Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

The background noise on our land line was often so loud that you could not hear each other speak on the phone. But at least they provide DSL. Since we had to use cellphones for voice comms we canceled the the voice feature on our land line. It cut our land line bill by half.

We could get unlimited calls on our cell phone plan, if we wanted to quadruple how much we pay for our cell phone plan.

I guess it might be nice to get both voice comms and DSL from the same company but here each is provided by different companies.

In some towns they also have cable for TV. So that you can watch TV via that cable service that you pay for also. As a separate bill. On top of your voice phone and DSL bills.

I guess that we do get 'bundling', we get a bundle of bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
How do you know it's 100mbps--I mean, where are you getting that information?

Try running a speed test: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

That is the same website that our land line / DSL provider prefers us to use.

I just tried it again and got:
285ms ping time,
0.30 Mbps Download speed,
0.209 Mbps Upload speed.

Pretty sweet for OTC Comms based in Bangor.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I did check Time Warner online and they offer a tv/internet/unlimited nationwide phone for $100 a month.
OK, great, good to know. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The background noise on our land line was often so loud that you could not hear each other speak on the phone.
Wow! Thanks for mentioning that--it would otherwise never have occurred to me that phone service being available in an area does not necessarily mean clear phone service.

Something else to check before I buy a property.

BTW, Google now has a feature that allows you to make phone calls from your compter, I think anywhere in the USA for no charge.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 AM

846 posts, read 1,022,426 times
Is high speed available in the Eagle Lake area? I have one of those things you stick in the laptop from Sprint that can get on the 'net if a cell signal is present. I will need to have SKYPE access to run a business I have here in North Carolina. I can fly out of Presque Isle monthly to attend to business here, but will need to observe certain aspects of the business while in progress in real time and SKYPE seems to be the best most affordable option. I can't do what I need in a coffee shop/library as issues of confidentiality are paramount.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 AM

428 posts, read 555,390 times
We had Wild Blue satellite internet here for a while. When it worked it worked great, but rain or overcast skies usually shut it down. I've heard that Hughes satellite is better. We are currently using dial-up and using the library in Houlton when we need a high speed connection.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 AM

67 posts, read 436,611 times
We live out past Dover Foxcroft, a couple miles from the Guilford Memorial walking trail. First we had dialup at 26.4 Kps, then we got the Hughes (then DirecWay) satellite (ugggg... only about 90 Kps at best, and there was daily useage allowed of only 250 MB or so - can't remember exactly how much), then a couple years ago, we went to Premium Choice Broadband (speeds at my house - line of site - were about 3 Mbps). Good company, and we were very satisified with the service, but found out that we can get DSL through Fairpoint. I've had that for a little bit now, and my speeds (tested from the speed test site mentioned in earlier post) tested today at download 14.81 Mbps, and upload at .96 Mbps (that's about what our speed has been testing at). I've streamed a HD movie with my Roku player plugged into TV with HDMI, and have had no pauses or hangups (or whatever).

So, to the OP, if possible, you can look up your Abbot address (or a neighbor's phone number) online to see if you can get high speed internet through Fairpoint.

Last edited by inthewoods; 03-26-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: changed 'are' to 'our'

Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
I have Hughes Net and it works beautifully. I love it. My neighbor is about to get Wild Blue...we'll compare experiences.

For t.v, I use Dish Network so I'm satellite for t.v. and internet.

For cell, living in the Everglades I've learned that not all cell phones will work in the "middle of nowhere". You CAN use your satellite internet but there is a two second delay and it kind of sucks because of that.

If you are able to get cable for internet, you could do VOIP for your phone.

I know of one place that will show you coverage for AT&T and Sprint. You can find it on Amazon when looking at the Kindle advertisement. I'm sure there are other places to find coverage maps, it's just one that I know about.

Also, Boost works pretty good out here, might want to check them out.

From another Floridian looking to move to Maine, congratulations on your move! I will continue to dream of my turn.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
How do you know it's 100mbps--I mean, where are you getting that information?

Try running a speed test: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I just hover my mouse over my internet icon and get the speed. When I'm wireless, my older Cysco router allows only 50mps.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
That's only good if there is cable run through Abbott on the street you will have a house.
Exactly, I am willing to bet you haven't got it in Abbot. I'm right up the street from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine