Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,117,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
The weirdest thing happened to me yesterday... I was offered a promotion at my current job.
I'd take the promotion, Los Angeles is not the land of milk and honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM

58 posts, read 159,211 times
good luck... you have experience in the field that is downsizing at the moment.
take the advice and run with it, I'd say :-)

Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,371,102 times
There are jobs out there, but the competition for those jobs is SUPER fierce!!! It's totally an employer's market these days so they have the luxury to be really picky these days...

There are getting really strict on the technical/skills requirements that prospective applicants should have, and if they don't find anyone with a perfect match-up, they'll just keep waiting it out till they do. And of course they will offer a below-average salary for the job as well (which could easily be another huge thread in itself).

At least I received and accepte a job offer in San Diego for a very nice salary starting in mid-August. Although the commute is going to be hell, so I may have to relocate there, or rent a room from a relative's place near there.

Last edited by Lycanmaster; 06-07-2010 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: grammar corrections, more commentary

Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laviachi View Post
The job market is bad -- probably an unemployment rate of 20% including the entertainment industry. I know many individuals with degrees and strong backgrounds including tech industry types who have been out of work for over a year or more. LA is not a place to come without a job in this environment. If anything, people are considering leaving LA for brighter job prospects.
That's been my experience and impression as well...

Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
its very bad. I don't know how anyone can say its easy to find a job when the unemployment rate is 12%. The real unemployment rate is around 25%. 10k out here will last you 6 months, if that.
Quoted for truth...

Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Job prospects in Los Angeles dim, survey says | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 AM

13 posts, read 46,923 times
It really does depend on your background - some areas you will most likely find a job - from my own experience: everyone was saying that California didn't offer opportunities, to check other places, etc. But I went with my instinct. I did phone interviews (from MA where I live) but no offers only temp or travel agencies made offered. The interviewers at solid companies all said "oh if you were here we could discuss further". Sooooo... I scheduled face interviews with a few companies, I booked a flight for 2 weeks and rented a room in a home to where I wanted to eventually relocate. You may not believe this but I was offered 3 positions out of 4 interviews. The fourth one offered only 4-6 hours a week (the rest were full-time). After I left, I was called in for 2 more interviews but I was all ready back at that point. Both companies asked me to call them if I was to be in L.A. again. I turned down 2 of the 3 BUT one of them asked me to keep her number in case I wanted more hours somewhere else or if later on I found it wasn't working out for me at job # 1. So don't get discouraged. But yes plan accordingly, go armed with a solid resume, try to schedule interviews from your location now if possible and make them close to the place where you plan (or would like) to move to, don't look or sound desperate, be flexible, somewhat layed back but energetic if that makes sense. Don't give up some companies take 1-2 weeks to get back to you. (try to do job searches on Craigslist, careerbuilder, hotjobs, monster, etc see if your background is in demand. As for me, I am packing I move in a few weeks! So best of luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM

927 posts, read 2,469,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021
its very bad. I don't know how anyone can say its easy to find a job when the unemployment rate is 12%. The real unemployment rate is around 25%. 10k out here will last you 6 months, if that.

So, basically you're saying there is a 75% employment rate. 3 out or 4 people are working? I'll take those odds...

Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,995 times
That is one messed up story. I can't tell if the author has an agenda or is just really bad at statistics. Based on the title, I would say the former.

Here is a snippet from the article
Quote:
About 11% of companies in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana metro area plan to hire more employees between July and September, according to the Manpower Employment Outlook Survey, while 13% plan to decrease staff levels.

The survey says the net employment outlook is -2%,
Another
Quote:
In California, 17% of companies surveyed said they’d hire more employees, while 12% would reduce their payrolls, leading to a net employment increase of 5%
There are no conclusions that can be drawn on net employment with the gathered statistics.

There is a bit of good news as the article said the number of government jobs will be cut.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 PM

436 posts, read 909,578 times
yes it is really bad, it is worse than the rest of the nation, and not going to get better anytime soon. The state government is completely broke and trying to find new fees(taxes) to raise more money, this state is in a downward spiral, you really don't want to be here, i wish I could leave, but good luck selling a house now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles