Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,186,690 times

Advertisements

Bob, I like you and I like the fact that you love Maine....I know from your previous posts that you do....but for me, this thread really is in jest....I do feel bad for the people that park on the beach and leave their car, but darn it, who parks on a beach in an unfamiliar place?! And you know, if we had to make signs for all this stuff they'd just be stolen by the outta statahs laughin bout the sign...you wouldn't believe the number of moose, goose and deer crossing signs we replace!

(I know you're laughin' at the tourists in Texas that do the silly stuff )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 PM

396 posts, read 1,706,589 times
I'll remember these when we visit next week We are staying in a cabin in Long Lake. I can only visit for now, but would love to live in Maine some day.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM

23,046 posts, read 28,591,915 times
Hey, Bob, one thing Texas could teach Maine: Cuisine. Don't get me wrong. I love a good lobster and seafood, and I had some great pub food in Brunswick. But when it comes to good Mexican food -- forgive me Mainahs -- but y'all need some lessons.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,186,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hey, Bob, one thing Texas could teach Maine: Cuisine. Don't get me wrong. I love a good lobster and seafood, and I had some great pub food in Brunswick. But when it comes to good Mexican food -- forgive me Mainahs -- but y'all need some lessons.
well, it's our nature not to be hoggies and do everything perfectly........as long as we continue to get that sunrise right I figure we're doing ok...lol

Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM

3,292 posts, read 5,691,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

You do have a point! I am really blessed to get that crossover cuisine between TexMex and Cajun(I live within an hour drive of Louisiana). Lotsa flavor stimulation! Lotsa coronary artery disease too!

I have thought seriously about a real TexMex restaraunt in the Bangor area. There was Mexican restaurant out by the Bangor mall and one in Old Town when I was living there with the Old Town entry a bit better but still lacking. Easy prep is the key toTexMex! Cajun is more complicated with harder to secure ingredients!

Fajitas and COLD beer .... OH yeah!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 AM

3,292 posts, read 5,691,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Bob, I like you and I like the fact that you love Maine....I know from your previous posts that you do....but for me, this thread really is in jest....I do feel bad for the people that park on the beach and leave their car, but darn it, who parks on a beach in an unfamiliar place?! And you know, if we had to make signs for all this stuff they'd just be stolen by the outta statahs laughin bout the sign...you wouldn't believe the number of moose, goose and deer crossing signs we replace!

(I know you're laughin' at the tourists in Texas that do the silly stuff )

Molly,

I'm probably just being overly sensitive .. ayy? Woke up this AM (a good thing) and reread it all and came to this conclusion!

You're darn right I love Maine, that is one reason I hang out here! After enjoying the "summer" up here in NB it would make anyone miss it. I missed my trip down to the Bangor area as my dear friend had a loss in his immediate family. So maybe I'll make it up my favorite time of the year ... end of Sept. and the 1st of Oct..

Yep, I do have issues with tourist sometimes ... a 2-3 hour wait for the ferrys to cross over to Galveston during the summer can be aggravating.

Thanks for gettin me straightened out!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,930,344 times
Bob- I went back and reread this too, as I couldn't understand what was coming across as being mean to tourists, and it bothered me that one would think I was that way. I tried to present it as a little humorous (sarcasm doesn't always come across well online..), but everything that I wrote, I would tell to anyone who was coming to visit- I didn't mean anything to sound like "oh you stupid people!", but rather "Read up on local customs before you go!". Many people stop by this board before they come to visit Maine, and I actually thought that reading some of the things listed might not only make my day easier, but theirs, too! Kind of like the tips they put in tour guides... Some of it is small stuff (like realizing how far away some familiar conveniences like WalMArt are), but the driving/traffic stuff I really feel is important. Not only for me, either- my parents were once in a horrible accident while on vacation in Florida, and being so far from home made it all the worse, so in my own cratchedy way, I am looking out for the tourists themselves. I don't want to see anyone have a car accident, or heaven forbid, be killed because someone wanted to get a good picture of a lupine in a field- KWIM? These near misses (with unobservant/unaware drivers and pedestrians) happen to me just about everyday, and it is very scary. And I do take them into consideration when I am driving- I don't even go into the village during "banker's hours" for the level of confusion and frustration that results, I try to use the backroads more than the well-travelled ones, and I do allow a certain space cushion for me to get where I need to be, but I still don't think I should have to plan to take 4 hours for a 20 mile drive.. It's still Maine, not New York! PS- if you ever make it down to Deer Isle, I'll pony up that lobster dinner for you... *thumbsup*

And completely off topic...

Wouldn't it make sense that the Mexican Restaurant (in Hancock) that I raved about in another thread closed down shortly thereafter, apparently the owner/operator was not only an illegal alien, but wanted for fraud, too.
And that was some GOOD Mexican food.... Now it's back to the crappy old Mex..

Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,404,246 times
Warning tourists not to stop in the middle of the road to take a photo is excellent advice. My hubby travels all over southern Maine and parts of NH in his job. One October, he crested a hill to find a carload of leaf peepers standing in the middle of the road taking photos of foilage. Thank goodness his work truck was underpowered at climbing hills....I shudder to think what would have happened if he had been in a pickup truck!!!
Another thing to remind visitors about are moose. Do not approach a moose to see how close you can get. They may look dumb but they can be extremely dangerous, especially during rut. If you want to see one up close and personal, go to the wildlife preserve in Gray.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,733,845 times
Dont go to Flo's Hot Dogs in York, ME and give the staff lip.

I once saw a guy from MA talking about how crappy the building was and then because he was in a huge line, was complaining about having to wait in such a line for a simple hot dog. The woman working there said "Sir it looks like you wont be getting one of our simple hot dogs today, please leave" Other people in line smiled. It was like the soup nazi on sienfeld, but hot dogs.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 PM

23,046 posts, read 28,591,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
It was like the soup nazi on sienfeld, but hot dogs.
No dog for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine