Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 PM

354 posts, read 855,309 times

Advertisements

I have never met a Cajun before what are they like? I know that every ones different but in general whats the culture like? How do they get a long with other members of the comunity? Do most of them have an accent? What do other ethnic groups think about them?

I know that Amish and Cajuns are completely different. I live in Pennsylvania andthe Amish around Lancaster are well liked but they are looked down on in the Western part of the state. They really keep to themselves and are a lot poorer then the ones in Lancaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:38 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I have never met a Cajun before what are they like? I know that every ones different but in general whats the culture like? How do they get a long with other members of the comunity? Do most of them have an accent? What do other ethnic groups think about them?

I know that Amish and Cajuns are completely different. I live in Pennsylvania andthe Amish around Lancaster are well liked but they are looked down on in the Western part of the state. They really keep to themselves and are a lot poorer then the ones in Lancaster.
Cajuns are fun-loving, warm people. But they like to drink and party on just about any occasion. So be forewarned, if that's not your cup of tea. And many are staunch Catholics.

Many (but not all) have the distinctive accent, especially if they've stayed in south Louisiana. As to "how other ethnic groups think", I would say a mixture of admiration, look down upon, and contempt (for the drinking and partying). But the best things about Cajuns is they're the real deal - there's not much pretension with them.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
My wife's family is from Layfayette. It is considered the heart of cajun country. They are a fun lovign people with very strong family ties. They also are some of teh best cooks i thsi coutnry and many thing the only origianl american cruise cokking. But like so many this cokkign come from very poor roots and involves alot of prep.Next to lfayfettte is breaux bridge which is pur cajun . Then noit far away is the very beautiful town of Saint martinsville where the Teche bayou fllows thru and the Evagline Oak is at from Long feloows poem Evangaline. The Martin Detour church known has the church of the Arcadians is in the town sqaure. Also in the area are some very good restaurants from basci to cruise. The cajuns are as sated a very friendly and family mionded people that like nothing better thasn to have a get together and love to dance.My wife family are as tioght as two peas in a pods as they say.The religion is most catholic and the hertiage is french with all that goes with it.As I remmeber it Martin detour was the first catholic church in the US and was built by local craftmans and is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen;especially considering that when built most of the people were very poor.Just to the east of layfayette is a plantation which has the staircase that was copied for Gone With the Wind. Also nearby is the sacred heart academy for girls from elementray thru 12th grade that has been there since 1832. It is like traveling back into civil war times to go there. The girls were taught everyhting need to become ladies and even today can bring their hoprses as they have stables. They live at the acdemy.Really a beautiful place with alot of traditions. I would say that traditions die hard in that part of Louisana because of the family traditions mainly.When I went with my wifes local church to vist the academy ( I am methodist) I will never forget when I wqas walking by the stables. The kids are like they were i the 1950 and very friendly. AS I passed by I saw a girl that looked to be i her early teens in her riding pants cleaning her saddle with her riding boots on. She had long black haiur and when she truned and said hello ;I thought I was seeing Elizabeth Taylor in national Velvet she was so striking.I really enjoy going to visit my wife relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana