Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,582,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
And now you will be hoping to find it anywhere.

KTXT shuts down
Yeah, that really is sad. The college students running it didn't even know it was shutting down until the day it happened. They are trying desperately to bring it back on air,even if it means selling commercials.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post
Lubbock is not a dry county as some suggest. The city of Lubbock currently disallows packaged alcohol sales within city limits. Which means you have to drive to "The Strip" or to the eastern side of the county to pick up any booze. However, it appears all of this is about to change as a petition was successfully put together to put the issue up for a vote in May. And believe me, packaged alcohol sales in the city will pass in a landslide.

Restaurants and bars have been allowed to sell alcohol for decades now without the membership restriction.
Even though I don't drink much, having the May alcohol vote pass will be a significant step toward having new businesses come to the city, including corporations. Yes, I will agree that it will be a huge risk, but sometimes you have to take risks to get growth in your city and see new things happen. There are risks in everything you do, good or bad.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Airing Out / Dead Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltShift View Post
It was a great city for college. I can't see myself returning.

Lubbock is a city of extremes. Extreme weather. Extreme People. Get rid of all the crazy Christians (not all of them! just the crazies) and maybe I could return. I grew up a Lutheran, and honestly I heard once, "Is that a cult?" Yes, a cult--the largest Christian group after Catholics. Also, the religious crazies --> dry city --> alcohol abuse. A lot of people in Lubbock believe that prostitutes and dangerous homeless people are hanging out in front of every beer-selling convenience store in the rest of the world. (Yes, I heard that on a KCBD broadcast one night.) But, I will say, there is a pretty awesome counterculture that exists in Lubbock. The live music scene is great for a city its size. And, KTXT is just about the best college radio station you could hope to find anywhere.
I'm sorry you had, on the one hand, a bad experience. Sometimes a few folks tend to overstep the boundaries of their faiths, and no one should ever have to judge anyone. That said, in the times I've been to Lubbock, I have not experienced that problem with folks I've come in contact with. I've found the people in town to be quite friendly, including when I was eating out for breakfast at a former Skillet's restaurant, and a couple of men saw my then-new Houston Texans cap, and we just started an impromptu conversation, and it was a good morning. And I will affirm your belief in the live music scene --- they do have it and they need more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
And now you will be hoping to find it anywhere.

KTXT shuts down
I found out last night. Very surprising. I still believe, after many shutdowns that KTXT has had, that I'm sure the students will do whatever is in their power to revive it.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Does anyone else have anything to say about Lubbock? I'm interested in hearing visitors' opinions/experiences with Lubbock.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Does anyone else have anything to say about Lubbock? I'm interested in hearing visitors' opinions/experiences with Lubbock.
I mentioned in a previous post that I like Lubbock a lot. However, I might add that my family lived there the mid-1980s. In fact, my family is planning to move back to the Lubbock area hopefully this summer if the economic sky does not completely collapse before then.

I've been watching home prices around Lubbock for several years now and they have been relatively stable to slightly rising like most areas of Texas. However, if oil prices stay low much longer, many areas in Texas will undoubtedly see a hit to their real estate markets. I was a Lubbock homeowner who sold my home there in the 1980s when oil and farm prices were down. It wasn't a good, or profitable, experience. I have also been watching home prices in New Mexico for some time and l believe I can see lower oil prices already starting to affect New Mexico real estate. However, outside of being directly involved in the real estate business, I think that a longer observation period will be needed to be sure of what I'm seeing. It could just be the declining national economy.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I mentioned in a previous post that I like Lubbock a lot. However, I might add that my family lived there the mid-1980s. In fact, my family is planning to move back to the Lubbock area hopefully this summer if the economic sky does not completely collapse before then.

I've been watching home prices around Lubbock for several years now and they have been relatively stable to slightly rising like most areas of Texas. However, if oil prices stay low much longer, many areas in Texas will undoubtedly see a hit to their real estate markets. I was a Lubbock homeowner who sold my home there in the 1980s when oil and farm prices were down. It wasn't a good, or profitable, experience. I have also been watching home prices in New Mexico for some time and l believe I can see lower oil prices already starting to affect New Mexico real estate. However, outside of being directly involved in the real estate business, I think that a longer observation period will be needed to be sure of what I'm seeing. It could just be the declining national economy.
Is Lubbock's real estate really affected by oil? I think it's odd that an industry that doesn't have much of a presence would affect our market. My house is going up in value anyway.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Is Lubbock's real estate really affected by oil? I think it's odd that an industry that doesn't have much of a presence would affect our market. My house is going up in value anyway.
Lubbock real estate was certainly affected in the 1980s and fairly dramatically. All of Texas economics are affected by oil prices although some areas are affected more than others. Lubbock's proximity to the Permian Basin makes it vulnerable.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm going to move the thread back up. Does anybody else have anything to say?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:00 PM

146 posts, read 520,647 times
are there anyother people besides mcdougal that like to develope Lubbock? so far it seems that he is the only one who has major projects going on to grow lubbock

Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
are there anyother people besides mcdougal that like to develope Lubbock? so far it seems that he is the only one who has major projects going on to grow lubbock
I wish Trammell Crow or Ross Perot, Jr, or anyone in Houston could go out there and at least experiment with new ideas. Can you imagine renowned architects descending on Lubbock?? They could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock