Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM

9 posts, read 15,208 times

Advertisements

Hows it going everyone!

Me and my wife will be moving to Lafayette for a job with a hospital there. I have never been there and only been through north LA driving. I had some questions I hoped that y'all could help with.

1) Tornadoes: My wife requested that I asked about this because she hates them lol. So do they happen down there? or do ya'll just get warnings and all that? I figure y'all get hurricanes but was not sure about tornadoes.

2) Nightlife/Entertainment: We are both in our mid 20's and still want to be able to go out and have a good time every once in a while. Can you go two-step and listen to live music? Are there a lot of places to go?

3) Culture: This was one I was really wondering about, growing up in Alabama, I'm used to deep south culture and really miss it, so what is the areas culture like? About the only reference I have is from running into LSU fans when they came to Alabama to play, which did not leave a good taste ha.

3) Religion: Me and my wife are pretty hardcore Catholic's, and I read that there is a big Catholic presence there, is this true? and are the parishes pretty close-knit?

and finally

4) Where to live: We have pretty much decided on the Youngsville/Broussard area but have not started looking yet until we were absolutly certain.

I think that about covers it for right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,331,499 times
Based on your questions I truly feel that you chose the right place.

First off, tornadoes.
In springtime we get an occasional tornado and several warnings.
Actual tornado touchdowns are rare and usually f0 or f1 intensity. Nothing like what you might experience in the high texas plains.

Nightlife. Lafayette loves to party.
Downtown has lots of events, live music, local bands, clubs, restaurants and the surrounding cajun towns arent shabby either! During certain times of year we have Downtown alive and my favorite world music and culture festival in April called Festival International. There are actually several restaurants in the vicinity with dance floors for two steppin to live cajun or zydeco bands.

Culture.
Lafayette is the main hub of activity in sw louisiana and it is the collecting point of cajun culture for the region.
Anything music, language, cuisine, artistic, or behavioral that has to do with cajuns or their culture you will find all around here. This place loves to pass a good time cher! And yes, you will hear and see French influence.

Catholics are highly prevalent in cajun culture.
You will find catholic churches all over the city.
I have been to several and they are all wonderful.

As for where to live, you have the right idea.
If you need to know anything else, just ask!

Last edited by Innotech; 08-10-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times
Take the chance to visit the local area Catholic churches. They're very beautiful. my personal favorite is my hometown church in Carencro, LA.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Take the chance to visit the local area Catholic churches. They're very beautiful. my personal favorite is my hometown church in Carencro, LA.
That church is a beautiful classic design. I love to visit it.
The one my parents have always gone to is St Elizabeth Seton on the northside. Its in an older neighborhood on the very northern edge of town and its a beautiful modern church.
Other good ones are St Pious X on the southside off of Kaliste Saloom and Holy Cross in the Broadmoor subdivision.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,038,897 times
You will love it there, period. I miss it terribly

Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 15,208 times
Thanks for all the answers!

I did have another question about the bayou's. I grew up swimming in rivers and playing in swamps and was wondering if it was safe to swim in a bayou? Or are there lakes and all that stuff in the region to swim or tube in?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig'em12 View Post
Thanks for all the answers!

I did have another question about the bayou's. I grew up swimming in rivers and playing in swamps and was wondering if it was safe to swim in a bayou? Or are there lakes and all that stuff in the region to swim or tube in?
There are lakes/swamps all over the area but there are alligators in those. I've seen people skiing/wakeboarding out there, but its mostly a fishing spot in the Atchafalaya basin. If you want to go swimming, there are other lakes further north in Louisiana especially in state parks that I would recommend to check out instead for safety reasons, but if you really grew up doing such things, its up to your discretion. I wouldnt personally swim in the bayous, as the current can be pretty strong and they are prone to high flood stages very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana