Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMom76 View Post
I hear that is very very very expensive. Places I would LOVE to visit over there, but I think I want to stay in the states (unless one day we have the money to move to Ireland )
My job took me to Scotland twice a year for about five years; then I was stationed there for 3 years and we owned a home there.

We went to Dublin once for Saint Patties Day, wow they go wild!

We really liked the UK.

The US and UK are two nations separated by a common language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM

163 posts, read 260,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Is there any way you can take a trip there in person? (Sorry if you've addressed this already.) I find a face-to-face discussion can be so much better when it comes to renting when you have a pet. If the potential landlord meets you and feels at ease ("Gee, she seems like someone who will take care of the place and clean up after her pets and take care of any damage") they are more likely to change their policy on a one-time basis.

Good luck!
Thankfully I am going This Wens. Unfortunately I dont have too much time for me to be there. I have 2 little girls (1 and 2). Its a long car ride to a motel room, and then a lot of time spent out on the road hunting down whatever I can. Its a lot to ask of them.
My Husbands sister is going to take them (she has 5 kids of her own, however they are older) for this trip, but I couldn't bring myself to ask her to take them for any longer than the two or three nights she so awesomely offered to do.
My husband is there durning the week, although working full time.

We shall see what magic I can make happen

Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My job took me to Scotland twice a year for about five years; then I was stationed there for 3 years and we owned a home there.

We went to Dublin once for Saint Patties Day, wow they go wild!

We really liked the UK.

The US and UK are two nations separated by a common language.
Scotland another place I would REALLY love to see, our only problem is that we are so in love with Ireland (and have close family history there) that when ever we have any extra money to travel thats where we want to go! Im sure Dublin was a mad house for Saint Pattys, although Im sure there were a TON of tourist in the crowd. When you get into the small towns things are definately different. Although Im sure you know that being in Scotland!
We also like the UK.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,172,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMom76 View Post
Ya know, Im sorry all. I've just spent the entire day on the phone in front of the puter and looking in the local newspapers the Hubby brought back for me this weekend.

Im tired, frusterated and a little sad, I really didnt mean to turn my post into WWE.

Im done with the negativity, and again appologize. On with the search....

Pffffttt...we've all been there, done that before. Chin up! It'll get better.

Welcome.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,032 times
There ARE rentals that take pets. We found one when we came to ME (luckily before we had to arrive).

I would suggest that being there may help. I don't know that area, but I DO know that here in the greater Bangor area, I see a LOT of signs in windows and on lawns... and hear of more places that rent "word of mouth."

I would also suggest being open to places that may look more run down and such than you would prefer. Remember, it's a RENTAL and much as you may not like the idea of moving again, it would give you a base of operations from which to get to know folks and make the sort of contacts that will allow you to likely find a better place -- or find one to buy.

And your outside cat and small dog are MUCH less than we moved with -- 7 inside only kitties and a Saint Bernard! And when we moved, our landlord commented that that place was in better shape than when we moved in, 6 mo earlier (and at that time it had just been refurbished!) and he would be glad to give us glowing referrals. We bought... so we didn't need this.

It is harder to find a place to rent with pets... but I agree with you that they are not expendable/interchangeable.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,700,652 times
We moved to Maine last year and also had to find a rental that allowed pets. It wasn't easy. I must have talked to about 20 different people. Several of them did allow pets, but the rentals were located too far from DH's work. We finally found one that worked out perfectly. We rented for 3 months before buying our house. Just don't give up, IrishMom! Good luck! (BTW, I talked to several realtors re: rentals, and they were really helpful. In fact, the rental we found was through a local realtor...)

Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 AM

42 posts, read 90,975 times
I've been on here for quite a while, mostly in the background, but with occassional comments, and I always knew you were very, very helpful, but that really is an extraordinarily kind offer, Forest!! You are a true prince among men!!!
Quote:
IrishMom76 -

It is easier to house hunt after you live in a community; then it is when you live far away.

I understand.

I suggest that you look for a temporary home without the pets first, and find someone to hold the pets for you, until you can find a better home that allows pets.

I am not near Calais, however if that is the biggest issue your having, I am willing to house your pets until you find a better home for your entire family.

We have friendly dogs and friendly cats here. Our pets are all indoor/outdoor. We have a fairly large home.

During these warm summer days our doors stay open as all of our pets love to run in the forest and chase frogs. However if that concerns you we can modify things to keep your dog indoors. As for the cat, well I have no idea how to allow some cats to use a cat-door while not allowing a specific cat to use the same cat-door.

Or better yet there may be someone on the forum who lives closer to Calais that could offer the same kind of thing for you.

I wish you the best of luck in finding what you need.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,926 times
Offer the the landlord a large pet deposit. Some of us landlords can be pursuaded if we believe that you won't walk away with the pet damage.

The deposit is more for your willingness to fix it yourself so you can get your deposit back.

Zarathu

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,437,852 times
Quote:
IrishMom76 -

It is easier to house hunt after you live in a community; then it is when you live far away.

I understand.

I suggest that you look for a temporary home without the pets first, and find someone to hold the pets for you, until you can find a better home that allows pets.

I am not near Calais, however if that is the biggest issue your having, I am willing to house your pets until you find a better home for your entire family.

We have friendly dogs and friendly cats here. Our pets are all indoor/outdoor. We have a fairly large home.

During these warm summer days our doors stay open as all of our pets love to run in the forest and chase frogs. However if that concerns you we can modify things to keep your dog indoors. As for the cat, well I have no idea how to allow some cats to use a cat-door while not allowing a specific cat to use the same cat-door.

Or better yet there may be someone on the forum who lives closer to Calais that could offer the same kind of thing for you.

I wish you the best of luck in finding what you need.
I'm having a month that I'm not thinking too much of humans lately. Forrest, you restored my faith and made me smile. You are my hero this week, my friend!

IM, we're pulling for you. Hubby and I have been dying to get to Maine for so long and want so badly to get some land in Eastport. I hope this works like a dream for you. We're following your move. It gives us hope!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Offer the the landlord a large pet deposit. Some of us landlords can be pursuaded if we believe that you won't walk away with the pet damage.

The deposit is more for your willingness to fix it yourself so you can get your deposit back.

Zarathu
yeah someone suggested that, looks like a route we will take, good suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine