Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times

Advertisements

My observations on a recent trip were plenty of Mitchell and Cutler signs in Southern Maine on lawns etc. Get away from the coast and head up country and you'll see nothing but LePage signs everywhere.
I can't see how you can trust any polling data these days. A great many people have dropped their land line telephones. We have yet to receive a political call on any of the family's cell phones. I don't know anyone who uses a cell phone who has been contacted by a poll. This leaves the poll skewed toward whomever they can get to answer a land line these days...

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My observations on a recent trip were plenty of Mitchell and Cutler signs in Southern Maine on lawns etc. Get away from the coast and head up country and you'll see nothing but LePage signs everywhere.
I can't see how you can trust any polling data these days. A great many people have dropped their land line telephones. We have yet to receive a political call on any of the family's cell phones. I don't know anyone who uses a cell phone who has been contacted by a poll. This leaves the poll skewed toward whomever they can get to answer a land line these days...
If lawns signs were any indicator....Les Otten would have been the GOP primary winner.

I agree the polling numbers are skewed based on who you can get ahold of via landline. I would guess that those who still have landlines in Maine would typically be older, more conservative voters. Therefore, LePage's polling numbers may look a bit better than they really are. Just a guess though.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

169 posts, read 283,469 times
I think it's going to be very close between the three frontrunners. We won't know who our governor is until Wednesday morning.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
I'll repost here what I posted on my FB page this morning:
"I've spent a fair amount of time this morning combing through websites of candidates for governor. With that information, and from what I've seen and read elsewhere, my decision is made. There will be an Eliot Cutler sign on my front lawn very soon. I'm very proud to support him, and proud too that I don't have to defend his campaign tactics. Character is revealed in many ways, and I feel strongly one of those ways is reflected in HOW a candidate handles press and advertising. If a candidate can't maintain professionalism while campaigning how will he/she maintain professionalism while governing our state?"

I'm disgusted with the mud-slinging from the Libby and LePage campaigns. And, I intentionally refer to her as "Libby" because "Mitchell" in my mind lends itself to George Mitchell, a man I admire and respect. I am so impressed with Cutler's intelligence, his experience, his attitude, his demeanor... and then I read his website. I like his "one size doesn't fit all" approach to education, but I admit to being a little worried. I know if he's elected we're going to see some big changes in education. That's a good thing, but of course, it's a "oh no, not our school!" feeling too. He's correct when he says that government doesn't create jobs, it creates an environment in which business can grow and prosper. He's got some good ideas for reducing the cost of doing business in Maine, and has ideas, county by county on how we all can be doing better. In looking at the photos from his website and his Facebook page this morning I've realized he's been all over the state. You can say "campaigning", and that would be true, but I don't believe he's traveled all those miles and not given any thought to the "real" people he's met. I've liked the videos and soundbites, I like the 5-6 posts a day from his Facebook page. I'm not embarrassed to support him, and I certainly couldn't say that about Libby or LePage.

Just realized in going to add my Cutler vote for the poll on this thread that poll is closed. That's too bad, I'm guessing those numbers have changed.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'll repost here what I posted on my FB page this morning:
"I've spent a fair amount of time ...
You bring up some good points.

Those leading the polls seem to be getting slimier every day.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm disgusted with the mud-slinging from the Libby and LePage campaigns. And, I intentionally refer to her as "Libby" because "Mitchell" in my mind lends itself to George Mitchell, a man I admire and respect. I am so impressed with Cutler's intelligence, his experience, his attitude, his demeanor... and then I read his website. I like his "one size doesn't fit all" approach to education, but I admit to being a little worried. I know if he's elected we're going to see some big changes in education. That's a good thing, but of course, it's a "oh no, not our school!" feeling too. He's correct when he says that government doesn't create jobs, it creates an environment in which business can grow and prosper. He's got some good ideas for reducing the cost of doing business in Maine, and has ideas, county by county on how we all can be doing better. In looking at the photos from his website and his Facebook page this morning I've realized he's been all over the state. You can say "campaigning", and that would be true, but I don't believe he's traveled all those miles and not given any thought to the "real" people he's met. I've liked the videos and soundbites, I like the 5-6 posts a day from his Facebook page. I'm not embarrassed to support him, and I certainly couldn't say that about Libby or LePage.

Just realized in going to add my Cutler vote for the poll on this thread that poll is closed. That's too bad, I'm guessing those numbers have changed.
I was under the "Don't Know Yet" section, but I've pretty much settled on Cutler as well. Libby was never in the running for me because although I think she means well, I think it will just be more of the same old.

I think a lot will change with education anyway - it'll be interesting to see whether or not any state will be able to do much. National standards are coming, and I really don't see a whole lot of good out of that personally. I think we'll lose much more control in state.

I totally agree with what he said on tonight's debate about teachers being slammed around by changing expectations and requirements. Maine Learning Results was an abysmal failure. I actually liked Shawn Moody's stance on Education best (he obviously graduated from The School Of Hard Knocks and there's value in that). It seems he's been studying up since the first debate. I'd honestly love to see someone with NO political experience at all try, but I'm a realist. That ain't gonna happen...

Although I'd like to see Cutler more pro-2nd amendment (which I absolutely think that we should not mess around with) I see that he seems to have the most reasonable answers instead of fluffy verbiage and dramatic hand gestures. Plus, the professionalism vs. childish behavior is refreshing.

I've liked what he's had to say about putting those on assistance back to work in some capacity, whereas the other frontrunners either want to maintain status quo, or continue playing "Dueling Greyhound Bus Passes" with MA (et.al.) like we already do now. If there is an incentive to work, then we will no longer have those seeking a "cushy ride" (although I believe those are less than it's often made out to be).

Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
... I totally agree with what he said on tonight's debate about teachers being slammed around by changing expectations and requirements. ...
Do you have a link to this debate?

I would like to hear one of these debates.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Do you have a link to this debate?

I would like to hear one of these debates.
2010 Gubernatorial Debate - WABI TV5

Here's one I happened upon - I haven't watched it yet.

YNETVLIVE - Maine Gubernatorial debate- span-2010

Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
I like Shawn Moody too, and as much as I hate to say it, I think he needs a little time in the state legislature. I've never been political, but I think there are (unfortunately) basic navigation skills to be learned and a *short* time there would do it. I hope he doesn't disappear. He's more in touch with what's really happening in Maine than the other candidates. I agree with you on Libby! She's been there so long she's out of touch with everything BUT the educational issues, and even then her "solutions" aren't .... well, aren't! LePage has me even more concerned after last night. I can't help but look at him and think "oh God no, anything but that!". One of the things I liked last night about Cutler, and it's such a simple thing but it says a LOT, is that he didn't play that "let me relate to you by using your first name and trying to create a connection to you and make it personal before I answer your question"! He didn't play that game, he didn't waste time, he simply answered the question.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Thanks!

It should be interesting to see these debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine