Maine use for these? Doesn't seem to be a lot of options available for high speed internet. Is ATT the most prevalent for bundling or is there a better option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,257,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
What do most people in Central/Northern Maine use for these? Doesn't seem to be a lot of options available for high speed internet. Is ATT the most prevalent for bundling or is there a better option?
Why not check with the town office in Abbott and see what they know of the area. Check with your friends in Abbott. Just a couple of suggestions.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM

37,506 posts, read 61,537,745 times
Quote:
Bundles?

Our landline was provided by a tiny little phone company that only serves a couple townships; they were bought up by some other company from out-of-state last year. They also provide our DSL.

For cellphones our coverage was provided by a tiny little cellphone company that only served a couple townships; they were bought up by Verison last year.

We have no cable in this township.

We are very fortunate to have DSL and cellphone coverage.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,664,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Why not check with the town office in Abbott and see what they know of the area. Check with your friends in Abbott. Just a couple of suggestions.
You are right, even in the more populated areas closer to Bangor, there are not good options in many areas.

I needed the speed/reliability/throughput of cable and could not afford to be cut off or choked, so I ended up having to have Time Warner run EACH possible address I was interested in, one at a time, up their virtual flagpole. In some cases there was cable on ONE side of the street but not the other and running it in would have cost more than I could afford.

Be VERY careful and specific about what you need. When I was calling around to town halls, more than once I was told "I don't know" when I asked about internet availability/providers and several town employees proudly boasted about their "new, high-speed dial up."

Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM

227 posts, read 416,156 times
Quote:
Is AT&T the most prevalent? Actually, it is most likely not an option at all!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,587,202 times
Abbot, Main's #1 Town.

If you want TV, just get a dish.

If you can't get the DSL, you can look into Verizon 3G if you are in the coverage area. You don't even need a Verizon cell phone plan, its lightning fast and you can use the connection anywhere you have a signal.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,495,490 times
I would suggest Time-Warner, period. Since Fairpoint took over for Verizon, their DSL has degraded tremendously. We had Verizon, and when Fairpoint took over, we lost the internet totally. They never did get it working, so we switched to Time-Warner. We average 6mbs. We stream HD video through our wireless network, and use a Roku without any buffering at all.

I work on computers, and when someone tells me their computer is slow, I tell them they have Fairpoint, and they always tell me yes. The don't even begin to reach 3mbs. If you use a speed check, you find out!

So....make sure Time-Warner is in the area where you relocate. Period.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM

37,506 posts, read 61,537,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I would suggest Time-Warner, period. Since Fairpoint took over for Verizon, their DSL has degraded tremendously. We had Verizon, and when Fairpoint took over, we lost the internet totally. They never did get it working, so we switched to Time-Warner. We average 6mbs. We stream HD video through our wireless network, and use a Roku without any buffering at all.

I work on computers, and when someone tells me their computer is slow, I tell them they have Fairpoint, and they always tell me yes. The don't even begin to reach 3mbs. If you use a speed check, you find out!

We do not have Time-Warner as an option here.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,587,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post

Not gonna' happen in Abbot, doesn't exist here, to my knowledge. Our DSL up here runs constantly at 100 Mbps. The Verizon wireless runs wherever you have a signal and it blows this speed away.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM

885 posts, read 1,498,292 times
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like it's gonna be a challenge.....I arrive at my new house in Abbot around the 30th......YAHOO!!!!! Goodbye Florida FOREVER!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine