Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 18,871 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm a guy from Europe who has thought of if it's really that nice in SoCal as I think it is. I really want to visit especially Los Angeles and its surroundings to see if it's fulfill my "expectations" about SoCal and the Los Angeles Area. But please, don't misunderstand me. The things which fascinates me about Southern California is not the whole "Glitter, Fashion and Hollywood" thing. No, it's actually the lifestyle, nature, climate and cultures in the area. Of course I have heard about problems in California too, like smog, immigrants, gangs and traffic. Maybe i'm just another California-dreamer, but I would like to hear from residents in California if I actually should chase my dream, which is to live in Southern California someday. Or would you consider me as an irritating immigrant?

Southern California is the place I dream of every single day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortKing View Post
I would like to hear from residents in California if I actually should chase my dream, which is to live in Southern California someday.
What line of work are you in?
What housing budget to you think you will have?
Will you be a net consumer of government services or a net producer of government revenue?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM

245 posts, read 712,508 times
If you're looking for lifestyle, climate, and culture, West Hollywood would be a good place. It also comes with the glitter, fashion and Hollywood, but I see that's not high on your list. We have less nature here, but we are bordered by hills to the north and about 10 miles from the beach. There are lots of traffic, but W. Hollywood is a walker's friendly little city within LA. I don't know about gangs and smog is minimal compared to the more inland downtown areas.

There are other possible areas like Santa Monica or other beach communities, but I think West Hollywood is a good representation of the stereotypical LA lifestyle.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Well, i'm still in school. But I assume it's okay to have a dream, which you can chase. I'm going to take a shipping trainee education, where there are good chances of stationing in different parts of the world. I just ask residents like you, if Southern California is the greatest place in the world. Your state has everything: succesful businesses (technology firms, game studios, film industry) , the beautiful nature (mountains, desert etc.), perfect warm dry subtropical climate (clear skies, palmtrees) and so on. I mean, I've read so much about California and the state is just fascinating. Or is it? That is my question

Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I just ask residents like you, if Southern California is the greatest place in the world.

the state is just fascinating. Or is it? That is my question
What do you mean by fascinating?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
There's good and bad to any city. It makes me laugh a little when people have this idea that So Cal is this magical place. In reality yes, we have palm trees, beautiful beaches, great food and beautiful scenery/weather but we also have bad traffic, a ton of homeless people, the worst gang problem in the country, high cost of living, high unemployment and this state is just about bankrupt. If you want magical visit all the tourist traps and go to Disneyland.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
If you're looking for lifestyle, climate, and culture, West Hollywood would be a good place. It also comes with the glitter, fashion and Hollywood, but I see that's not high on your list. We have less nature here, but we are bordered by hills to the north and about 10 miles from the beach. There are lots of traffic, but W. Hollywood is a walker's friendly little city within LA. I don't know about gangs and smog is minimal compared to the more inland downtown areas.

There are other possible areas like Santa Monica or other beach communities, but I think West Hollywood is a good representation of the stereotypical LA lifestyle.
Hi, thanks for answering. Well, the whole "Hollywood" thing isn't the reason why I think it's a fascinating place. Seriously, I'm quite sure that there isn't one day where i'm not thinking of Los Angeles... Seen from another perspective i can't figure out what I think is so fantastic about SoCal. Maybe it's because it got the whole package: nature, beaches, climate, the lifestyle, different cultures, mega city and so on. Los Angeles is one of the few places on earth, where it is like that. I'm going to visit L.A. as soon as possible to actually experience what the whole deal about the area is

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
There's good and bad to any city. It makes me laugh a little when people have this idea that So Cal is this magical place. In reality yes, we have palm trees, beautiful beaches, great food and beautiful scenery/weather but we also have bad traffic, a ton of homeless people, the worst gang problem in the country, high cost of living, high unemployment and this state is just about bankrupt. If you want magical visit all the tourist traps and go to Disneyland.
Hi, thanks for answering. Please don't misunderstand me, I read just as much bad about the area, as I have read good things. I don't turn the other cheek to the problems. I'd like to experience the real deal, and not just the tourist traps. I see the area as an area with great diversity, lifestyle and nature.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
What do you mean by fascinating?
It's hard to explain. A combination of different things: diversities, nature, climate, lifestyle and so on.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
nature, beaches, climate, the lifestyle, different cultures, mega city and so on.

On average, how many hours of TV and movies do you watch per week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles