Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM

53 posts, read 121,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
mod edit However, both cities have their pros and cons, but if I had to chose, I would go w/ Baton Rouge as my preference b/c I just would rather the southern part of the state over the north. The culture, the cooking, the festivals are just much more enjoyable. BR's crime rate has increased since Katrina, but Shreveport is not w/o it's crime and like BR, Shreveport has some parts that are not so nice (quality wise) either.
You make very good points here. And as I have told so many people over the years, some people are rooted in south Louisiana culture and will simply never like north Louisiana. The same goes for north Louisiana; there are so many rednecks up here who wouldn't give south Louisiana a chance.

Baton Rouge has crime, especially in certain neighborhoods, but so do New Orleans, Shreveport, Monroe, and even Alexandria.

I am a north Louisiana resident because this is home for me, but I know at any moment my job (oil & gas) could move me to south Louisiana, Houston, OKC or even Tulsa. But whatever happens, I will adapt.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-15-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
You do oil and gas research? I'm trying to get into the real estate research, but it's so hard to find a firm that's willing to take someone who's willing to help out. Plus the real estate market is not the best that I can be right now. Maybe after the presidential campaign things will pick up.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 PM

53 posts, read 121,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You do oil and gas research? I'm trying to get into the real estate research, but it's so hard to find a firm that's willing to take someone who's willing to help out. Plus the real estate market is not the best that I can be right now. Maybe after the presidential campaign things will pick up.
Research... well, to an extent. My job requires some research, but I don't work in geological research or anything like that. I work as a gas measurement analyst for the pipeline division of a large oil & gas company in the Haynesville Shale.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynyvyr View Post
I love this debate...silly and a bit dumb, but informative!
I am moving this week to Shreveport (YAY!) and am so excited and anxious and thrilled and...well, you get the idea, lol.

I have lived in 13 countries and 28 states...Louisiana will make it 29!
I have found that most areas somehow have a personality of their own that transfers to the people that live there...
Montana was the raw-boned cowboy...didn't say much, but the silence spoke volumes and what needed done, got done.
Virginia was the catty lady down the street...gracious to your face, but you just knew she'd talk behind your back after serving you a lovely dinner.
North Carolina...the pretty girl at school, blessed with looks, intelligence, wealthy parents and little common sense, but still, the best of your friends.
Germany was the jovial host and a table groaning under wonderful food and drink, but with sad secrets in the hosts eyes.
Spain was a troupe of dancers in jewel toned garb, gracefully leaping about the room with grace, but with no beginning or end.
Alabama was the smiling stranger that welcomed all as friends and made sure everyone had a cold glass of lemonade to cut the heat.
Missouri was the ramshackle family from the wrong side of the tracks, desperate in addiction, poverty and violence, but one or two manage to make it out despite it all.

Yes, I wax poetic...but that's just me.
Anyone want to wax poetic about Northern Louisiana or Shreveport or Baton Rouge...what are they like?
I know this thread and post is old but OMG!! I love your poetic descriptions! You said it in a way that most of us may think but could never adequately articulate. Love your post!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
sheveport has two sides to it I live in Shreveport u have a bad side and a good side we have gangs and mostly criminals then we have a business part of town, baton rouge is ehh ok but they have more of a population because some people who was in hurricane Katrina moved there but baton rouge,shreveport,and new Orleans are the most known cities in the whole Louisiana if u know what I mean.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:02 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
Lafayette has a bigger metro than Shreveport, actually. They even have an international festival that people actually go to. Plus the Tabasco Plant is there and it's the heart of Acadiana.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronblakes123 View Post
sheveport has two sides to it I live in Shreveport u have a bad side and a good side we have gangs and mostly criminals then we have a business part of town, baton rouge is ehh ok but they have more of a population because some people who was in hurricane Katrina moved there but baton rouge,shreveport,and new Orleans are the most known cities in the whole Louisiana if u know what I mean.
Baton Rouge is bigger because it is making progress, unlike Shreveport. Nothing to do with Katrina. Lafayette is probably more known than Shreveport now or in the near future.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Default It's #1

Lafayette is tied for #1 with Tokyo and Singapore as having the fastest gigabit internet in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Lafayette has a bigger metro than Shreveport, actually. They even have an international festival that people actually go to. Plus the Tabasco Plant is there and it's the heart of Acadiana.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
As someone who has spent some quality time in Shreveport I think it is a pretty city and the American rose garden can't be beat. From there, one year I visited Nachitoches to see just exactly where Steel Magnolias was filmed. Then I went onto the Town of St. Francisville where I visited the old historic Civil War era Catholic Church. It was an awe inspiring experience for me. We kept going and wound up in Baton Rouge. We stopped in some greasy flea bag diner that had the best barbecue I ever ate. I didn't want to leave. I would have stayed until closing. We went on to MS and the hotel across from the Gulf. This was before the evil twins Katrina and Rita visited NOLA. I returned about 4 years after the terms. NOLA was still a ghost town with a ton of cleanup problems and not much else.

We stopped for gas. I saw the employees with backpacks. One came in the gas station. I commented him on his diamond ear ring. He smiled wide. I saw perfect white teeth, one with gold around it; I hated him immediately. (joke). He was a nice young man. We chatted for a few minutes. I said that despite the upheaval I really like NOLA, I was comfortable. He smiled and said, "Wecome home!" It was likehe knew something I didn't.

In my opinion America has two very unusual states. Louisiana is one. I enjoy Shreveport. It's a beautiful city. If I move here I want to be near the Gulf simply because I love large bodies of water, but I don't want to be too far from NOLA or Nachitoches, either, which means I can get great food at Baton Rouge.

There are two or three things that I think sets LA far apart. The music greats and great chef's go without saying, but here is something that most don't think about. The artwork produced in this state is some kind of awesome. So is NOLA's Times-Picayune newspaper. It is one of the best written and best edited I ever got my hands on. The T-P is one of the few left in America that is not been gobbled up by a news syndicate and totally ruined before it is hidden behind a cheesy paywall. And of course LA is famous for its Bayou country music and 'gators.

It is a great state. . . enjoy it.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
Bienvenue en Louisiane mon cher! Vive la Louisiane!

Glad ya loved it. But it's a messed up state in bad ways too, make sure you are well aware of the bad before you get here. Louisiana is the least transplanted state for a reason. Still, it's my home and my heritage and I wouldn't live anywhere else, not even heaven.

The T-P articles are okay. Some of the writers are great, some are okay, some need to acknowledge neutral grounds as neutral grounds instead of medians, and a couple are just non-informative and whiny. They were recently bought by al.com ... it hasn't affected their writing much. T-P has the best comments section I've ever seen though. I can always lmao at what the people in and around this town have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana