Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times

Advertisements

You're hispanic. Dude... this is California !!! The rest of us have to learn spanish just to order from local Mickie Dees, Wendy, Carls....

Don't worry about racism. Treat others like you want to be treated and screw those who can't respect you for who you are.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
I teach at Pomona College. You will have NO trouble. Southern CA is predominately Hispanic now. No one cares.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,982 times
I actually like Claremont. I know that the KKK is strong in Claremont. Out of years of being here I have only had a few bad experiances, but yes it is Southern California and there are too many places to go to here. Claremont is a small town, but I like Cal Poly better then any school in this area. I am hispanic, but I can feel the KKK tension higher in the downtown Glendora area, but not all of Glendora. I think the other surrounding cities are just fine. I have seem many articles and on KKK biography movies that the KKK is in Claremont. San Dimas and the other cities here (downtown upland, covina, some of west covina, pasadena, altadena, San Marino, Diamond Bar, Walnut, Rancho, etc.) are pretty nice too.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,982 times
One more thing to add is that I have seen that many white people who do not experiance the racism do not see it, because it does not happen to them from other white people. When I first started dating my boyfriend he did not see it, but now he notices it usually before I do. He is white and I am hispanic. I know that this kind of racism can happen from both sides, but it has happened when we went out on dates in the area a few times and he told me to never go back there, because he couldn't stand the way I was treated. His views have changed completely. So I think that the white people who commented, who say there is no racism, may possible not know it exists because they don't experience it, but it is there. Overall, I am still scared to have a child in Claremont, although as of now I do like it here for myself and feel that it's beautiful (at least it's not like downtown Glendora). My really good friend who is a wealthy, beautiful and kind hearted African American says that she has grown up going to the Claremont schools and has really experienced terrible racism in this city.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherries2010 View Post
I actually like Claremont. I know that the KKK is strong in Claremont. Out of years of being here I have only had a few bad experiances, but yes it is Southern California and there are too many places to go to here. Claremont is a small town, but I like Cal Poly better then any school in this area. I am hispanic, but I can feel the KKK tension higher in the downtown Glendora area, but not all of Glendora. I think the other surrounding cities are just fine. I have seem many articles and on KKK biography movies that the KKK is in Claremont. San Dimas and the other cities here (downtown upland, covina, some of west covina, pasadena, altadena, San Marino, Diamond Bar, Walnut, Rancho, etc.) are pretty nice too.
The KKK are just a bunch of white clowns with sheets over their heads. They disgust me as much as the gangs do.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,533 times
My two kids have gone to Claremont schools for a total of 26 years (kindergarten through high school). I live with neighbors of all racial makeup on all sides of me - and it's the Caucasian ones who are snooty and don't keep up their properties (I'm also Caucasian). There are several interracial couples on my street, and they are wonderful people. My daughters both have close friends who are Hispanic and Asian. In fact, my older one will apparenlty only date outside of the Caucasian race for some unknown reason, but that does not make a difference. It's just an oddity. The city and school board politics are a mess here, and the schools have trashed their instrumental music program in the last 4 years (my one daughter is a music major in college now), but otherwise I highly recommend Claremont. It is relatively safe (if you take normal caution), fairly quiet (ambient MetroLink noise, reeway "swoosh", and small plane takeoff from nearby airport, depending on where you live), and still a reasonably good investment in real estate. Downtown is a gem (but the part recently opened on west side of Indian Hill may not sustain itself long), we have a decent library system and lots of local music (several adult symphony orchestras and several youth ones - CYMO being the best) and cultural events because of the colleges.

Yes, there is a very small focus of neo-nazi activity, but it is everywhere, and they do not make much of a fuss. In the last year there was a demonstration here (I believe it was about illegal border crossings), but it is the first time to my knowledge, and most of the demonstrators (about 40) were from out of town. We (the counter-demonstrators) were in the thousands, right across the street from them. No one was hurt, and the police did a good job.

If you choose Claremont, I believe you would be happy here no matter your racial makeup.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,447 times
I have lived in Claremont for 6years. I have multi-racial children in the school system. This is a peacful place. Friendly neighbors create a family atmosphere. But be aware...you may not want to go back to NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles