Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:21 PM

420 posts, read 478,827 times

Advertisements

Now let me make my mark in here, and have a real debate:

I am from Monroe, LA, and as a North Louisiana lover, Shreveport is my second home, I absolutly love it and believe it is second to New Orleans. The Downtown, is way more interesting that Baton Rouge's, Population rate is higher than Baton Rouge I believe it will surpass it in about 5 years. I mean come on, only reason Baton Rouge is interesting because its the state capital and LSU. Anutha interesting fact is people only live in Baton Rouge cuz the loves New Orleans but cant live there for numberous reasons like cost, crime, and schools or whatever. I not gonna give u all the reasons why higher elevated, fun, and sexy we are up here in the 318, but sorry, we about to take over Louisiana, and with Shreveport as the ring leader. So let the debates begin and North Louisiana lets stand up stand, 318!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Now let me make my mark in here, and have a real debate:

I am from Monroe, LA, and as a North Louisiana lover, Shreveport is my second home, I absolutly love it and believe it is second to New Orleans. The Downtown, is way more interesting that Baton Rouge's, Population rate is higher than Baton Rouge I believe it will surpass it in about 5 years. I mean come on, only reason Baton Rouge is interesting because its the state capital and LSU. Anutha interesting fact is people only live in Baton Rouge cuz the loves New Orleans but cant live there for numberous reasons like cost, crime, and schools or whatever. I not gonna give u all the reasons why higher elevated, fun, and sexy we are up here in the 318, but sorry, we about to take over Louisiana, and with Shreveport as the ring leader. So let the debates begin and North Louisiana lets stand up stand, 318!!!!!!!!
Baton Rouge's city population is a bit higher than Shreveport's and Baton Rouge's metro population is almost twice Shreveport's metro population.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for north Louisiana, you're mistaken.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Sorry, I won't debate this on this thread. Both have their qualities. While I believe neither is paradise, neither is a cess pool either. And I believe both are in the middle of pretty major revitalizations downtown. I believe both downtowns were boring and dead at one time in their histories.
And a majority of the people living in BTR don't want to live in NOLA, ever. BTR has distanced itself far away from NOLA for a long time (and that might have been half it's problem back in the day), but things are changing, statewide.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:49 PM

Moderator cut: edit, unnecessary sense your so into stats SBC, Check the rates of population growth compared to Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge population seems to stay the same, but Shreveport continues to rise steady. And its easy to have a nice metro with the help of Lafayette and New Orleans. Lets not forget all the people who come to LSU only to leave the state after graduation. HMMM.... maybe thats why the population remain stable, gain 15,000 lose 15,000. Okay, lets check the area of North Louisiana, not as cultural as southern louisiana right, but we seem to still may due for ourselves just fine. Theres no type of New Orleans around, no Lafayette, lol, no LSU, TULANE, PRO FOOTBALL, NO CAPITAL.....but why oh why Shreveport is growing so much without any help from the low caliber surrounding cities compared to Baton Rouge..?????

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-07-2008 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
IModerator cut: orphaned, sense your so into stats SBC, Check the rates of population growth compared to Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge population seems to stay the same, but Shreveport continues to rise steady.
Couple of thoughts: (1) Looking at city limits as opposed to metro areas is not looking at the entire picture, and (2) if you still wish to use population change as a yardstick of the quality of a metropolis, I'd be happy to use your yardstick:

1990-2006 population change in Caddo Parish: 5,000, or 2%
1990-2006 population change in Caddo/Bossier Parishes: 26,000, or 8%
1990-2006 population change in East Baton Rouge Parish: 49,000, or 13%
1990-2006 population change in East Baton Rouge/Livingston/Ascension Parishes: 132,000, or 26%

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-07-2008 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,915 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned, sense your so into stats SBC, Check the rates of population growth compared to Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge population seems to stay the same, but Shreveport continues to rise steady. And its easy to have a nice metro with the help of Lafayette and New Orleans. Lets not forget all the people who come to LSU only to leave the state after graduation. HMMM.... maybe thats why the population remain stable, gain 15,000 lose 15,000. Okay, lets check the area of North Louisiana, not as cultural as southern louisiana right, but we seem to still may due for ourselves just fine. Theres no type of New Orleans around, no Lafayette, lol, no LSU, TULANE, PRO FOOTBALL, NO CAPITAL.....but why oh why Shreveport is growing so much without any help from the low caliber surrounding cities compared to Baton Rouge..?????
Since you feel inclined to argue with false information, let me point out that Shreveport's population has been right around 200,000 since 1950... that's 50 years with no population gain, except annexing rural or suburban areas to boost the population for Census numbers to counteract our actual losses in population. There is concern that in the 2010 Census, Shreveport will have dropped below 200,000 since people are steadily moving to Bossier and DeSoto Parishes. Our metro population is growing, but Shreveport, itself, is not. Bossier City is absolutely booming, while Shreveport drools over the population gains and tries to find out what they can do to reverse the trend.

Baton Rouge's city and metro populations are both growing, and Baton Rouge DID see significant population gain during times when Shreveport did not. At one point Shreveport's population was greater than Baton Rouge, but Baton Rouge continued to attract residents into the city proper while Shreveport continued to lose.

Listen I live Shreveport-Bossier and want nothing more than to point out the positives, but I can't sit here and read incorrect information and allow it to pass as fact. It just doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-07-2008 at 03:09 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 07:52 PM

WOW U GUYS DID YOUR HOMEWORK, GOOD JOB. BUT U STILL LIVE IN NORTH LOUISIANA WITHIN A NORTHERN METRO, AND IT PRODUCED U AND NO MATTER WHERE YOUR NORTH LOUISIANA HEART AND NOTH LOUISIANA MIND TAKES U, U WILL ALWAYS HAVE NORTH LOUISIANA TO BLAME FOR IT!!! NOW AS FOR A BR RESIDENT, HERE'S A ANALOGY FOR YOU, BOSSIER CITY IS TO SHREVEPORT AS BATON ROUGE IS TO NEW ORLEANS. YOU FIGURE IT OUT. 318.....318.....318!!!!!! BY THE WAY, ISNT COASTAL LOUISIANA DISAPPEARING HMMM........HOPEFULLY WHEN PROBLEM START DOWN THERE AS FAR AS THE GEORGRAPHY AND LOW ELEVATION THE POPULATION UP NORTH WONT INCREASE. i WONDER WHAT CITY WILL THEY SEEK OUT FIRST? HMMMMM

Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
Hey, I myself do not want to see Baton Rouge population grow-we have enough already! I need to go to Shreveportand visit though. I hear so much about it!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Default Coastal Erosion

Quote:
WOW U GUYS DID YOUR HOMEWORK, GOOD JOB. BUT U STILL LIVE IN NORTH LOUISIANA WITHIN A NORTHERN METRO, AND IT PRODUCED U AND NO MATTER WHERE YOUR NORTH LOUISIANA HEART AND NOTH LOUISIANA MIND TAKES U, U WILL ALWAYS HAVE NORTH LOUISIANA TO BLAME FOR IT!!! NOW AS FOR A BR RESIDENT, HERE'S A ANALOGY FOR YOU, BOSSIER CITY IS TO SHREVEPORT AS BATON ROUGE IS TO NEW ORLEANS. YOU FIGURE IT OUT. 318.....318.....318!!!!!! BY THE WAY, ISNT COASTAL LOUISIANA DISAPPEARING HMMM........HOPEFULLY WHEN PROBLEM START DOWN THERE AS FAR AS THE GEORGRAPHY AND LOW ELEVATION THE POPULATION UP NORTH WONT INCREASE. i WONDER WHAT CITY WILL THEY SEEK OUT FIRST? HMMMMM
How about this.

Shreveport vs Baton Rouge-slide_0185_full.jpg

Baton Rouge isn't going anywhere. The lowest elevation around here is above 20 feet MSL, and most of the city is well above 30.
Of course, if we lose the coast, the we'll eventually become more suseptable, but not anytime in the near future.
I was going to argue the population thing, but I see other people already brought out the facts.
And people leave Baton Rouge just like they leave this whole state because of dirty politics, quality of life, education and or pay. It's a statewide problem, not just one city's.
Geez, this is a stupid argument.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 AM

It really is but its informative!!! North Louisiana best people ever!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana