Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

177 posts, read 531,173 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well, I've had absolutely no luck with the job-hunt and relocating to Maine, so I'm thinking this winter that the gf (maybe fiance by that time?) will head up north and do a trip all over the state. The main purpose would be to see what each part of the state is like during that time of year. Now, the only job that I've actually had a phone interview for was in Caribou, and we're not sure we'd be willing to move that far north. Hopefully this trip will help us make a decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,704,858 times
Good idea and gongrats on the impending engagement! Come in Late January or February for a real taste of Maine winter. See where the sidewalks are all neatly rolled up and put away until spring. All of the lovely antique shops, seasonal restaurants, and novelty stores handsomely boarded up for the winter. Breathe that good fresh Maine air temporarily filled with the scent of 250,000 wood stoves cranked up to keep our rear ends warm. Go stand on your favorite lake, or climb to the top of a 10 foot snow bank for a wonderful view of the woods and fields. Snowmobile suits are the fashion of the season along with full face masks to keep the -25F cold from freezing your cheeks. And don't forget the felt lined boots and down mittens....mandatory for spending any time outside. Yes Maine is certainly something to see in the winter and it WILL help you to make the decision to move to some place warm!!

Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM

177 posts, read 531,173 times
That all sounds great to me. I've been to Maine a zillion times, but never in the winter. Definitely my favorite season of the year! Nothing makes me feel more alive than cold!

Last edited by Drayb3; 08-04-2010 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM

70 posts, read 157,457 times
Personally, I LOVE Maine in the winter. This is my first summer ever in Maine and quite frankly, I'm still trying to learn how to survive it with the arrival of so many tourists.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,725,843 times
Tourists? You have tourists?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,922,405 times
I live in Caribou. It gets cold here, that's for sure. But it all depends on the person. I don't mind it that much. If you get out and do things in the winter, that helps.
Last winter was the easiest ever (for just about everybody in Maine). I know it won't be like that every winter, but it was kind of nice.
You have a good plan to come in winter, and see all parts of Maine. This area is big on winter recreation. We actually get as many tourists in winter as in summer. I really like Caribou alot (and living up north). I have lived all over Maine, but I am from the County. (My wife is from Toronto though, and she loves it too.) It's just a really different world, it's hard to explain. I don't think I would live anywhere else now.

Last edited by maineguy8888; 08-04-2010 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,704,858 times
You folks did know I was being cynical..... right???

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,708,015 times
Drayb3~We visited Maine in February last year for a week. The day before we arrived, a foot of snow had fallen (on top of the 8 inches or so already on the ground.) It was beautiful! We were lucky enough to be able to relocate to Maine 3 months after that visit. I lived through 20 + Wisconsin winters, so cold weather doesn't bother me. So glad to be here now! Hope you have a great winter vacation!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:07 PM

192 posts, read 395,034 times
We have made 3 winter visits ( out of many) and by far have had the most fun during these wintry trips. I even managed to get stuck last time.....not that I need Maine roads for that to happen. Being from Ohio I am used to the cold, but the massive amount of snow was the most beautiful thing I may have ever seen. I always tell my neighbors when they wish for a nice blanket of snow they are clueless as to the real definition of snow. We haven't pulled the trigger on the move yet. Just waiting to finish my BSN, and we will be on our way.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,123,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You folks did know I was being cynical..... right???
NO! You??

I love winter, but I was disappointed in the lack of snow in our neck of the woods. There were decisions I purposely made so that I'd be able to get out and enjoy the snow, and then we just didn't have enough to do what I would have liked. Maineguy my son is at UMPI, so I know you got a little more snow than us down here, but not close to the average snowfall for you guys either. I am hoping for a LOT of snow this coming winter! One thing about visiting in the winter, do your homework as far as finding activities for certain areas. In the summer it's pretty easy to be downtown or on a whale watch and hear about things going on, but in the winter people are off on snowmobiles, skis, ice fishing, sliding.... so an area might appear to be a ghost town, but then you discover there's an ice fishing derby going on and most people are at the lake, or the snowmobile club is doing a poker run, or it's tourney week and the whole town is at the Bangor Auditorium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine