Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

I have a house traler that i paid almost nothing for now the town is trying to say it is worth like 15000.00 grand. If i could get that i would sell it and buy one that was worth what they say and not witch about it. I couldnt get 2000.00 grand for this thing unless they were blind and wanted to use it for stourage. and that might be a streach if someone told them about all the leaks in the roof. Taxes are leagal extortian. out of country might be better. sorry just needed to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
The fact that humans are living in a structure makes it automatically 'worth' about $10k to an assessor. Even if half the roof is gone, and the door is missing.

We are still building our home, the state sent us a form asking how much we have spent during construction. Now we have every receipt and will retain them for our income taxes. So I answered this state form $20k [and some change]. They came back and assessed the building at $85k.

Assessed value and market value are not related terms.

These are two entirely different ideas.

Thankfully we live in a state with very low property taxes. So even my house being assessed at $85k was only taxed $850. My 42 acres of riverfrontage forest is taxed $47.

So we really can not complain too much about these low taxes.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Mobile homes are a difficult thing too. They just don't hold their value--and you've got to have them placed on an nice piece of land in order to squeeze anything out of them at all. Property taxes vary a great deal in different areas of the state, here in Calais it tends to be high, but I feel I get a lot for that in return too--I have 4 kids in a good school department that provides a great education, we have an active rec department, very nice athletic fields and playgrounds, our streets stay clear in the winter, as well as the sidewalks plowed, very little trash around, nice riverfront park, library, police/fire/ambulance---we definately use our resources here It makes paying the tax bill easier when there's nothing you would give up!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think the assesment system has an appeals process. Look into having your trailer revalued.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 PM

375 posts, read 610,030 times
"So we really can not complain too much about these low taxes."

Maine has long had the (well deserved) reputation of being a high-tax state.

According to this site: The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Maine

Maine's state and local tax burden is 2nd highest in the country and 6th highest property tax in this nation. Gas taxes are 11th highest in the nation.

Have they figured a way to tax the air you Mainers breath yet?

What low taxes?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
What low taxes?

Your profile says L.A.

How much taxes does one acre cost in L.A.?

Here it costs me about $1.05 each year. Riverfrontage that is.

In L.A. on acre would cost like what $5,000 each year?

Your sick, sitting in the land of high taxes and griping about Maine?

LOL

Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
I'd like to clarify some things about Maine's taxes. I know me and forest have disagreed in the past even thought I think we both have a good grip of how taxes are levied.

I think the difference between HIGH tax, and tax BURDEN has been discussed also.

When I look at Maines Property taxes I look at major populated areas or just outside. I'ts subjective and I wouldn't want to live in Aroostook co. But I have found Property taxes in the bigger cities in Maine Lew/Aub, Portland and vicinity, and even Augusta to be high. I would not expect to find our taxes to be substantially higher or even as high compared to places like california, Seattle, ect. But what I HAVE found is that the mil rates for the majority of municipalities in the south IE. VA, NC, SC, GA to be substantially lower.

My sister outside of richmond va has a mil rate of $5,I have a mil rate of $25 And I can find many places who's property taxes are substantially lower. Combine that with Maine's overall poor economy and I think it speaks for itself. Again it depends on where you looking but In MY experiences Maine has high property taxes. And I agree Forest that $47 for that much land is impressive. It would just never work for me.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM

I have owned property in California; I have owned in Scotland; I have owned in Washington; and we still own property in Connecticut; and now here in Maine.

In my limited experience; I have found property taxes in Maine to be very low. However I am out in a rural area, just North of Bangor, and I have some treegrowth.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM

And I do understand 'tax burden' and how it differs from taxes.

An acre in L.A. costing $5,000/year in an area where you would be expected to be earning $200,000/year is a low comparative burden. Although it is still a high tax.

Whereas here if an acre cost you $50/year in an area where the average income was $20,000/year it may well appear as a higher burden. Though itis still a low tax.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Money Magazine ranked Maine #1 in overall taxation in the country.
A friend of mine lives in Dover - Foxcroft and talks about the outlandish property tax, income tax, and tag tax.

In all my travels I notice more that my fathers famous saying is true.
"Rather property, sales, or death, when it comes to taxes both hidden and seen, each state will find a way to screww you equally"

My last two residences were Chicago for 3 years and now Atlanta.
In Chicago my property tax was 7,000 and income tax was 3%
In Atlanta my property tax is 3,500 and my income tax is 6%

In Chicago my heat bill and sales tax were out of this world
In Atlanta my A/C bill and sales tax are out of this world

In Chicago my gas costs was 20% per gallon more than Atlanta
In Atlanta my car insurance is 20% more than it was in Chicago.

Moral of the story: Maine might be rather taxing, but it is one beautiful state and not to crowded and overall safe. Do you get what you pay for?

Chicago / Illinois was high cost and very crowded, not the most beautiful state, and rather safe. Do I get what I paid for? No

Atlanta / Georgia is about equal in overall costs, very crowded, rather beautiful, and dangerous as heck. Do I get what I paid for? No

I have a feeling you don't get what you pay for in Maine either, but until we all ban together and hold taxing beaucrats to account via the ballot box, it does not matter where you go. You will get taxed and will not get what you pay for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine