Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 PM

146 posts, read 520,694 times

Advertisements

That would be cool that city could have so much if they just try to put forth effort. I dont think that alot of people think that Lubbock could be anything but a dusty old college town but if people really wanted it to it could be a great city. I have a vision for lubbock but i dont have any authority over there so alot of good it does.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
are there anyother people besides mcdougal that like to develope Lubbock? so far it seems that he is the only one who has major projects going on to grow lubbock
Actually, there is a lot of outside investment. Canyon Crossing is being developed by a contractor which I believe is based out of Houston. The Marsha Sharp Freeway is designed and supervised by the same company that did the Dallas North Tollway. The Lubbock Business Park and Vintage Township are done by outside developers. I think people are starting to see just how much potential Lubbock has. In fact, I recently came across an article which states Lubbock is the fourth best city in the nation to invest.
Top 10 Places to Invest for 2007

Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 4 days ago)

52,709 posts, read 48,006,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Actually, there is a lot of outside investment. Canyon Crossing is being developed by a contractor which I believe is based out of Houston. The Marsha Sharp Freeway is designed and supervised by the same company that did the Dallas North Tollway. The Lubbock Business Park and Vintage Township are done by outside developers. I think people are starting to see just how much potential Lubbock has. In fact, I recently came across an article which states Lubbock is the fourth best city in the nation to invest.
Top 10 Places to Invest for 2007
I should have realized that already with the LBP and Vintage Township. Very good points, Westerner. TXDOT's already handling the MSF.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:54 PM

146 posts, read 520,694 times
I know that they are already doing stuff for lubbocks downtown but how many of you think that if they get someone to reface and redesign the NTS building. Not tear it down just redo the outside make it modern. If someone did that dont you think that it would make lubbocks downtown more modern and apealing. I know that it is just one building but it is a good start and more buildings could be made more modern looking. Just an idea what does everyone think.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 4 days ago)

Default The NTS Building

Quote:
I know that they are already doing stuff for lubbocks downtown but how many of you think that if they get someone to reface and redesign the NTS building. Not tear it down just redo the outside make it modern. If someone did that dont you think that it would make lubbocks downtown more modern and apealing. I know that it is just one building but it is a good start and more buildings could be made more modern looking. Just an idea what does everyone think.
They could make it tornado-proof.

Actually, it's not really tall enough to make a significant difference if other high-rises come on the scene eventually. The powers that be might as well leave it alone. I just hope the dang thing is safe --- remember, it got damaged in the 1970 tornado. As it stands today, it's the most visible building, but it can only be best viewed from within three miles. That tells you how far Lubbock needs to go in reshaping its downtown situation.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
They're re-doing the Pioneer Hotel right next to it, so I don't see why not.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 24,255 times
No, I waited tables in Lubbock and you can get alcohol at any/all the major chains.

Lubbock is a terrible place though. Seriously, the worst place I've ever been. If you must come to this part of the country, try Amarillo.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd317 View Post
No, I waited tables in Lubbock and you can get alcohol at any/all the major chains.

Lubbock is a terrible place though. Seriously, the worst place I've ever been. If you must come to this part of the country, try Amarillo.
I guess I didn't realize how miserable I was.

Last edited by Westerner92; 01-14-2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: supressing anger

Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,375,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I guess I didn't realize how miserable I was.
Me too. Odd but Lubbock was the only city I lived in during my career where I had a bumper sticker that read that I loved it.

My sticker wasn't pink though.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd317 View Post

Give a few of us some time. Westerner, shoe01, and myself will fix Lubbock if you think it's terrible.

In all sincere seriousness, I am very sorry you had such a bad experience in Lubbock, and not every city is for everybody. You've chosen another place to live, and that's good. Even though I don't live in the Hub City, I do visit there when I can and I actually hope one day to get back there more often. I have no problems with the place, and it's always a real kick to visit West Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock