Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its all relative, and yes, what we value in a lifestyle, i live in maine, and have a house on the water (for 15 yrs) its valued well over 200k and my property taxes are 750.
Not bad at all.

Quote:
... however, as property taxes go, it does depend where, and what town you are in.
True.

Quote:
... i guess its pretty easy to throw mud, from los angeles, or georgia, but having lived in maine, i wouldnt live anywheres' else, especially los angeles, how many people got murdered(in l.a.) in the last week??

can you leave your house unlocked, and not worry about it??

if your car breaks down,, are you more worried about getting your car fixed, or some thug pulling over, to rob you??

is the air fresh, or clean?

can you freely walk anywhere, and not worry about a "bad section of town"?

or not walk at night?
Great post !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post

Have they figured a way to tax the air you Mainers breath yet?
I'm breathing fine, looks like Forest and MaineBrokerMan are too. Clean, fresh air scented with pine or salt water, depending upon where you live. I can see thousands of stars each night from my yard.....the crime rate is low, the kids are in a great school, we have wonderful healthcare....hmm......

I'm getting what I'm paying for. And you know what? I'm keeping it.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 PM

mollysmiles, MaineBrokerMan -

When was the last time that either of you felt that you needed to use your house key?

I have a house key. I know because I installed the front doors on my house, and I used it then to test and make sure that the locks worked.

I knew that a few of my new friends keep their car keys in their cars [and pickups], but I did not realize how common such behavior is around here until last week, when it came up as a topic at the VFW. Most folks there leave their vehicle keys in the ignition.

Why? Because we live in Maine.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

When was the last time that either of you felt that you needed to use your house key?

I have a house key. I know because I installed the front doors on my house, and I used it then to test and make sure that the locks worked.

I knew that a few of my new friends keep their car keys in their cars [and pickups], but I did not realize how common such behavior is around here until last week, when it came up as a topic at the VFW. Most folks there leave their vehicle keys in the ignition.

Nice post.....even nicer because it's not an exaggeration. I don't even know where my house key is....

I will say, I have an 8 year old, a 14 year old, an almost 16 year old, and a 17 year old---I don't leave the keys in the Jeeps or the van anymore They should at least have to ask for them! (especially the 8 year old!)

Old 06-22-2007, 08:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
When we get back to Maine (early 2008 I hope!!!) we will definitely have to move further north.

Our 1300 sq foot house on 1/4 acre in Winslow is assessed at $80,400 and our property tax bill was just under $1800.00.

Our previous house, 1800 sq feet on 1/10 acre in WTVL (can't remember the assessed value) had a tax bill of $2400.00.

And we definitely locked (and dead bolted) our doors at night but I have a friend on the PD so I know what really goes on

We were thinking further north anyway, and this post definitely confirms our thinking.

And while we're waiting, if anyone wants to send us a jar of ocean or pine scented air, it would be greatly appreciated! LOL!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Nice post.....even nicer because it's not an exaggeration. I don't even know where my house key is....

I will say, I have an 8 year old, a 14 year old, an almost 16 year old, and a 17 year old---I don't leave the keys in the Jeeps or the van anymore They should at least have to ask for them! (especially the 8 year old!)

LOL

Peace

Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

i really dont know where my house key is either, havent thought about it, since i moved in 15 yrs ago..

Old 06-23-2007, 07:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

forest, last yr, i went hunting with my dad, we parked the truck, and out of habit, he takes the keys and throws them in the cupholder, ..still very visible,
now he just bought a brand new toyota tundra, and he's leaving the keys in it. and also does it,,in his driveway.
only in maine!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:11 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
It all depends on where you live in Maine. We keep our vehicles and doors locked at night and while we are away from home. Never used to but some good friends of ours scared off someone who was trying to steal the radio/cd player out of their truck. Too many home invasions going on around the L/A area not to lock the house. Of course, my 99 lb Lab will let us know if anyone is around, then proceed to lick their face. LOL

Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
It all depends on where you live in Maine. We keep our vehicles and doors locked at night and while we are away from home. Never used to but some good friends of ours scared off someone who was trying to steal the radio/cd player out of their truck. Too many home invasions going on around the L/A area not to lock the house. Of course, my 99 lb Lab will let us know if anyone is around, then proceed to lick their face. LOL
True, when you live urban, you get the urban lifestyle.

And we do have many folks who live in Maine technically, but they are still in urban areas of Maine [ie, Northern Mass].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine