Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Just saw an article that Jefferson Co had 51 homicides as on Dec 30, which is the second lowest total in modern history and the lowest rate since the 1950s

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...WS10/312300050
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Just saw an article that Jefferson Co had 51 homicides as on Dec 30, which is the second lowest total in modern history and the lowest rate since the 1950s

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...WS10/312300050
That is GREAT news considering Jefferson County is now at one of its highest populations of all time, and with many more immigrants than before. Great work to LMPD and a sign of an overall healthier, safer city.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Attaboy to Louisville Metro PD.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The ecyclopedia of lists homicide totals for the old City Limits from the 1950s to 1990s and even just in the city limits there were often more homicides than that. Even in the "old ole days". There were 54 homicides in the city limits in 1950, that's before Elvis became the King. The city at that time had less the half the population the county does now.

Obviously to get to zero homicides is the ultimate goal. 50 is still 50 too many, but glad progress is being made

Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Yelp, CD, you are so right. 50 in Louisville is 50 too many.

I bet if we had liberal use of the Death Penalty, there might have been only one or two. We must find a way to stop this massacre. Let's kill 50 in one day, it would be called a massacre... What difference is it really. 50 families suffering plus another 200 wounded, many of who required heroic efforts to save them including those left in a vegetative state.

Come on now... let's find something we can really brag about.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

I bet if we had liberal use of the Death Penalty, there might have been only one or two. We must find a way to stop this massacre. Let's kill 50 in one day, it would be called a massacre... What difference is it really. 50 families suffering plus another 200 wounded, many of who required heroic efforts to save them including those left in a vegetative state.

Tom, find me a major US city in the US without homicides and I will find you a place that doesn't exist. Louisville's 2013 doesn't even register anywhere near anything bad, and my guess is you can find some very small towns with more homicides. Still, 50 is too many....I agree

Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Peter, unlike you, I am not looking for a city with homicides. I am looking for a city with none. We can't wish it or simply police it. Fire Departments and police departments are responders, not enforcers. Yeah, they can write a ticket, and they can inspect a property, but when the guns go off and the fires start burning, there is damage too late to stop.

Since the "unfair" death penalty was abolished in the 1960's, the unfair burden of innocents killed by individuals who consider themselves to be prosecutor, jury, judge and executioner has far and away replaced the very few innocents executed by the law.

It's time America started realizing that we could put a cop in every house and without fear of more than three hots and a cot (Jesse Jackson, 1996 DNC), murders will still occur.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:

Compared to the 100+ DC had this year, it is something that can be bragged about. Louisville is one of the safer big cities in the US, any large city would like to be able to say that.

Virginia is one of the states that uses the death penalty more effectively than anyone and there are still homicides here. In fact my hometown in Southern VA had 15 murders this year which is not good considering our population is only around 140k. Renegade use of the death penalty like you are mentioning is not the solution.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Compared to the 100+ DC had this year, it is something that can be bragged about. Louisville is one of the safer big cities in the US, any large city would like to be able to say that.

Virginia is one of the states that uses the death penalty more effectively than anyone and there are still homicides here. In fact my hometown in Southern VA had 15 murders this year which is not good considering our population is only around 140k. Renegade use of the death penalty like you are mentioning is not the solution.
Ok, so I am wrong. That's great, but am I really? May not stop all the murders, heck even the historic times of Rome or Bible mention murder and heck, Christ was crucified next to a common thief. I am not ignorant, but this I do know, lifers back on the street won't be killing their next innocent little girl sitting on her porch, or in her families living room.

The war zones must be cleared. I am a Realtor. I make my living selling homes and getting paid a commission based on how much they sell for. War zones, ie. Detroit, have little or no value.

Now, let's talk about human value. Politically liberal people evidentially don't have much for other people's lives. Abortion of humans, but don't dare harm the feather of an owl. Murder just for the heck of it, as 45 of the 55 Louisville deaths likely were. (The other 10 yes they had value, but their deaths like Sgt. York said when he shot 20 Germans, saved many more.)

You who think crime is ok at any number really need to stop being apologetic. Please think about it.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Quote:
Ok, so I am wrong. That's great, but am I really?

You who think crime is ok at any number really need to stop being apologetic. Please think about it.
Yes, I would say you're wrong on multiple points, but mostly in that you seem to be attacking somene about a statement you never understood in the first place. The original comment you started this rant off of said they were happy that the murder rate had gone down so much. No one said that many murders was still ok, just that it was good the number had gone down. That decrease indicates not so much that the police are doing their job, but more so that the community is headed in a positive rather than negative direction. I'm not really sure why you have such a problem that people would be excited or proud that the murder rate in their city had gone down or why there is a need for the attitude that anything short of the impossible is acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area