Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 79,370 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were both born and raised in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. Recently we've been discussing moving to New England... I've done a lot of research and finally decided on Maine. (I've never known what fall or spring was like, and everything I read seems to indicate Maine has four distinct seasons.) Our son is only a month old, so the fact that Maine has some of the best schools in the US was also a deciding factor. We're hoping to move before our little one starts school. All of this leads me to my question, what are some small coastal towns in southern Maine? Everything that I've found only points to Portland, which is a VERY small town compared to Arlington, Texas with a population of over 300,000! Portland looks like a beautiful place to live, but the tourism doesn't sit well with me. We want a small, quiet, down to earth town... help from any Mainers is more than appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM

19 posts, read 51,122 times
hmmmm. Southern Maine, especially the coastal towns are some of the costliest towns in the state, but if that's not a concern, Yarmouth is a great "bedroom" community. It is rated as having one of Maine's top 5 school systems for both academics and athletics. Falmouth, Falmouth Foreside, Cumberland Foreside, Cape Elizabeth and Scarborough are other coastal towns with excellent school systems but will also have higher taxes. Portland is what us Mainers would refer to as a city not a town. If you live in one of the suburbs of Portland (Gorham, Gray, Scarborough, Falmouth, Westbrook, etc.. ) it's always a treat to go to Portland to catch a show, tour a museaum or art gallery, go out to dinner at one of the best restaurants in New England, hang out a drinking hole, etc.
Maine has thousands of miles of coastline, so there are a lot of coastal towns, but a lot of them are seasonal and are loaded with lots of tourists. Portland does have it's share of tourists, especially with the cruise ships docking there for the day, but you won't find them outside downtown. They are there to hit the shops, restaurants, bars & pubs, catch a concert or game at the Civic Center or see the Sea Dogs Baseball or Red Claws basketball games.
I could go on & on about Maine as I was born & raised here and wouldn't live anywhere else, but having lived in Yarmouth, I can attest to it being a great town.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Finding a small coastal town that doesn't attract tourists is a tall order. Tourism is one of the few industries left in Maine and most coastal towns depend on it. Maybe somebody else can provide some specific towns that fit this criteria. Good luck...I'd recommend visiting before making any permanent choices. It's alot different from where you are from!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Maine has 3,000 miles of coast-line.

As you go Northward Maine towns get smaller, friendlier and lower cost. Also as you go further North the tourism gets less, as folks from down South do not wish to drive far.

Being from an urban area, you might prefer the more urban areas of Maine, in which case you should continue to focus on the Southern corner of Maine.

Remember that most of Maine is rural. Most of Maine is not coastal.

If you had any desire to be less urban and high-cost; then I would recommend that you look North and inland.

In either case, I recommend that you consider renting at first. Live in Maine, and spend some time exploring each of it's regions. Then after 6 months or a year, you will be both familiar with Maine and you will be comfortable in saying which region you truly wish to live in.

May God bless you and keep you

Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
All good advice. Especially about visiting first, and not just for a week. Hit all four seasons and pick different areas. And Broadbill hit the nail oin the head. Finding a small caostal town anywhere in Maine with little tourism is a tall task indeed. The further up the coast the easier though. Good luck on teh search and keep us posted.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 AM

14 posts, read 79,370 times
The reason we settled on southern Maine is because the weather seems the most mild. And the coast is a must for me. Anywhere in the Casco Bay area was where I wanted to go, but like y'all said, the cost of living is so high. But I've also been reading that even though the cost of living is lower the higher north you go, the job market is down. I had thought about Bangor even though its not right on the coast, but a few things keep me weary about settling there... firstly I'm afraid I'll slip an pronounce it wrong (being from the south I have a lazy mouth and Bang-OR could very easily turn into Bang-ER) second, the weather doesn't seem as nice (I've been watching the weather for Portland and Bangor on my weather channel app on my phone) and last but not least, the job market. My husband and I have discussed renting before we get ourselves into a jam buying a house somewhere we're not sure of... I just wish this whole process were easier.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woahmellie View Post
The reason we settled on southern Maine is because the weather seems the most mild. And the coast is a must for me. Anywhere in the Casco Bay area was where I wanted to go, but like y'all said, the cost of living is so high. But I've also been reading that even though the cost of living is lower the higher north you go, the job market is down.
Employment is down everywhere.

Quote:
... I had thought about Bangor even though its not right on the coast, but a few things keep me weary about settling there ... firstly I'm afraid I'll slip an pronounce it wrong (being from the south I have a lazy mouth and Bang-OR could very easily turn into Bang-ER)
My Dw works in a grocery store in Bangor. Out of 29 fellow employees, only 16 are actually life-long Mainers. 13 of her fellow employees are from 'away'. I would not worry about how you pronounce towns here.

A 13 : 16 ratio seems to us to imply that nobody really expects you to be from Maine.

Quote:
... second, the weather doesn't seem as nice (I've been watching the weather for Portland and Bangor on my weather channel app on my phone)
To us winter driving is much better up where they keep a layer of snow on the roads [it smooths out the potholes].

Areas where they get less good weather just means they get more slush.

Quote:
... and last but not least, the job market. My husband and I have discussed renting before we get ourselves into a jam buying a house somewhere we're not sure of... I just wish this whole process were easier.
The job market is bad. I agree.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,183 times
wanting to check out a "sleepy Village" by the water to open a small business. I am not looking for a large population. I want a place where everyone knows each other.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Belfast

6k to 8k in population and it's the county seat. It has an old style downtown. Houses away from the water are cheap, and houses near the water aren't that expensive if you are bringing equity with you.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
E
My Dw works in a grocery store in Bangor. Out of 29 fellow employees, only 16 are actually life-long Mainers. 13 of her fellow employees are from 'away'. I would not worry about how you pronounce towns here.
I'd be compelled to ask 13 people why they moved here to work at a grocery store...

nothing against grocery stores - I just can't see how that works. Maine isn't particularly known to attract younger people who want to work minimum wage jobs. You'd figure they'd go south first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine