Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,526,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they would really do that???
But I really want to go to Eastport. I promise I won't make an a#@ of myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 75,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
- Don't ask me where the nearest "real" town is. If you have to ask that question, the answer is Boston.
LMAO!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Don't alot of Mainers' incomes depend on the tourist industry ...?

And doesn't this "come with the territory" when YOU choose to live where you do?

Why don't y'all have all the papers and billboards advertise about the rampant axe murderers and that the locals can't stand outsiders ... should thin 'em out a bit!

Just some random thoughts after reviewing the airs on this thread!

I have just put on my firesuit!
Oh great, now I'm going to have every vehicle from Texas littered with loaves of bread... just had to say that did you! (LOL)

Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Oh, I don't care if they come here. Not at all. They just don't have to act like a$$es while they are here. If you take offense to anything that has been addressed, I would say that you have failed to understand the old addage "When in Rome....". When I am on vacation, playing tourist myself, I don't stop in the middle of the road to take pictures, I don't stand in the middle of Main Street backing up traffic, and I try my best not to ask stupid questions or make (somewhat derogatory) blanket statements about the local residents, their towns, their houses, or interests. I try to show a respect for the place (and people) that I am visiting and not make a nuisance or pompous a$$ of myself.

And about choosing to live here... I have at least 12 generations of ancestors planted under the ground of this island I live on, and I would never live anywhere else. I did not choose to live here (as an adult decision, I mean), but it is my home, and was the home of all 12 of those generations of my people, and I don't think it is asking too much of visitors to repect it and the people that live on it. We are not here as some kind of cultural display for tourists. My sentiment also applies to pretty much the whole state of Maine. You, as a tourist/guest, need to show some respect for me and my home. And in return, I will be a gracious host/resident and show you more of Maine than any tourbook is going to, and treat you with respect in return. Hell, if I like you enough, I'll probably invite you over for a free lobster dinner with my family or a ride out on my boat.
But if you come here and "$hit on my porch", so to speak, be prepared for me to want you gone....
HERE HERE!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 AM

In all fairness, we know its usually the tourist that has no seasoned visiting in Maine and are either tired from the long amount of hours of traveling it took to get here or because they dont know the way that the businesses are run or located and just frustrated.

Once seasoned, they are great to have, they conform nicely. The ones that do not get discouraged easily and leave anyway, hopefully never to return.

Dont be afraid of the "Welcome to Maine, Now Please Go Home" bumpah stickahs, they are only for the newbies (initiation)

Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 AM

581 posts, read 714,888 times
And then there's the "fishing" advertisements by N.B. and N.S. to keep them moving through Maine.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 PM

74 posts, read 206,292 times
Default Wow, tourists must be from somewhere else

LOL
As long as they keep coming, we will keep laughing. I love the New Yorkers who are floored by the amount of trust we have up here of our fellow man.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
oh, in Washington County, unless it's a lake, don't park on the beach. That beach isn't that big at high tide. That beach might not even be there at high tide.
We chased whales (saw only one) Tuesday. The naturalist said the first "missing" vehicle of the year on the sandbar to Barr Island happened June 2. Someone parked on that pretty sand beach and when they came back hours later their car was "gone." Twelve foot tides have a way of making things disappear.

If you happen to drive through our little town of 70 residents don't ask us if we have electricity. We do as long as someone remembers to feed the mice on the generator wheel. What we don't have is a stop sign and since we don't have one of those, no, we don't have a traffic light either. Traffic? Nope, not here.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Thought of another one. A couple planned to move to Maine in six months. They loved it here when they vacationed for many summers. In preparation for their move they came back in late October to look for a house. They were thoroughly disgusted that everyone was wearing blaze orange. Didn't we KNOW how terrible it looked? Someone explained hunting seasons and not getting shot but they were still annoyed. They were given such a hard time by the locals about their lack of common sense that I don't think they ever did move here. To make a long story a bit longer, don't make fun of our clothes, especially when it's blaze orange.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 AM

165 posts, read 415,794 times
Ohmygosh, Mainers definitely win in the humor catagory. This is the most entertaining thing I've read in a long time.

Quote:
I don't think it is asking too much of visitors to repect it and the people that live on it. We are not here as some kind of cultural display for tourists. My sentiment also applies to pretty much the whole state of Maine. You, as a tourist/guest, need to show some respect for me and my home. And in return, I will be a gracious host/resident and show you more of Maine than any tourbook is going to, and treat you with respect in return. Hell, if I like you enough, I'll probably invite you over for a free lobster dinner with my family or a ride out on my boat.

*applauding*

As we address these people, though, we need to keep in mind that we were intelligent enough to make our home in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine