Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 10,062 times

Advertisements

I have recently been thinking of moving to Maine but haven't the foggist idea where to start looking. I've lived St. Louis, Missouri my entire life and would like something different. I like small towns (villages) w/beaches, light houses, houses w/fireplaces, snow in the winter, etc. What types of jobs are available? I've heard good things about York, Maine and York Beach, Maine (same thing?). Help where should I start or does someone have a website they could suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Have you seen this yet?

https://www.city-data.com/city/York-Maine.html

Lots of good info there.

The best thing you can do is take a trip. We made a list and went for a visit. Places we thought we'd love, we didn't. Places we didn't even consider, we fell in love with.

Bangor is a nice city. But make no mistake: It's still a city. Not small town.

We really liked Presque Isle, but it's a good long ways from the coast.

Loved, loved, loved Brunswick.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Boy, for all my complaining I'll admit that Maine has many different areas that offer so much. You have the coast and you have the mountains, you have urban and rural. But with in each of those you have so much more you can choose. Try google (find you spot) you can narrow down what part of the country you want to live in and then take a quiz to find what cities or towns most meet what your looking for. Good luck

Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Anywhere North of Bangor is just really nice

Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM

106 posts, read 422,434 times
if you ask me, Portland

Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM

222 posts, read 529,721 times
Default It depends on you

Finding the "best" place in Maine is not possible because each person needs something a little different. To me Washington County coast is the "best" to another person all the possibilities that Portland presents makes it the "best." I think that you must examine your own requirements and see what the crucial attributes that you are looking for in a place to live. Make a list of at least 5 things that you feel makes a place feel like home. In Maine, go beyond safe, good schools, small town feel as most places in Maine have this when you make your list. Think more about the environment that you want-I wanted low housing prices, a working fishing villiage, and a view of the water in a town that still had a bit of an artsy flair. I narrowed my search down to Lubec and Eastport.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 9,846 times
TO MARK S.: Brunswick. Could you tell me more about Brunswick?

sb.clemmer@verizon.net

Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Right. It all depends on YOU. We're all looking for different things. Maybe we all need to ask "where would be the best place for......." and declare our desired lifestyle.

For instance, I can run nekkid in Forest's back yard but probably would be frowned upon in downtown Portland!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
We spent years finding just the right town for us to retire in - we spent almost 10 years coming to a different part of Maine every summer or fall. We did a lot of research on the computer about Maine and when narrowed our search down to 5 places, we requested information from each Chamber of Commerce.

We have owned our home in Eastport for 4 years now and will retire for good here in a little over 2 years. I love this little island city in Northern Maine. It has a lot of wonderful things to do, not a lot of nightlife but we don't require being entertained or going to nightclubs.

The Salmon Festival is tomorrow, can't wait for that and the Pirate Festival is today. Always something going on here in Eastport.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Right. It all depends on YOU. We're all looking for different things. Maybe we all need to ask "where would be the best place for......." and declare our desired lifestyle.

For instance, I can run nekkid in Forest's back yard but probably would be frowned upon in downtown Portland!
True.

You could run nekkid, go nekkid-kayaking, or just watch the chickens foraging for food in the forest while nekkid; all in my backyard and nobody would frown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine